PDA

View Full Version : Lake Martin - Alabama

thwack
06-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Any of you guys on here go out on Lake Martin very often. I'm pulling the new boat down to Auburn this weekend to visit some friends. Was wondering where the best place to put in is. Also wondering the best places to go.

kbrew
06-18-2009, 11:37 AM
bay pines marina. right off hwy 280 about 3 miles. i'll be there with my x star all day sat and sun. we ride not a mile from there and our ski course is about a half mile down from that. come out and ride with us. send me a pm and if you want to meet up

will

jomiddour
06-18-2009, 11:45 AM
If you haven't been there before you should definetly check out chimney rock. It's about a 65ft jump into clear, deep water.

Craig
06-18-2009, 11:51 AM
If you haven't been there before you should definetly check out chimney rock. It's about a 65ft jump into clear, deep water.

Is it really that high? I have jumped off it, albeit after a few cold ones, but I don't remember it being that high.

You should check it out though, cool place to see and a fun cliff to jump off.

thwack
06-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info. Kbrew-I'll PM you sometime today b/c we're definately headed there Saturday and gonna make a day of it. Haven't had a chance to put the new boat in the water yet, so it may turn out to be a long day.

I've been to Chimney rock several times when I was at Auburn, but never in my boat so I have no idea which way to head.

Trent 197
06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I wish I was headed to god's country...war eagle!

thwack
06-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I wish I was headed to god's country...war eagle!

WAR EAGLE!!!

CantRepeat
06-22-2009, 07:11 AM
ROLL TIDE!!

http://images.smarter.com/blogs/prothro.jpg

Doh! That's gonna leave a mark!

markismm
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Kbrew - What creek on Martin do you guys have a ski course. Been looking for one. My brother is going to compete in a amteur slalom comp in a few weekends and we have been looking for a decent ski course to run. Is the course your talking about permanent or is it a course that you and your friends put out and remove when not in use by you guys. We always ski up Blue Creek on the east end of the lake. Are there any other courses on the lake. We are fairly new to the Martin area. We have been skiing on Harding all of our lives though.

thwack
06-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Kbrew - What creek on Martin do you guys have a ski course. Been looking for one. My brother is going to compete in a amteur slalom comp in a few weekends and we have been looking for a decent ski course to run. Is the course your talking about permanent or is it a course that you and your friends put out and remove when not in use by you guys. We always ski up Blue Creek on the east end of the lake. Are there any other courses on the lake. We are fairly new to the Martin area. We have been skiing on Harding all of our lives though.

You may want to PM Kbrew to get some more information, but I went down to his marina this past weekend. The marina he's located at is Bay Pines (north end of the lake - turn off of 280 onto Peckerwood Rd - Peckerwood turns into Bay Pines and dumps you straight into the marina's parking lot). It's under new ownership and the people there are great.

kbrew
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
The ski course not far from from Wind Creek State Park. It's almost exactly between Bay Pines and the park. Mr. Scouten owns the course and maintains it. Open to anyone as long as they take care of anything they mess up. I think he put the first one in around '85 and has always had one up since then. Be glad to show you around the north side of the lake anytime. I'm there every weekend. Send me a pm if you need anything.

georgea0731
06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I've been maintaining a course for about 10+ years over in the Smith Mountain Area, Sandy Creek just across from Smith Landing ramp. We have an 03 S&S.
Mr. Schouten is a super guy and a great skier. He's 80, I think and has always competited at Nationals in slalom and trick. His course was the first one I tried, cut and replaced a buoy too. His son runs 39 1/2 off and his grand daughter is skiing for Auburn.
If you need anything at Lake Martin give us a call 770 634 5437.

markismm
09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
We skiied the Sandy Creek course two weekends back. It was very nice. Surprisingly there was no one else around. We were the only ones around for over 2 hours. Of course it was 7:15 am when we started.

CantRepeat
09-05-2009, 07:39 AM
It rained on us most of the day last Sundy, but the water was still very clear and very warm.

MCRambo1
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
For those of you that boat on Martin, Rambo Marine is hosting an event at Bay Pines on Sept. 20. BBQ, Live Music, Wakeboarding and Surfing Clinics, and Showing off some of the new 2010 models we have in stock. Not to mention the comraderie of meeting other people on the water. You should come out and see us, it's going to be a blast!