PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Mastercraft X-Star MCX Help!!!

cdm
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Boat was running fine, circled the lake and then suddenly lost all power and the boat died. All my switches work, ballast, nav lights, all of em, but no power to the stereo or engine. When I turn the key, either way, left for stereo or right for engine, the gauges don't charge, the radio doesn't work, it won't even turn the fuel pump on. nothing... I checked the kill switch, hear that can cause problems, Im in neutral, I checked the battery connections, fuses, breakers both under the dash and by the battery. Checked connections to the engine, and all electrical on engine for a good connection. I checked the ignition/key and the connections to it, pulled the drivers side panel off just to take a look, checked the connections and electrical under the front drivers seat after pulling the panel. I never used a volt meter. Anyone have any ideas? I double checked everything, but really don't know what I'm doing. I know the basics. HELP!! I am willing to try anything before I have to tow it to the boat launch with the pontoon and then drive 1.5 hours to the dealer. >>>>> $ I'm convinced its electrical, /shrug.

brucemac
06-23-2009, 10:19 PM
someone will be along soon to give you some troubleshooting tips, but i would go to radio shack and buy a $20 digital multimeter. check your battery(s), double-check your ground connection on the starting battery, make sure it's clean, no corrorison and then i would double-check your kill switch.

vision
06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I second BruceMac. Check the wires going to that kill switch and pop in a fresh battery after cleaning the contacts.

cdm
06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
just so we are clear, the kill switch if disabled will still allow the boat to turn over but not start. the annoying alarm would go off in the first on position at the key and the radio would work if turned to the left. The gauges would also charge in the on position. I have two batteries and both are very clean, freshly charged and the connections are free of corrosion. I will however recheck the connections etc.. I will also get a volt meter.. NEXT PLS!!!

brucemac
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
if the kill switch is buggered, nothing will happen, not even fuel pump. /edit, but i would think the radio would still work, but not sure. you double-checked the breaker inbetween your first battery right?

cdm
06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
i think so.. i checked the 40amp breaker by the battery switch and that wasn't blown. its a waterproof breaker.

bturner2
06-24-2009, 08:02 AM
How about the breacker on the engine? I had that one trip last year for some reason and was minutes from taking it to the dealer until I stumbled on it while putting everything back together. Everything was dead. It should be black with a red button and mounted on the engine.

cdm
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I will take another look at that again too. I did see it, and pushed it but it didn't go in. maybe i needed to push it alittle harder. thanks for the advise.. anyone else?

cdm
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
ended up being the main breaker on the engine. It was rusted and corroded but didn't indicate that it had blown. the button couldn't be reset or pushed in. anyway its fixed! thanks for the suggestions. cdm

Jerseydave
07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear that it's fixed. Where is the breaker located on the engine? I have an MCX too.

Where are you in the northeast? Do you run in salt water?

cdm
07-09-2009, 11:29 PM
breaker is located on the engine top right. size of a cig box or so. red button. no salt water, always on lift, 03 with 150 hrs.. /shrug

cdm
07-09-2009, 11:30 PM
located in michigan