PDA

View Full Version : Carb "overfueling"

farmboy0318
06-21-2009, 09:41 AM
The carb on my 80 S&S (351 PCM) seems to be to the best of my mechanical knowledge "overfueling". I was having problems getting it started so I took the flame arrester off and then spun it over. Fuel was pouring out of the J tubes into the carb. I took the front and rear bowls off and cleaned them and lubed them very well. Checked the needle valves and they were ok. Anyone else experienced this? I have had the carb rebuilt because it was doing this before and this is the first time I have gotten to use the boat since last summer.

Matt L.
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Either your float level is wayyyyy off or your fuel inlet valve is stuck. If it has been sitting it may have gone bad again. Modern fuel is mixed for FI vehicles and is not very carb friendly.

Good luck,

Matt

farmboy0318
06-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Ok, not really equipment savvy here. How do you set the float level and or where is the fuel inlet valve? Keep in mind this carb has not has gas run through it since it was rebuilt.

TMCNo1
06-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I learned a hard lesson decades ago, that you should never turn a empty Holley carburetor upside down, cause the floats can/will hang in the up position, then when installed after purchase, modification or rebuild the thing will flood till the bowls have been removed and the floats reset.

flat broke
06-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Ok, not really equipment savvy here. How do you set the float level and or where is the fuel inlet valve? Keep in mind this carb has not has gas run through it since it was rebuilt.

man I am old there is a fast basic way to do it but its been so long my dumb a$$ has forgot. you can find a book on holleys that will step by step show you with a diagram and or go on performanceboat forum and ask some of the old school drag boat guys they know all the good stuff on holleys or what ever you need. but I would agree with every one else I think your floats are stuck. I hope this helps

Matt L.
06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Holly's web site has lots of diagrams and downloadable instructions.

Good luck!

Matt