PDA

View Full Version : new heads

russman
06-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Need to replace the cast iron heads on my 351w. Need to know would i be better off replacing them with aluminium heads or stick with the cast iron. boat runs in salt water and aluminium doesn't really react too good to that. any tips or advice would be greatly welcomed. also any other advice on setting the engine up for salt water would be great.

thanks,

CantRepeat
06-23-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm not sure who it was but someone here just did a head replacement. You can get the factory GT40 HO heads from skidim but they are costly. The preson I'm refering to went with a different head but they are still HP style, I think it was the 40p he purchased.

You can try a search in the the forum and the maintenance forum for a complete restore.

etduc
06-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Need to replace the cast iron heads on my 351w. Need to know would i be better off replacing them with aluminium heads or stick with the cast iron. boat runs in salt water and aluminium doesn't really react too good to that. any tips or advice would be greatly welcomed. also any other advice on setting the engine up for salt water would be great.

thanks,

There no performance advantage with aluminium, just weight. Then there is always the issue with damage, if boat over heats. Remanufactured heads can be had, on the cheap, local auto stores, have them martinized. (Not a big deal, or expense.) I purchased the regular 351w reman. heads (skimmed 1mm), for $400 + core. Did my own port matching. Another power increase on Fords, is changing the intake manifod.

denverd1
06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Had my stock heads worked on by a local shop. He had done quite a few 5.0/5.7 ford heads and got some pretty good numbers out of them.

rem_pss308
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I used the GT-40P heads on mine when I replaced them, on the 1993 I had. its a little more HP than the GT-40 heads, and I think they came on the ford Explorers. They bolted right up, and worked great.
the only differance in car and boat, are the freeze plugs are Brass, on the boat.

russman
06-25-2009, 05:57 AM
judging by most of the feedback from guys on the site the gt-40ps are the way to go! does anybody now where i can get a set of new or reconditioned gt-40ps. i am based in ireland and there is nobody really over here using these type of engines. thanks for all the help this site is great!!

etduc
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
judging by most of the feedback from guys on the site the gt-40ps are the way to go! does anybody now where i can get a set of new or reconditioned gt-40ps. i am based in ireland and there is nobody really over here using these type of engines. thanks for all the help this site is great!!

OOO.. I see your problem, location.

Try these guys. http://www.cylinder-heads.com/automotive.cfm They do marine heads, and cars. They also, sell on ebay. Never used them, but the price is right.

russman
06-26-2009, 06:03 AM
has anybody heard or used promar engines in new jersey?? they have the gt40s and gt40ps for $600 for the pair much better than the $1125 each for them on skidim. is there anything i will need to do to marinise the heads or can they go straight on?

etduc
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
has anybody heard or used promar engines in new jersey?? they have the gt40s and gt40ps for $600 for the pair much better than the $1125 each for them on skidim. is there anything i will need to do to marinise the heads or can they go straight on?

Skiim claim there heads are new. Not the same as rebuilt/remanufactured. Depending where the boat is use. Saltwater, change freeze plugs to brass. Freshwater plug and go. Maritinized engines replaces all freeze plugs with brass, plus other mods for durability.

I used a local machine shop, so we could pick a flat pair.