PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for an OJ Prop?

ivectoryou
06-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi.

Boat = 2001 Prostar 195 with a tower.

Prop. OJ
6-2000
HC
13 Cup
4-Blade
Legend

Above is the info. that I wrote down off the prop that I pulled off our boat today. While going very slow we hit some small branches/logs in the lake and it ever-so-slightly bent the tips of our prop. I know it is repairable, but we are thinking about getting a spare prop to ensure we don't ruin a good vacation sometime.

My questions are: Should I stick with the OJ brand?
Should we buy new or refurbished?
Roughly, what is a fair price for the above?

I obviously know next to nothing about props, so I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Kevin@MWMC
06-17-2009, 12:37 AM
I would buy new, something that is made for your boat! I can't really give you specifics for your exact prop, but talk to Eric at OJ Props and he will take good care of you. Just give him all the info he asks for (year, make, model, engine, trans, WOT RPM, main use of boat like wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, extra ballast, etc) and he will hook you up with the perfect prop. And probably having it sitting on your doorstep in 2 days!

I would stick with OJ props, they make all MasterCraft props to begin with, they are a Genuine MasterCraft supplier. But others will say ACME is good too. Never tried them, only had OJ and would not change.

You can also send your original prop you damaged to him and they will fix it for around $80-$100. I would do that and keep that one as your spare just in case. It is nice to have an extra on hand!

Eric @ OJ Props
Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
750 Natalie Blvd
Loudon, TN 37774
Phone: 865-458-5205
Fax: 865-458-0686
Toll-Free: 800-359-9730

www.ojprops.com

Hammer
06-17-2009, 07:58 AM
I am doing the same thing. Buying a new prop and having the old refurbished once the new is here. Actually the same boat. I have a 01 195. Call Eric at OJ. I just ordered mine yesterday, it will be here by the weekend. I'm staying with the 13x13 4 blade. I have no complaints about it so couldn't see changing. Strong out of the hole and good top end, so why change. Less than $400 shipped to your door. Then the repair will be around 70-120.

ivectoryou
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Thank you Goliath and Hammer! Just the sort of helpful feedback I was hoping for. ~Vec

BrianM
06-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I have an Acme 541 that would be a great prop on that boat. $275 to your door.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Check out Delta Prop (http://www.deltaprop.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=450&cat=Inboards+and+Ski+Boats) and use the discount code DP5CCF08 (from the CorrectCraftFan site). They have OJ or Acme in about any specs you'd like and with the discount the prices are pretty good. Another guy to check with is Carl at boarditup.com.

treptowr
06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
^^^^^that code didn't seem to affect the price when I entered it in?

Hammer
06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
FWIW, My prop arrived today that I ordered from Eric @ OJ on Tues.

novaman64
07-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Code worked for me. Just ordered up my ACME 541 from deltaprop.com, $331 includes ground shipping, I had them do 3 day for an extra $30. Need it for this weekend. :)

russlars
07-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Code worked for me. Just ordered up my ACME 541 from deltaprop.com, $331 includes ground shipping, I had them do 3 day for an extra $30. Need it for this weekend. :)
I think that you will be very happy with the performance of the ACME 541. I have been running that on my 205 for the last couple years. My only complaint was the size of the slalom wake at 15' off which is where I normally ski. After several trials of other OJ and ACME props I settled on a OJ 12.5 X 12 XMP 4 blade. This gave me almost the same performance of the 541 and smoothed out the slalom wake nicely. May want to give that one a try also. Give Eric at OJ and call and he will hook you up.:twocents:

brucemac
07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
+1 Eric at OJ.

Hollywood
07-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know how to price props but the mere fact that the price of Copper has fluctuated so much yet they keep getting more expensive just bottles my mind... :/

TallRedRider
07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Am I the only guy that got quoted a higher price from Eric than I could find elsewhere. He was happy to give advice, but seemed that his mission was not to undercut the dealers.

Skier to Skier had the best price on the OJ prop I was looking for.

The props are actually made of NIBRAL....a combination of NIckle, BRass and ALlumninum, IIUC. So copper prices have nothing to do with it. But it would be interesting to see how the prices of other metals has done compared to Copper.

Kevin@MWMC
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Am I the only guy that got quoted a higher price from Eric than I could find elsewhere. He was happy to give advice, but seemed that his mission was not to undercut the dealers.

Skier to Skier had the best price on the OJ prop I was looking for.

The props are actually made of NIBRAL....a combination of NIckle, BRass and ALlumninum, IIUC. So copper prices have nothing to do with it. But it would be interesting to see how the prices of other metals has done compared to Copper.

I got quoted a higher price from Eric too. I didn't realize that until after I bought the prop. I started searching around online just to see what other prices were. I know, I should have researched before :rolleyes: But oh well, with all the people on here praising him for his knowledge and help at picking the right one, I really didn't care that much about the price.

Also with him, he said I can try different props if I didn't like the one I got. Or he will adjust the cupping or anything else to make it perfect for my boat. His customer service and willingness to help and stand behind his product really made me forget about the little higher price. Just my :twocents: