PDA

View Full Version : Radio/CD Player?

erkoehler
05-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Okay, my boat doesn't have any radio, speakers, NOTHING! I want to get a basic setup to get the tunes going, what should I expect to put out $$$ wise.

Any recommendations as to where to get speakers, etc??

jsonova99
05-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Okay, my boat doesn't have any radio, speakers, NOTHING! I want to get a basic setup to get the tunes going, what should I expect to put out $$$ wise.

Personally, if you just want a basic setup, I just bought some speakers at Best Buy for like $50 a pair. Nothing special, but they aren't too bad. They aren't marine speakers, but they've gotten wet a few times and still work fine. Besides, marine or not speakers on a ski boat are only going to last so long. As far as a stereo I guess you could go either way. I have a marine one that came with the boat, but becasue of where it is, I've never gotten it wet, so you could probably get away with a cheap automotive one.

erkoehler
05-25-2005, 04:05 PM
How many speakers do you normally go with? The boat is a 1996 MC PS 190. Should it be 4 or 6?

Also, anybody know of a place that will install it for me? I don't think it would even be close to decent if I did the install.

jsonova99
05-25-2005, 04:07 PM
How many speakers do you normally go with? The boat is a 1996 MC PS 190. Should it be 4 or 6?

Also, anybody know of a place that will install it for me? I don't think it would even be close to decent if I did the install.

I have 4 on my '91. My setup is extremely simple though, 4-channel head unit with 4 speakers, no amps or anything.

wakesport

Eric, stop by the "Radio Doctor" on the east side of Madison on your way up north. They do good work.

east tx skier
As for how long they last, my OEM alpine marine speakers are going on 13 years old. I don't know how long nonmarine speakers will last. They do get wet more than the tuner though just as a factor of their location.

Whether you go marine or not for the tuner, make sure you get one of those plastic covers. Also, I highly recommend one that will play mp3s. I just leave a cdr with tons of mp3s burned to it in there full time. Never have to change it, just leave it on shuffle.

My stereo is a marine grade unit, too, but plenty have made do with a standard automotive setup.

east tx skier
05-25-2005, 04:09 PM
I think the standard setup on that boat was 4 speakers. All in the combing pads. There should be cutouts under the vinyl for them already.

milkmania
05-25-2005, 04:09 PM
I have 4 on my '91. My setup is extremely simple though, 4-channel head unit with 4 speakers, no amps or anything.

same here on my 91 PS190
JVC Head Unit 45watts x 4 channels
4-6.5 Polk Audio Speakers

got a 600 watt amp coming and not sure which sub I'm going with yet.

milkmania
05-25-2005, 04:11 PM
As for how long they last, my OEM alpine marine speakers are going on 13 years old. I don't know how long nonmarine speakers will last. They do get wet more than the tuner though just as a factor of their location.

Whether you go marine or not for the tuner, make sure you get one of those plastic covers. Also, I highly recommend one that will play mp3s. I just leave a cdr with tons of mp3s burned to it in there full time. Never have to change it, just leave it on shuffle.

My stereo is a marine grade unit, too, but plenty have made do with a standard automotive setup.

older Alpine was good stuff!!!:headbang::steering:
not sure what they'ree producing these days:o

MarkP
05-25-2005, 04:13 PM

275 bucks

You need one http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3330

And two pair of the http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1292

That’s it. Basic but sounds good.

erkoehler
05-25-2005, 04:21 PM
With that setup, I would be able to hear the music over the engine, etc? I have the cover built into the dash already, but there is just nothing there.

pilot02
05-25-2005, 04:25 PM
FYI on marine head units. Most are NOT marine even though they say so. Clarion and a very few others are true marine units but I found out the hard way that my Kenwood was not when it had to be replaced after less than a year due to corrosion on the circuit board from humidity.

MarkP
05-25-2005, 04:25 PM
I think if you can hear the music well, over your inboard it would probably make your ears bleed and cost 1500 bucks

erkoehler
05-25-2005, 04:26 PM
well then I guess I better start saving! :purplaugh

SteveO
05-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Ah the joy's of boat ownership. With every passing minute another reason to spend money passes by.

