PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X2 ipod??

cal2vin
06-25-2009, 01:23 AM
I recently bought a 2008 x2 and notice that the clarion stock head unit has an aux button that has ipod written underneath it but I can't for the life of me find the aux connection or an ipod connection? Is there a seperate adapter that needs to be plugged in or what? Also I see the sat button for satellite radio. Is that included with the boat or is it just capable of satellite radio?

redrobster78
06-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Well I have an 07 so things might be slightly different. The radio is capable for sat radio but obviously you have to pay for that, as for the ipod connection look right in back of the throttle. There should be a black cap, open it up and plug in your ipod. Its a standard cord that should have come with your x2... Hope that helps!

cal2vin
06-25-2009, 03:04 AM
I cant look at the actual boat right now but I looked at some pictures I had taken and I think I see the black cap behind the throttle Ill check it out tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!

cal2vin
06-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I do have another question. Is there anyway to isolate the tower speakers so everyone in the boat isnt getitng blown away when trying to give the rider some music?

bturner2
06-25-2009, 06:59 AM
You can but you'll have to add a device like this.....

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep.php?prod_id=446

It plugs in between the outputs of the stereo and the amp for the tower speakers. You then run the control over to the dash so you can adjust the speaker volume to the desired level remotely.

StuSX
06-25-2009, 07:53 AM
try the fade on your Clarion to isolate the towers, which will turn off the cabin speakers.

bigmac
06-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I recently bought a 2008 x2 and notice that the clarion stock head unit has an aux button that has ipod written underneath it but I can't for the life of me find the aux connection or an ipod connection? Is there a seperate adapter that needs to be plugged in or what? Also I see the sat button for satellite radio. Is that included with the boat or is it just capable of satellite radio?

What model Clarion do you have? Their current model CMD6 has a USB port on the back for direct connection to the iPod's dock connector using the standard iPod USB cable. This not only provides direct line-out, but allows you head-unit control of the iPod as well.

Does is look like this? If so, your iPod is a direct plug-in to the USB port on the back.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/260/465/CMD6-US_01.jpg

If it's a CMD5

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/328/782/CMD5-US_01.jpg

then you need an EA1276 interface to get line-out and iPod control.

With the CMD5, you still have the option of plugging the iPod into the head unit's AUX RCA jacks with a $4 RCA-minijack adapter cable. It's not line-out, however, and you wouldn't be able to control the iPod with the head unit or the remote.

Witness140
06-25-2009, 10:25 AM
The jack located over by the throttle can be used for an IPOD - but that is a standard aux IN port. It is not an "IPOD adapter" A true IPOD adapter connects through the Cnet port on the newer Clarions. It allows the head to control the IPOD, displaying song data on the head unit and remote - and allowing control of the IPOD through standard stereo controls.

You can buy this adapter online at a pretty reasonable price. Alternatively, you can use a cord to go between the throttle aux IN and your IPOD, but you will have to control the IPOD from the IPOD and will not have the ability to charge/power/run the IPOD like you would with the adapter.

bigmac
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
The jack located over by the throttle can be used for an IPOD - but that is a standard aux IN port. It is not an "IPOD adapter" A true IPOD adapter connects through the Cnet port on the newer Clarions. It allows the head to control the IPOD, displaying song data on the head unit and remote - and allowing control of the IPOD through standard stereo controls.

As I mentioned, the newest Clarion (CMD6) has a direct USB interface with the iPod - no adapter required - just the dock cable that comes with the iPod. It's true, however, that a 2008 MasterCraft probably uses a previous Clarion model and probably does require a CeNET interface module if the user doesn't want to plug in using the headphone jack. I see that Amazon has that EA1276 iPod CeNET adapter for $50. One needs to be a little careful about these iPod adapter modules. They are not always compatible with all iPod models or versions.

If you're going to go from the iPod to an AUX connector instead of a direct interface (USB or CeNET), there are line-out to auxiliary input adapter cables for the iPod. The lin-out audio going from the dock connector will be cleaner than going through the iPod headphone jack.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/renderImage.image?imageName=products/ipod/ipod-x-neutrik-dock-to-mini.jpg&width=300&height=200&padding=0 http://www.ramelectronics.net/renderImage.image?imageName=products/ipod/ipod-x-nuetrik-dock-to-rca.jpg&width=300&height=200&padding=0

cal2vin
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
The input Jack below the throttle was exactly what I was looking for. I have the older head unit by the way. I would rather control music from the iPod anyways. Thanks for the help.

cal2vin
06-30-2009, 04:10 PM
has anyone else had a problem with the aux cord not fitting into the socket below the throttle because it is so deep and the cable's head is too wide to fit inside the hole to allow the plug to fully insert into the jack. I have tried to cable's so far but maybe I just need a smaller one.

ttu
06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
has anyone else had a problem with the aux cord not fitting into the socket below the throttle because it is so deep and the cable's head is too wide to fit inside the hole to allow the plug to fully insert into the jack. I have tried to cable's so far but maybe I just need a smaller one.

i had to unscrew the bracket and pull the cable forward and then put back, problem here is when you undue the cord and then reinstall, same thing happens.

i used liquid cement on the bracket and input and all has been good.

FamilyX2
06-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Looks like most questions have been answered.

Just to add.... when i ordered my 2008 X2, it came with the CMD5 head unit and the IPod interface was an 'option'.

ckornutiak
06-30-2009, 11:06 PM
The input Jack below the throttle was exactly what I was looking for. I have the older head unit by the way. I would rather control music from the iPod anyways. Thanks for the help.

I have the CMD5 in my 09 X7 and bought the iPod adapter cable for it from Crutchfield for $50.00. It plugs into the back of the CMD5 and you can control some of the iPod functions from the head and the remote. You can't get to your play-lists, but you can skip fwd and back etc. It charges the iPod as well which is mainly why I bought it.

bturner2
07-01-2009, 08:40 AM
I recently upgraded to a CMD6 and have an iPOD adapter from my CMD5 if anyone is looking for one. It's the one that plugs into CNET port on the back of the CMD5 and supports full iPOD support.

Kell
09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
I have the CMD5 in my 09 X7 and bought the iPod adapter cable for it from Crutchfield for $50.00. It plugs into the back of the CMD5 and you can control some of the iPod functions from the head and the remote. You can't get to your play-lists, but you can skip fwd and back etc. It charges the iPod as well which is mainly why I bought it.I picked up a 09 X2 with the CMD5 and iPod interface as well. So there is no way to select playlists from the drivers side remote? Bummer :(

Thrall
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
My '06 has the Clarion CMD4 and no Ipod jacks wired in. I used the aux input jacks and a cheap $14 cable to plug the ipod in. This winter, I'll get a better jack that I can mount permanently, like the one by the throttle. This still requires you to change music thru the ipod, not the head unit.
Regarding fading from boat speakers to tower speakers, right now, I have a 2ch amp running 2 tower speakers, hooked up to the rear pre amp outs on the stereo. A sub running off the non-fade pre amp outs and the boat speakers running directly off the head unit. I'm planning on getting a 2 channel amp for the boat speakers and hooking it to the front pre amp outs (Can you effectively run 4 spkrs off of 2 channels if you have enough amp power??? I realize you coudn't fade F to R in the boat).
Then the fader on the head unit could fade to in the boat, just the tower, or both.

surfacetension
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Just go to the back of your head unit and diconnect the Aux jacks, plug your Ipod direct using a simple rca to ipod cable run the wire thru the drain in the glove box and put your Ipod on the dash , I have 1500 songs and if I ran it thru the head unit It would take forever to scroll thru the music , The jack under the thottle is a Pain and you can not find a cable that will fit tight enough , there are many other ways to do it but this worked great for me
Just my 2 cents

djhuff
09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
On a side note, if you are using the AUX connection, and have an iPhone, there is an app that will adjust the volume based on your speed, just turn up the boat radio, and let the iPhone do the volume changes. It's called "Adaptunes" I haven't had a chance to try it in the boat yet, but it works great in the car.

