PDA

View Full Version : decal ?

flat broke
06-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I have been thinking it's time to compound,seal,wax and buff the ride. so I have read on here it is better to remove the decals first. what is the best way to ? I know their is some guys on here that have done this so if you had to do it again anything you may have done different ? thanks for any help :D

TMCNo1
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
It's really best to remove the decals and can be done easily with a heat gun (low heat), a plastic squeegie or credit card or new plastic putty knife, use it to pick up the decal corner and gently pull off as you lightly heat. Use mineral spirits, adhesive remover or lacquer thinner to remove any remaining adhesive and wax along the decal edges. You will probably have a shadow or ghost of the decals even after polishing due to fade around the decals and the fact the decals have protected the gelcoat underneath all these years. Use the shadow as the location to reapply the new decals and also measure and note the location of the decals just for record. Remember, after you do all the polishing, sealing, waxing, you will need to remove the wax in the decal area before applying the new decals with denatured alcohol so they will stick good, then rewax the areas around the decals after your done.
BTW, I suggest getting at least one spare decal of each kind or word, emblem, etc. of the new decals in case you ever need to make repairs so the decals will match in the future.

flat broke
06-24-2009, 09:58 PM
It's really best to remove the decals and can be done easily with a heat gun (low heat), a plastic squeegie or credit card or new plastic putty knife, use it to pick up the decal corner and gently pull off as you lightly heat. Use mineral spirits, adhesive remover or lacquer thinner to remove any remaining adhesive and wax along the decal edges. You will probably have a shadow or ghost of the decals even after polishing due to fade around the decals and the fact the decals have protected the gelcoat underneath all these years. Use the shadow as the location to reapply the new decals and also measure and note the location of the decals just for record. Remember, after you do all the polishing, sealing, waxing, you will need to remove the wax in the decal area before applying the new decals with denatured alcohol so they will stick good, then rewax the areas around the decals after your done.
BTW, I suggest getting at least one spare decal of each kind or word, emblem, etc. of the new decals in case you ever need to make repairs so the decals will match in the future.

you the man harold! thank you very much for your info. I would have never even thought to remove the wax before I would have installed new decals. thanks again:D

flipper
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
One of those rubber "erasers" in a drill work great. No sticky mess at all. 3M makes one IIRC

TMCNo1
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
One of those rubber "erasers" in a drill work great. No sticky mess at all. 3M makes one IIRC
Like this, but can easily become a bad experience for the untrained and for someone with no patience. I've seen the damage done by someone wanting a painted pinstripe and used a eraser to remove two week old vinyl tape stripes from a brand new car, it wasn't pretty and the whole side of the car had to be painted.