MarkP
05-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Well lets get your list together

Two amps

Two subs

Head unit

4 or 6 speakers

Wire

Extra battery

Oh, and a Britney Spears CD

redmike
05-25-2005, 05:04 PM
yeah on the britteny :noface:
Seriously, just installed a 25x4 amp in boat, can hear fine at ski speeds, but if had to do over again, would go a little louder (later :D ) just 4 automotive speakers that came in the boat, a good head unit and an amp. :twocents:

zberger
05-25-2005, 05:04 PM
It all really comes down to what you want to achieve, and what you want to spend.

Give me an idea of that, and I should be able to help you. Pics of the boat would be helpful too :)

east tx skier
05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
With my 4 OEM 6" speakers and a 200 watt tuner (no amp), I can hear the music over the engine. With a mere 200 watts, I can easily elicit a "turn it down" from my wife without going full volume.

BriEOD
05-25-2005, 05:17 PM
$50 get a boom box and some D-cells.

BriEOD
05-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Well lets get your list together

Two amps

Two subs

Head unit

4 or 6 speakers

Wire

Extra battery

Oh, and a Britney Spears CD

A 30 amp system fuze, a wiring block, connectors for all the wires, battery connector terminals, carpet and plywood to mount the amps, stainless screws, antenna for the radio, speaker wire, and all the tools to do it.

TEX P205
05-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Don't forget to the upgrade alternator for that second battery. Trust me, this list just gets longer and longer and longer.
I would just start out with a 50w x 4 head unit that plays mp3s and 4 speakers. You can always add amps and subs later. MarkP suggestions look like a good starting spot.
I also would suggest putting it in yourself. It's not that hard, and come on, its not like you haven't asked for help on this board before. It's not like in a car where you have to rip off dashboards and door panels to get access to the openings, And you have a P190, the closed bow makes it even easier than an open bow. Save some cash, do it yourself, and when it breaks, you will know where to start looking.

MarkP
05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Don't forget to the upgrade alternator for that second battery. Trust me, this list just gets longer and longer and longer.
I would just start out with a 50w x 4 head unit that plays mp3s and 4 speakers. You can always add amps and subs later. MarkP suggestions look like a good starting spot.
I also would suggest putting it in yourself. It's not that hard, and come on, its not like you haven't asked for help on this board before. It's not like in a car where you have to rip off dashboards and door panels to get access to the openings, And you have a P190, the closed bow makes it even easier than an open bow. Save some cash, do it yourself, and when it breaks, you will know where to start looking.
I agree and more than likely you already have the electrical dead ends (labeled) under your dash for the radio connections and cutouts in your side panels for speakers. Just push on the side panel in the spot you see all of our speakers in our photos to find the “cut outs”. So you cant go wrong..

BrianM
05-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I just installed a basic setup in my boat yesterday. I went non marine as my boat no longer has to live outside and it doesn't get all that wet especially in the locations that the head unit is located. After doing a little research many of the 'automotive' speakers are made the same way as the 'marine' we will see how it lasts. I went with:

Pioneer P3700MP Head Unit 200w
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-In-Dash-Cd-Player-DEH-P3700MP-/sem/rpsm/oid/115948/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

And two pair of Pioneer 6 1/2" 3 ways
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6981876&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03076&id=1099388425823

I have always had good luck and performance with Pioneer in the past so I went with it again. From all of the 6" speakers I listened to I thought these gave the most bang for the buck plus they have the ability to handle an amp in the future if I decide to go that route.

As for the head unit it is awsome. Plays MP3s and is XM or Sirrius ready and has two sets of preouts for the future and has an available i-pod iadapter (although it is almost as much as the deck).

Installed the system yesterday and for less than $300 it sounds great. Plenty loud for my tastes and sounds pretty darn good at moderate levels sitting at the dock.

Tom Wortham
05-25-2005, 05:53 PM
That's what I am sporting in my 86. Spending the bucks on new carpet and putting new skins on. :friday:

T Scott
05-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I am getting ready to install a stereo on in my 2000 205 VRS. I had a little shopping spree at Best Buy this afternon, so the timing of this thread is perfect.

I bought:

Alpine CD/MP3 player

Rockford Fosgate 1200 watt/4 channel amp

I am recycling 4 Polk Audio marine speakers that I had in one of my old boats

2 new Yamaha outdoor speakers for the tower.

I also ordered a Bazooka 10" powered subwoofer to supply the thump.

This puppy should rock!! I'll give you an update at the end of the weekend when I get it all in.

