PDA

View Full Version : trailer lights half working?

hawaiianstiln
06-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Had the trailer hooked up today because I wanted to replace my older brake lights with new LED brake lights. The lights were hooked up for about 15 minutes and then all the sudden the trailer accessory lights all went out. At that time, I had not done anything yet with the wiring. After frustration of checking all fuses and grounds, I still can't figure out why the accessory lights won't come on anymore. The reverse lights, turn signals, hazards, and brake lights all work on the trailer. However, when I have none of that turned on, nothing on the trailer is lit up. My test light isn't working, so I have not tested voltage on the wiring harness on the back of the truck yet. I will tomorrow or sometime this week.

I'm wondering if there is an inline fuse somewhere between the wiring harness from back to front on my truck. I have a 2006 chevy silverado. The trailer is a SBT Sport boat trailer.

Any pointers before I find the little gremlin in my trailers lights?

flat broke
06-22-2009, 02:41 AM
Had the trailer hooked up today because I wanted to replace my older brake lights with new LED brake lights. The lights were hooked up for about 15 minutes and then all the sudden the trailer accessory lights all went out. At that time, I had not done anything yet with the wiring. After frustration of checking all fuses and grounds, I still can't figure out why the accessory lights won't come on anymore. The reverse lights, turn signals, hazards, and brake lights all work on the trailer. However, when I have none of that turned on, nothing on the trailer is lit up. My test light isn't working, so I have not tested voltage on the wiring harness on the back of the truck yet. I will tomorrow or sometime this week.

I'm wondering if there is an inline fuse somewhere between the wiring harness from back to front on my truck. I have a 2006 chevy silverado. The trailer is a SBT Sport boat trailer.

Any pointers before I find the little gremlin in my trailers lights?

Hey keith,

Sorry to hear about your electrical problem :( not trying to be a smart a$$ but if it were me I think I would first start by puting my old one's back in and recheck all the light functions. so if everything is ok with the old "known" good lights you know the circuit is good. so that way if that may be the cause you don't waste time checking the harness or connectors for a poss bad set of led"s or a poss pin fit location is different on the "led" lights vs the old filament style. just a FYI I don't know if it is the same on your truck as mine I have a 02 D-MAX but the underhood fuse box has different fuses for the truck signals and trailer signal fuses as well. I hope this may help if not maybe contact your local MC dealer and see if they have seen this before ? good luck

hawaiianstiln
06-24-2009, 04:25 PM
yep, you were right, I had another fuse box in my engine compartment that I wasn't aware of. I thought I just had one fuse box inside the truck.

Either way, I found the busted fuse. I guess I thought I knew my truck better than that. :)

flat broke
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
yep, you were right, I had another fuse box in my engine compartment that I wasn't aware of. I thought I just had one fuse box inside the truck.

Either way, I found the busted fuse. I guess I thought I knew my truck better than that. :)

Sweet bro I am glad to hear that. and that it was not something that took a lot of time or money :)