PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle

mccobmd
06-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Ok, It's been three years since I popped my ACL on a slalom. Since then all wakeboarding. This winter I really worked to strenghten quads and hamstrings to support the knee. Got out my Connely Mid SX which I used to love for free riding and it's easy starts. Grew up on an Obrien World Team Comp. Got back behind the X1 with a deep V rope. Got up the first time, no problem with the knee (in a large brace). Felt really wobbly at first after 2 years of only wakeboarding. By the end of a set I was starting lay it back out a little. I had forgotten the almost weightless feeling as you come out of your cut and accelerate, the spray on the back leg, the speed on the edges... Brought back a lot of great memories and some hope to stay on it in the future. I know several people on the board have had injuries lately an just want to tell you, rehab it like you should and you'll get back to what you love.

cf_koch
06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Welcome back. My wife is going through the same process after blowing out her ACL in a soccer injury last summer. She has worked on her strength and returned to soccer. She has learned to wakeboard this summer and is enjoying learning a new skill but is quite eager to return to her ski. I'm going to have her read your post for encouragement.

bigmac
06-25-2009, 08:47 AM
If it were me, with every turn, my mind would be envisioning that devascularized tendon graft and the suture anchors that hold it in place.

mpabreo
06-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Injuries suck! Ive been out for 6 weeks with a high ankle sprain. Towing friends both slalom and boarding and I've had to tell myself, a few more weeks, dont go and delay the injury further. Its eating me alive! My goal is July 6th to get back out, probably just light riding, nothing to crazy. 2 weeks after that will return to large jumps on the board and hard cuts on the ski.

flipper
06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Glad to hear you are back at it

Patrick Hardy
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Welcome back to the saddle, it has missed you! Once you have become addicted to the high speed adrenaline slalom world, there is no cure or leaving it! Remember after a injury, take it slow and easy, the summer has just started.