BrianM
05-25-2005, 06:09 PM

That's why I decided to put a stereo in my boat. My ski partner showed up with a boom box when were skiing with my boat. :o Shamed me into dropping the coin. :twocents:

BrianM
05-25-2005, 06:11 PM
I am getting ready to install a stereo on in my 2000 205 VRS.

I also ordered a Bazooka 10" powered subwoofer to supply the thump.

Let me know how the tube sounds. I have been considering this as my first upgrade but I asked for comments on the Bazooka a few months back and the feedback was leaning negative.

mark g
05-25-2005, 06:26 PM
installed basic system, xmd3 unit, remote & extension lead, 4 sony speakers,less than $300 cost me to ship over to uk but still cheap and all marine grade.
make sure you check out the size of the cutouts in the side panels if you have them i had to get 5" speakers just to save me cutting the back bigger, as stated earlier if you look under the dash you probably have all the wires allready there and labeled up.
the hardest part will be cutting the vinyl for the speakers to fit in (be carefull to measure a couple of times).
try looking on ebay for marine speakers and head units got all mine from ebay, good deals to be had.
just to reasure you i can bang out the tunes when we are skiing and can hear all perfect above the engine, probably better with an amp but its fine without.
good luck.

erkoehler
05-25-2005, 10:16 PM
The only part of the install that worries me is the cutting of the vinyl on the boat! I don't want to mess it up, it looks so nice now as it is....

MarkP
05-25-2005, 10:22 PM
The only part of the install that worries me is the cutting of the vinyl on the boat! I don't want to mess it up, it looks so nice now as it is....Did you look for "cutouts" for the speakers yet??

erkoehler
05-25-2005, 10:24 PM
I'll go look right now.....

MarkP
05-25-2005, 10:30 PM
And look for the wires too. They should be under the dash in a bundle all labeled nice..

Crash
05-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I guess I'm going against the current on this one...previous owner installed a nice Pioneer w/CD and speakers. Had the boat 4 years and I think we've turned the radio on 2x's.

MarkP
05-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I guess I'm going against the current on this one...previous owner installed a nice Pioneer w/CD and speakers. Had the boat 4 years and I think we've turned the radio on 2x's.
Dude,

Get a good UB40 CD and you will have it on all day

Crash
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Dude,

Again, against the current (electrical and h20)...different choice of music :) The CD we played was Puddle of Mud.

MarkP
05-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Again, against the current (electrical and h20)...different choice of music :) The CD we played was Puddle of Mud.Sweet.. I'm great with that.

Andyg
05-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Dont forget to pick up one of these combo subwoofer ballast systems.

JackHammer is the most enormous, mind-blowing subwoofer ever created. You will literally not believe it until you see it. Standing in at 23” tall, 320 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling, you will be hard-pressed to find something that will get in the ring with this heavyweight

erkoehler
05-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Well, I think it should be an early June addition to the boat! I will likely just go with the 4 speakers and a sony head unit. I would like to get a remote, but it isn't really necessary.

BriEOD
05-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Dude,

"In Kingston Town..."

Crash
05-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Dont forget to pick up one of these combo subwoofer ballast systems.

JackHammer is the most enormous, mind-blowing subwoofer ever created. You will literally not believe it until you see it. Standing in at 23” tall, 320 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling, you will be hard-pressed to find something that will get in the ring with this heavyweight
:uglyhamme

jimmer2880
05-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Non-marine Kenwood head unit in my boat. No problems with it yet. 1 pair of non-marine 6x9's. Plenty of volume.

Also, I have a cheap bottom of the line pioneer cd player in my Jeep with gets considerably much much more wet than anything in my boat. It's still going strong.

None of the stereo stuff I have is marine grade.

The problem with Pilot's "marine" Kenwood may have come from the plastic film they put over the circuit boards on their "marine" units. Of course, that traps moisture. The non-marine units don't have that, which probably actually make them hold up much longer.

Crash
06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Out floating on the boat Sunday and thought about you guys with your "subwoofers" and thought I'd turn the CD player on for awhile. So I grabbed my Best of Boy George CD and the Stereo didn't work! Must of died due to inactivity. :mad: That'll learn me.

PS. JK about Boy George.

