PDA

View Full Version : beach ?

flat broke
06-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey guy's this may be a very dumb ? keep in mind my first and other boat is a flat bottom v-drive. Sometimes when I scroll through threads and or see pics of peoples boat's they some times have them "beached" like completely pulled up on the sand ? I know there is tracking fins on the bottom not to mention the waves beating your prop and rudder into the ground. what is the deal ? I treat my direct drive like my flatty nose out to the waves and about a 1 to 2 foot clearance between the prop and ground tied up front and back. wont that cause damage to the boat ? I know I/O and pump boat's is no biggie if you like scratches on your hull. just something I see it seems like to much. just would like to know and see what are some of your guys opinion ?

Hoosier Bob
06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Keep doing what you are doing. Some beach some don't. I do not beach my ride. I know Harold/TMC Number 1 beaches his craft all the time but as a rule do not beach. In perfectly calm water on soft sand maybe but if not do as you are doing.Hey guy's this may be a very dumb ? keep in mind my first and other boat is a flat bottom v-drive. Sometimes when I scroll through threads and or see pics of peoples boat's they some times have them "beached" like completely pulled up on the sand ? I know there is tracking fins on the bottom not to mention the waves beating your prop and rudder into the ground. what is the deal ? I treat my direct drive like my flatty nose out to the waves and about a 1 to 2 foot clearance between the prop and ground tied up front and back. wont that cause damage to the boat ? I know I/O and pump boat's is no biggie if you like scratches on your hull. just something I see it seems like to much. just would like to know and see what are some of your guys opinion ?

flat broke
06-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Keep doing what you are doing. Some beach some don't. I do not beach my ride. I know Harold/TMC Number 1 beaches his craft all the time but as a rule do not beach. In perfectly calm water on soft sand maybe but if not do as you are doing.

Thank you I am glad to know its not just me.

Interesting for one harolds boat looks like he just bought it off the show room floor. Two I would think it would not be good for the boat at all! I just could not picture my boat just being bounced up and down as the waves come in. And my boat is not even that expensive compared to other boats on here.

JohnE
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
HB's been smokin and drinkin as usual. He's half serious. #1 don't beach his boat. The only sand on his boat is what's left over on the platform from sanding the teak.

JohnE
06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey, Flat Broke you stole my old signature! When the hell did you do that?

flat broke
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey, Flat Broke you stole my old signature! When the hell did you do that?

Sorry I did not mean to steal your old signature :) But I did it when I signed up here on TT. I just thought it would be a good fitting name for me considering how much money I have wasted on my other boat! Thanks for the heads up on HB lol

JohnE
06-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Sorry I did not mean to steal your old signature :) But I did it when I signed up here on TT. I just thought it would be a good fitting name for me considering how much money I have wasted on my other boat! Thanks for the heads up on HB lol

Nope, not username.....signature. I changed mine from what you have to what I have about a month ago. I used it for around a year. No harm, it just caught my eye after I posted. It's all yours now.:cool:

flat broke
06-23-2009, 10:54 PM
O crap you will have to forgive me see I am not that smart to pick that up right away :) I am on a lot of different forums and saw it and liked it but could not remember where I saw it from. :(

coz
06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
No wake zone, sandy beach, I do :D

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/060-2.jpg

Hoosier Bob
06-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh. I get! The heads up! Harold not only beaches his ride his trailer rails are covered with grip tape!;)Sorry I did not mean to steal your old signature :) But I did it when I signed up here on TT. I just thought it would be a good fitting name for me considering how much money I have wasted on my other boat! Thanks for the heads up on HB lol

TMCNo1
06-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Keep doing what you are doing. Some beach some don't. I do not beach my ride. I know Harold/TMC Number 1 beaches his craft all the time but as a rule do not beach. In perfectly calm water on soft sand maybe but if not do as you are doing.

Yea right! I did once, but someone before us has placed a piece of carpet on the beach bottom and I thought that was cool, till I realized sand had settled on the carpet and have never done it again. Plus, the water was plenty deep under the polished fins, strut, prop and rudder for them to touch, but just the thought scared the devil out of me.

flat broke
06-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Yea right! I did once, but someone before us has placed a piece of carpet on the beach bottom and I thought that was cool, till I realized sand had settled on the carpet and have never done it again. Plus, the water was plenty deep under the polished fins, strut, prop and rudder for them to touch, but just the thought scared the devil out of me.

lol beautiful boat harold she is one of a kind!

flat broke
06-24-2009, 01:22 AM
No wake zone, sandy beach, I do :D

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/060-2.jpg

nice boat :) so never any problems ?

brucemac
06-24-2009, 02:44 AM
i beach mine to let some old folks off and on. :)

i think depends on the boat. the care, the current, the wind, everything.

coz
06-24-2009, 06:38 AM
nice boat :) so never any problems ?

