PDA

View Full Version : newbie needing help

NoMoreBeggin MC
06-24-2009, 05:45 PM
What is the best way to fix this little hole? I think it is coming from the trailer. Its a 82 s and s

flipper
06-24-2009, 06:06 PM
That's a pretty big one. I think I'd have a glass shop do it myself. Make sure to fix the trailer!!!!

NoMoreBeggin MC
06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
It is a newer trailer, I think a 91. I put it pretty deep in the water, could that be why its rubbing?... we typically crank it pass the point it looks like it would touch.

What about some kind of patch for the hole? is there anything out there

TMCNo1
06-24-2009, 06:36 PM
It looks like the boards for the trailer bunks are giving up the ghost and the weight of the boat on them is causing the keel to drop lower in the trailer and scraping the crossmember even though it is protected by the flimsey plastic/rubber protector. But, that much damage was probably aided by someone beaching the boat on sand and gravel bottoms. The gelcoat and fiberglass layers can only take the grinding so long before it starts showing up as you picture it.

TMCNo1
06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
It is a newer trailer, I think a 91. I put it pretty deep in the water, could that be why its rubbing?... we typically crank it pass the point it looks like it would touch.

What about some kind of patch for the hole? is there anything out there

That helps explain it too, the boat doesn't properly fit the trailer. It is a "C" channel trailer, right and probably backing the trailer in too deep?
It's more like a '87 to '90 trailer, as the '91 was the first of the tube trailer trailers and only those years had the crossmember protector like this pic and I glued carpet on it to keep the keel from rubbing the plastic/rubber protector, yet it still rubs it some, but with a good coat of spray wax occasionally no keel damage has been done.

NoMoreBeggin MC
06-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Well the carpet will be added to that rubber "protector" shortly. Any do it yourself advice on repairing the hole?

TMCNo1
06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Well the carpet will be added to that rubber "protector" shortly. Any do it yourself advice on repairing the hole?

By the looks of it, someone has already tried to do some type of repairs with Bondo, rather than fiberglass mat, resin and gelcoat or paint and it didn't work.

D3skier
06-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree with flipper... I'd have a glass shop do it because it looks like there's quite a bit of wear there from the amount of bare fiberglass that is showing

MCVOLS
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Where are you located? It sounds like the price of a repair may be an issue, but I am sure you can get some good recomendations on repair shops in your area from the people on here.

Dball
06-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Get some Kitty hair use that on the bad area it has long fiberglass strans and resin in it, you can find it at walmart,then block that down and then skim the the entire damage area with some Duraglass great stuff easy to sand and finish off. Then you will have to shoot some gel on it or atleast cover with a apoxy primer/sealer so the fillers don't absorb water. It looks like it has been repaired before. Do you beach the boat?

Bellinghamster
06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
It looks like the gelcoat and outer laminates have been worn away due to beaching the boat. It's possible that the "hole" is just breaching a void in the hull layup, but much more serious if it's all the way through all the structural layers, in which case it was probably a combination of previous collision damage and beaching. Poke a sharp object (nail, small screwdriver, etc.) up there - does it hit another layer of solid glass? Does it seem like it's just a bubble in the laminate? Is the boat leaking through that hole?

If it's just worn through a thin layer (1/16-1/8" of glass) into a void, and not leaking, you can open it up (cut away the thin edges) and pack it with "kitty-hair" (resin with glass fiber reinforcement), Marine Tex (epoxy filler), or other two-part structural fillers, automotive body filler (Bondo) being the last choice since it absorbs water and since it is made for sanding smooth it is really soft and will wear away again.

If it's through all the layers, I would recommend consulting a professional. You certainly can do it yourself, but doing it right will take some research and practice. The correct way to fix it is to grind away all the fractured laminate (anything squishy or where the resin is cracked) and lay up new laminate (glass mat and cloth saturated with polyester or epoxy resin). It's tricky to work upside-down since gravity pulls everything off. Once nice thining about working on a concave edge is that once you build up enough layers of glass you can tape plastic (visqueen or cut open grocery bag) tightly over it to "squish" the laminate in place. There are lots of how-to's on fiberglass repair on the web.

TayMC197
06-25-2009, 03:44 PM
I had the gel coat fade away on the keel and the epoxy was showing. It was like that when I bought it. I took it to a professional to get the structure checked and had him re-gel the area. Then he pollished the rest of the boat for a fair price. Looks great and I was only out about 400 bucks.
I also added a keel guard that you can get out of overtons or cabela's. Since I do beach my boat I figured it would be a safe investment.

NoMoreBeggin MC
06-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I am located around Atlanta. I have not beached the boat, but I'm pretty sure the previous owners did. The hole is all the way through. It does take on water. I am putting a new motor in at the moment so money is kinda tight right now. Would like to do it myself but if severe enough I will take my baby to a shop.
Anyone know of a good fiberglass shop around Atlanta?

Jorski
06-25-2009, 05:21 PM
You do need to let it dry out in rder fix it properly. You don't want watertrying to work is' way out of your repair.

For that much damage, I would at least get a fibreglass guy to take a look at it...and give you some guidance.