PDA

View Full Version : 91' Prostar 190 with 160 hours???

jomiddour
06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
After recent electrical issues which fried my stereo and gas guage i pulled the dash to do some investigating. There is a depth finder in the place where the hour meter should be and upon pulling the dash I discovered that the hour meter was still wired up behind the dash. I checked to see if it works and it does! The meter read 160 hours, does anyone believe this could be true? The boat was originally on a lake in a boathouse in upstate NY. (season is only two months long)

flipper
06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe they only put 160 hours on it in almost 20 years

jomiddour
06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
So do I. I've had the boat for nine months, its in great shape, runs like a top, and has the original interior in very good shape which makes me want to believe it but if I had to guess it has more than that on it.

damaged442
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
When I picked up my Tristar 6 years ago, it only had 190 hours on it. I think it's definitely possible. There was actually an early 90s Prostar on my lake that stayed in the boathouse and was rarely used. I saw the boat out maybe once a month. Do you happen to know where in NY the boat was from? I would say you have scored quite nicely with that boat, especially if it's in such good shape.

oldriver
06-25-2009, 01:39 PM
when I purchased my 1998 in November 2007 it had 74 hours on it verified with the ecm.Why not ???

WishIWasSkiing
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I bought my 96 with 113 hours on it last year. The original owner was holding onto it hoping his son would buy it but he wasn't interested. Runs like new (because it basically is new), but with double the hours on it now. So yeah, it could be accurate.

jomiddour
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
My understanding is that it was in a boat house on one of the finger lakes since new. Somehow a gentleman in GA acquired it last summer and then discovered he didn't want the expense or hassle of storing and trailering a boat so I bought it in the fall. I've actually got the original registration card with the name and city in my file on the boat but it is at my house. I'll get back to you on the city name.

mikeyg
06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
i bought a 1991 ps190 a few months back and it had only 250 hours on it. The boat is in great shape and was barely used by an older fella that my buddy used to work with. I did have to put a new carb on it because the other was gunked up from sitting. I sent the other off to get rebuilt and couldn't wait for it to come back so i had skidim send me out a new one. Now I have 2 carbs if anyone is interested in a freshly rebuilt carb with only 250 hours :)

I'd say just consider the overall condition of the boat - with 160 hours it should look pretty mint still.

jomiddour
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
It does. A little minor oxidation on the stern I buffed out upon purchase and a couple of small spider webs in the gel that are barely noticeable. 1) around the nose where I assume someone hit the trailer a little hard and 2) around the stern light insert where someone must have leaned on the light pole

Neither are an issue or close to unsightly enough to consider having fixed. If the hours are correct do you think it adds value to the boat significantly?

92 190 PS
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Bought my 190 a couple years back with low 300 hours on it. Sat in a warehouse where 2 brother business owners bought matching boats and used the other one for about 10 years. Good news is it had 300 when I bought it, not so good news is it now has 515 hours on it after 2 years. But what the heck that is what I bought it for...

east tx skier
06-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Bought a 98 model year boat with 190 hours on it in 2007. Of course, with Fords, you never know for sure. But I don't doubt the meter in my case.

rholmes
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I Wouldn't be surprised. Picked up my 90 maristar with barely 200hrs on the clock in september of 07

mikeyg
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
i think that the lower hour older boats are more desireable for people looking for a boat of its kind. that being said - i feel that it should bring a little more money than one with average/high hours for the year. like i said before - overall condition is a huge selling point. you could have a boat of the same year with 800 hours but kept up in mint condition with no tear in the stock upholstery and good carpet, etc... and i think it would bring good money as well. it all depends on how the previous owner kept the boat up - the low hours are just like putting the cherry on top.

before i bought mine - I looked at a 96 ps205 w/ 700 hours and a 98 ps205 w/ 530 hours. Both of the boats were no comparison to the boat i have now. they both needed new upholstery and looked like they had been run hard. the 96 looked better than the 98 but neither of them would of made me happy.

Now ones opinion is way different than anothers. both boat owners told me over the phone that their boats were mint and ready to go. I did not feel that that was true at all. The buddy that i took with me to look at the boats thought that both of them were awesome boats and would of bought either one.

sorry for the rambling...

Muttley
06-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I think you could tell just buy the condition. At 190 hours the boat would be MINT... NO wear on the upholstery, carpet, or anything. The bilge would be pretty spotless.

My '92 had a measly 400 hours when I bought it. The carpet has minor wear and it's a tad shiny where the hands grasp the steering wheel. A few scratches in the swim grid from skis and stuff. Minor nicks in the rub rail. Little things that are normal wear.

I looked at a few with 900+ hours. Seams in the back seat starting to stretch, major carpet wear, duller gelcoat, swirls on the gunwale from stepping in... even well kept boats ten to get a little greasy in the bilge. Corners of the upholstery wearing off, shiny spot on the anodized aluminum on the windshield from people putting there hands on it...

I'm not saying these are bad things... normal wear is just that. Normal. 190 hours would have abnormally light wear.

...it's the internet. I always feel I have to over-explain things. 8p