JEREMY79
06-14-2005, 12:07 PM
The only marine equipment in my boat are some Sony marine speakers. my other speakers, amp, sub, or CD player are marine

Bobby
06-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I have all marine equipment in my '84 S&S. 2 6.5'' speakers and 2 12'' subs does the trick just fine, along with a 1000 watt amp and marine cd deck. Didn't cost me much at all, but then again I work at a music store.

AR Footer
06-15-2005, 03:32 PM
I have all marine equipment in my '84 S&S. 2 6.5'' speakers and 2 12'' subs does the trick just fine, along with a 1000 watt amp and marine cd deck. Didn't cost me much at all, but then again I work at a music store.

I have an 85 and I am considering trying to add some tunes. Can you post some pictures or e-mail some to me so I can get some ideas? It would be extremely helpful to see some ideas.

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Does anybody have any photos of speaker locations for there speakers in a Prostar 190 or similar boat???

MarkP
06-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Erk

Did you look/feel for cut outs??

Bobby
06-15-2005, 05:45 PM
I have an 85 and I am considering trying to add some tunes. Can you post some pictures or e-mail some to me so I can get some ideas? It would be extremely helpful to see some ideas.

I'll get some pictures to you in the next couple of days. The boat isn't at my house and I won't have time to take any until Friday.

jimmer2880
06-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Erk

Did you look/feel for cut outs??

Erk, I have a similiar boat (If I remember correctly)... The factory location is in the front of the combing pad (I hope that's the right term for the pads on the sides of the boat).

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 06:20 PM
I haven't been able to feel the cut outs, since I don't know the factory locations.

MarkP
06-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I haven't been able to feel the cut outs, since I don't know the factory locations.Try at the rear of the side panel.
I dont have a photo of mine, but the cutout should be easy to find..

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 06:25 PM
I'll check again on my way out to my sisters, but I didn't feel them before.

MarkP
06-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Just grabbed a shot from the showroom. The positions look to be close the spots you should find your cutouts..

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Thankyou kind sir!

I will be checking now...

H20skeefreek
06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Bobby, could you send me some pics as well, or even better, post them here? I would like to install some in my '85 as well, but don't have any great ideas on location.

MarkP
06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
I just went trolling through the showroom under Prostar. That was the first one I came across. I’ll bet you will find a lot of ideas in the showroom

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Okay, I have 2 cut outs in the front of the boat. One directly behine the drivers seat at the bottom where the carpet meets the vinyl. One on the observer side right where your foot would be if you were sitting up against the side of the boat.

So, nothing in the rear.

BriEOD
06-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Make your own. Trace the spot with a pencil, cut the upholestry and foam and then use a jig saw to do the rest.

MarkP
06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Okay, I have 2 cut outs in the front of the boat. One directly behine the drivers seat at the bottom where the carpet meets the vinyl. One on the observer side right where your foot would be if you were sitting up against the side of the boat.

So, nothing in the rear.
Look harder erk.

I had them in the back and not the front

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I felt all around, and they aren't there. The plastic seat base takes up most of the lower half of the boat in the rear, and then there is cushioning around the rest of the sides that I didn't spot a cut out in, or feel one from behind.

I am thinking about maybe just getting two speakers for the rear like I saw in the new X9 that just sit on the floor under the rear seat. Anybody had any experience with those?

AR Footer
06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I'll get some pictures to you in the next couple of days. The boat isn't at my house and I won't have time to take any until Friday.

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Tennesseeski
06-16-2005, 08:57 AM
With my 4 OEM 6" speakers and a 200 watt tuner (no amp), I can hear the music over the engine. With a mere 200 watts, I can easily elicit a "turn it down" from my wife without going full volume.
:confused: My 205 only has two speakers in the back. Where are your other two? Did you add them yourself. Thought about cutting two holes under the front seats to add two more, but a bit scared of it. :eek:

Footin
06-16-2005, 09:06 AM
My 205 has two speakers in the back and 2 under the bow seats. It was that way when I bought it, seems to work pretty good.

BriEOD
06-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Quit being scared and just put something in there!!

Mag_Red
06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Quit being scared and just put something in there!!You know.......if you closed your eyes..........you could almost imagine the toolman saying the same thing :D

Buy_Low
05-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Erk, did you ever end up putting the stereo in? Anybody have any ideas about where to put the head unit in a 1987 Prostar 190?