PDA

View Full Version : Thrid time a charm ?

flat broke
06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey guys I have not had any luck trying to find a new or to rebuild a ballast on my starboard side. The ballast I am talking about is for speedo reading. The brass tube looking thing that sits vertical in the back by the transom that the pitot sends water pressure up to for the ballast to convert into air pressure that feeds signal up to the speedo gauge. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you:)

flipper
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Skidim doesn't have anything?

flat broke
06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I have searched and have not found anything. I was searching in some of the threads on here and I came across one that said they have them in the winterize section but no luck :( If you know where it is and can direct me to it that would be awsome! :D

flipper
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM
What's wrong with yours? If they are cracked you may be able to get a good shop that does brazing to fix them for you. About the only other thing I can think of is a marine junk yard.

flat broke
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
no cracks. something is wrong with it internaly I don't know if there is a diaphram inside that goes bad ? but the dam thing pumps water up through it to the pp

76S&S
06-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong but here is my understanding. The brass tube that you refer to is to smooth out fluctuations in speedo readings and it is my understanding that some dealers never installed these, some would even remove them. I think that if water is getting to the pp, you have a pressure leak there and not in the tube.

flat broke
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong but here is my understanding. The brass tube that you refer to is to smooth out fluctuations in speedo readings and it is my understanding that some dealers never installed these, some would even remove them. I think that if water is getting to the pp, you have a pressure leak there and not in the tube.

yeah I have heard the same about the fluctuation part. And I do not know much about these but here is the thing if I have some one spray a garden hose to the port side pitot and I put my finger over the top of the ballast "rubber tubing that goes to the speedo gauge removed" I only feel air coming out and no sign of any water. but if you do the same on the starboard side water comes out the top. And maybe wrong but some said in a thread on here that no water should be going up to the speedo gauge ? so where would my pressure leak be ?

76S&S
06-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Well it sound like someone with more knowledge that me is going to have to jump in.

With that said, can you blow the starboard side out from the speedo end, to purge the water? If so, you may be able to see if you can then build a little pressure in that side. That may allow you to see if the issue is at the speedo or somewhere else.

flat broke
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Well it sound like someone with more knowledge that me is going to have to jump in.

With that said, can you blow the starboard side out from the speedo end, to purge the water? If so, you may be able to see if you can then build a little pressure in that side. That may allow you to see if the issue is at the speedo or somewhere else.

The speedo works ok from the signal from the port side. I have the starboard side disconnected from the pitot. There is only one speedo gauge in the dash the other one was removed and pp installed in it's place. I will check to see if I can blow back through ? but it just seems like the ballast is just bad and need to be replaced

76S&S
06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
The speedo works ok from the signal from the port side. I have the starboard side disconnected from the pitot. There is only one speedo gauge in the dash the other one was removed and pp installed in it's place. I will check to see if I can blow back through ? but it just seems like the ballast is just bad and need to be replaced

It may be the ballast, I definately can't say for sure. Good luck with the trouble shooting.

flat broke
06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
thank you I appreciate it :)

mark g
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
cant you swap out the ballast tube from the port side to the starboard side to keep you running as you said you have pp installed you only need the one tube anyway,

flat broke
06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey mark yeah I could do that but the pp has two inputs speedo #1 and speedo # 2. the port side has a tee in the tubing line that splits off and gives signal to the gauge and pp. I ran the boat once like this and tried the pp it still works but I don't feel it was that accurate. but thanks for the idea :)