Kell
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
09 X2 with the CMD5, iPod CNET interface and driver side remote here. Since the drivers side remote does not allow selecting playlists and the like, I was thinking of upgrading to the CMD6 and getting the new remote (Clarion MW1) (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2010/marine/remotes/MW1/us-en-product-pf_1259392722120.html), it appears that this set up would allow selecting playlists from the driver side remote. Would the CMD6 basically be plug and play. System set up is two amps, two speakers on the tower, and cockpit speakers, all stock. Thanks.

bturner2
04-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Yep. You won't even have to replace the wiring harness. Just unplug everything, take out the old radio, install the new one and plug everything back in. You'll probably want to also add the iPOD USB port in the glove box. Pretty simple stuff. I swapped mine out last year and love the new set up.

X-Aggie
04-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Yep. You won't even have to replace the wiring harness. Just unplug everything, take out the old radio, install the new one and plug everything back in. You'll probably want to also add the iPOD USB port in the glove box. Pretty simple stuff. I swapped mine out last year and love the new set up.

I assume besides the hassle of changing remotes and remote wires.

bturner2
04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah. I did the remote two weeks ago and I'm still pulling fiberglass shards out of my arms and hands.The new remote adds another pin to the connector so the old cable has to go.

You get to remove and fish the new cable around the bow then deal with the panel where the new remote is located. I was able to remove all the screws and pull the panel back far enough without pulling it completely off. My cable was routed past the remote almost to the cup holders, then looped back to the remote which took a while to figure out.

It's worth the effort though. The new remote really is an improvement for controlling the iPOD. You may also want to check out my post on "daylight running lights". The way the back lighting was wired caused a problem with the dash and running lights coming on anytime the radio was on.

X-Aggie
04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
You may also want to check out my post on "daylight running lights". The way the back lighting was wired caused a problem with the dash and running lights coming on anytime the radio was on.

Well that sounds interesting. Will do.

X-Aggie
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Among other things the added pin on the new remote wire is used to control the backlighting straight from the HU. You have had no problems with this since you disconnected the "ILL" wire from the back of the remote? Also good to hear the harness stayed plug and play. It was supposed to change, and I've been to lazy to go out and have a look to verify for myself.

bturner2
04-26-2010, 01:01 PM
No problems since. That explains a lot on why the lights were coming on. Wish I could have figured that out before shelling out $20 for a switch that wasn't broken.

I left the old harness in place and shipped the one I got with the new radio off to France to the new owner of my old radio. He bought it, the old remote and cable off me that I listed in the classified section. Glad to see someone else using it rather than it sitting in a box for a couple ears before throwing it away.

EMS fltops
04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
My 2008 X2 came with an integrated iPod jack in the glove box. The cable comes out of the right sidewall. Simple plug and play.

bturner2
04-26-2010, 06:20 PM
That plug is just for playback and won't control or charge the iPOD. The newer model does it all and can even play from a USB key. The new stereo and remote offer a lot more function that I was looking for. The new remote is also very easy to see in full sunlight. I'm very happy with the upgrade and was able to find everything for well under list on the web.

msutoad
05-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I have the XMD5 with the ipod connector in the glove box. It works great on my video ipod, but will not charge my iPod touch. I am assuming that because of the accelerometers, I need more juice. Anyone else have this issue?

X-Aggie
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Starting with the 2nd generation iPod Touch only can be charged from the 5V pin of the dock connector, while most previous iPod models and the original iPod Touch could also be charged from the 12V pin for firewire power, resulting in the newer iPod Touch not charging in vehicles equipped with an firewire-based iPod connection. Most aftermarket manufacturers of such equipment however are producing new cables and/or adapters, that essentially just kick down the voltage from 12 to 5.

C/O Wikipedia

msutoad
05-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the info. So has anyone seen if this new cable is available from Clarion? I have looked a little, but the data I have found does not seem to be real specific to state that it support the new devices. Thanks

Jason