PDA

View Full Version : steering loose?

LaCloud10
05-25-2005, 02:47 PM
I have a 1990 TriStar 220 and the steering is a little hard to turn left and when you start back to the right it will turn really fast (more like a quick jerk to the right) then easier from there. I was told the steering needs tightening. Does anyone know anything about this? Can I tighten it myself?
Thanks Russell

Dan K
05-25-2005, 03:36 PM
LaCloud, Welcome to the board !
I think what you are experiencing is what is normal to direct drive boats.
The differnce in feel is due to the prop wash over the rudder. Some people also feel this as a pull to one side. The slight pull is preferred by many boat drivers because it helps them keep the boat straight on course since they are always stering a little tight against the pull.

You can do a search on this subject and possible even find a thread that describes filing the rudder on one side to correct for the pull.

east tx skier
05-25-2005, 03:37 PM
While you could conceivably file the rudder to correct for pull. Most file it to create the pull. Once I got used to the pull, it felt strange driving a boat without it.

kdr
05-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Sounds like my boat, Hard to turn left, and it will turn sharply turn the right if you let go of the wheel. I haven't addressed it yet, because there are more pressing issues, bit I too want to know how to go about correcting this.

USC8791
05-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Put a fat chick in the observer seat.

sfitzgerald351
05-26-2005, 12:12 AM
This is most likely a worn ball/socket joint at the rudder. You will often have the boat want to turn right at speed, but if it isn't a smooth pull to the right, but jerks and then becomes smooth the ball/socket joint is worn and binding up. It's the joint where the cable attaches a foot or so in front of the rudder. You can get new ones for not a lot of money and it's a quick bolt in. My 84 would do this really badly and now it's smooth as silk.

LaCloud10
05-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the help I will look into the Ball/socket joint.

Russell

Tennesseeski
05-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Put a fat chick in the observer seat.
:eek: :noface:

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 10:59 AM
If your boat is pulling right (or left for that matter) when you let go of the wheel, the easiest thing to check first (and it very well could be what Scott described) would be to see if the right trailing edge (or left if it's pulling left) of your rudder has a little bit of a ground angle on it. If that's the case, I'd suggest leaving it unless you find it really bothersome. Once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you drove without it.