Thanks, that's as rough as the water gets back here on this section of the lake, I wouldn't beach if there were wakes & traffic to slosh the boat around. Never a prob.

dpolen
06-24-2009, 06:52 AM
We beach our Maristar every weekend. I've probably got a couple small scratches in the gel from doing this over the years, but I didn't buy my boat to sit and look pretty...I'll probably get blasted by some for saying this, but my boat sits in the water all summer...very seldom is it spotless clean. When beaching, I do look for the softest spot, there has to be a drop off deep enough to allow me to get to the beach without running the prop aground, if not, we'll find another location.

CameronCarey
06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
So...............i need to send you a picture of what 32 years of beaching and 3000 hours can do to a boat. I will see if i can snap a pic and upload it today.

Double D
06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
The only time I ever beached my boat was in a smooth water cove and on a peice of carpet that I put down. See "BT" Picture. (Before Tower), and the water had a large drop off. Same goes for my brothers Nautique.
Other than that, its hanging out several feet off shore. Why take the chance?

flat broke
06-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Nice guys see this is what I wanted to see and hear thanks for all the replys :D Some of the pics that I have seen other places were lets just say not so good of an area or spot!

hawaiianstiln
06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Coz, I was wondering if you beached yours in the back at Saguaro!! I beached mine for the first time and scratched the CRAP out of it. Which sucked, because I picked this boat up 3 weeks ago without a scratch on it. Oh well, learning lesson. This will not stop me from beaching tho. It's important to party or take family out and hang out at the beach.

I'm going to buy a sandspike and reverse the boat in (not all the way). I will throw a box anchor off the front in the deep part and then Sandspike off the back on the beach. That way when the water fluctuates from the damn back there, i'm deep enough to not get scratches or any damage, but people can still get in and out of the boat. Plus my speakers will be facing the beach! :)
I'm not sure I could stand an ugly a$$ keel guard on my baby's belly.

flat broke
06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey keith,

I have a ? for ya my sister is in the service and is moving to hawaii. I have checked out some of your pics in your album beautiful area . They have just a 20 foot I/O where would you rec some good area's for them to go enjoy their boat ?

CameronCarey
06-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Some food for thought, my boat has been used for every one of the 33 years its been in existence, unfortunately, it was beached several times. As a result I get to practice my gel coat spray technique to try to fix this..........Sounds like fun right?

flat broke
06-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Some food for thought, my boat has been used for every one of the 33 years its been in existence, unfortunately, it was beached several times. As a result I get to practice my gel coat spray technique to try to fix this..........Sounds like fun right?

If that's fun I think I will pass

thwack
06-24-2009, 11:08 PM

I'm not sure where you're from, but I think we have a different definition of fun down here.

CantRepeat
06-25-2009, 06:18 AM
I used to beach all the time. But the place we go to has a lot of traffic and there is aren't any no wake zones. I'm not sure if it added to bending my strut or not, but it was bent so much to the left I had to pull the rudder to get the prop shaft out.

I no longer beach.

CameronCarey
06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Not really my idea of fun either...........believe it or not this is probably the easiest fix on the whole boat......someday I might restore a good example of something instead of starting with the most debilitated thing i can come up with...

hawaiianstiln
06-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey keith,

I have a ? for ya my sister is in the service and is moving to hawaii. I have checked out some of your pics in your album beautiful area . They have just a 20 foot I/O where would you rec some good area's for them to go enjoy their boat ?

sent you a PM so we don't hijack the thread. :)

Hoosier Bob
06-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Cameron you might want to slow down to around 20 mph before you beach from now on!:D Don't forget to post pics of the rehab! Harold can give you some pointers!Not really my idea of fun either...........believe it or not this is probably the easiest fix on the whole boat......someday I might restore a good example of something instead of starting with the most debilitated thing i can come up with...

CameronCarey
06-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I should point out.........I bought it that way........I'm an anchor and swim kinda guy.

and i also apologize for the nakedness of the boat, I know its a family site...........It was too hot here in northern Alabama to do any fiberglass work so, i did he decal removal and started compounding instead.....I will try to sensor any future pictures which don't include a full compliment of stars and pinstripes....