PDA

View Full Version : DIY Help Oil Change and basic maintenance

BrushyCreekXS
06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
I have an 06 XStar on a lift at Smith Lake. No MC dealer on the lake, and no trailer. I would like to do basic maintenance myself...oil change, impeller change, transmission fluid...etc. When you read the manual, it is pretty intimidating with everything they suggest doing regarding maintenance.

Does anyone have a suggestion/list of what I should absolutely do...I bought an oil change pump and plan to change the oil this weekend. I bought the boat last summer with 50hrs on it and have put about 50 more on it. My plan is to change the oil about every 50 hours which is now.

Thanks.

Jerseydave
06-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I change my oil with the boat on the trailer, but I do it right after using the boat all day so the oil is nice and hot. The engine has a hose for draining the oil already attached to the oil pan, just look for the other end of the hose which should be located near the distributor on a clip. Remove transom drain plug and stick the hose through the transom, drain oil into drain pan or large bucket. (some people use a suction pump to do this because it will take a while, I usually let it gravity drain for an hour or two)

Use a large ziplock bag when you change your oil filter, surrounding it with the bag to catch the oil. I usually fill the new filter with clean oil before installing it. Don't forget to wipe some oil on the filter gasket for easy removal next time.

Use suction pump to remove old trans fluid, replace with new.

Impeller change is a challenge depending on how much room you have between muffler and cover plate. You may have to loosen all the muffler clamps and move muffler away from pump a little. Try paint can openers to remove impeller. Take note which way the vanes of the impeller are bending, install new one the same way with lots of binding lube. Re-install cover and screws, be careful not to overtighten the screws which are soft brass.

Some rudder ports have a grease fitting, if yours does you should grease it while you're in there.

My routine:
Oil change every 50 hours
Impeller change every 100-150 hours (or every 2 years)
Trans fluid change every 100-150 hours (or every 2 years)
Spark plugs......probably should change every 2 years but I'm going for 3 years myself. :D

dummy
06-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Here's an oil change: http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monkey-photo-galleries/Marine-Oil-Change-gallery.html

electraglideedge
07-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks just what I have been looking for to get on with the job.Great link
Cheers

babymoore3
07-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Agree with NJ skier except the filling of the filter. Although there is no clear stance the concern with filling the filter (even from filter / engine manufacturers) - you may wash impurities into the clean oil side filling the filter (center large hole - dirty side is the external smaller holes). Assuming you don't rev the engine when you start it the next time there should be sufficient oil in the journals to keep bearing lubbed until the oil pump supplies through the dry filter. Even car oil change places do not fill the filter before starting. At 30-40 psi (idle) you are probably talking 5-10 seconds max before fresh oil hits the bearings from the oil pan.

JimN
07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Agree with NJ skier except the filling of the filter. Although there is no clear stance the concern with filling the filter (even from filter / engine manufacturers) - you may wash impurities into the clean oil side filling the filter (center large hole - dirty side is the external smaller holes). Assuming you don't rev the engine when you start it the next time there should be sufficient oil in the journals to keep bearing lubbed until the oil pump supplies through the dry filter. Even car oil change places do not fill the filter before starting. At 30-40 psi (idle) you are probably talking 5-10 seconds max before fresh oil hits the bearings from the oil pan.

Talk to a mechanic and ask if it's better to leave the new filter empty, or not. I have a friend who worked in V8 Powertrain Development at GM's Desert Proving Grounds for over 20 years and has also done repairs on hundreds of cars for his own shop and over the years, we have talked about the best way to do things (basically, it was me picking his brain). Starting a motor with no oil for a brief time doesn't help it. It's not like running it on the road that way but considering dry starts as bad, which is what happens when the oil drains back into the filter, is even mentioned on oil filter commercials. While that would usually be only a sales tactic, it is based in fact. The oil that would normally be left above the filter after the motor stops, drains out when the filter is loosened. Depending on the flow rate of the oil pump, the time needed to refill the filter and passages above the filter will vary but pressure has very little to do with flow rate, so when you say oil change places don't prime filters, it's because that takes more time, not because they know the best way to do anything. I refuse to go to those places.

The last time I did was before I left town on a trip and didn't have time to do it myself. The guy doing the job came into the waiting room to tell me that the drain plug was stripped and the replacement would cost $7. I told him that "no, it won't. I have done all of the oil changes before and it was never loose after I tightened it". He had used his trusty air wrench to tighten it.

Nice revenue stream, if you can pull it off.

dummy
07-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I'd agree w/ Jim about filling the filter. That's why Toyota filters and other quality aftermarket filters have anti-drain back check valves in 'em. Figure they're not gonna build it in there if it weren't necessary to keep the filter full.

That said, I put 250K miles on a Dodge 318 doing the oil changes myself and never once filling the filter. Meh, either way, but it seems cheap insurance to pour 3/4- or 1-qt in the filter for good measure. Takes an extra minute and the filter media should suck up a lot of the oil and help prevent drips on install.

JimN
07-12-2009, 12:22 PM
One thing I will add- Ford, in their finite wisdom, put the filter at an odd angle on some of their motors and this virtually eliminates the chance of clean oil changes or filling the filter before first startup after an oil change. They may use a higher flow pump to combat any problems that would normally arise from this arrangement.

bigmac
07-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I have an 06 XStar on a lift at Smith Lake. No MC dealer on the lake, and no trailer. I would like to do basic maintenance myself...oil change, impeller change, transmission fluid...etc. When you read the manual, it is pretty intimidating with everything they suggest doing regarding maintenance.

Does anyone have a suggestion/list of what I should absolutely do...I bought an oil change pump and plan to change the oil this weekend. I bought the boat last summer with 50hrs on it and have put about 50 more on it. My plan is to change the oil about every 50 hours which is now.

Thanks.

DO NOT drain the oil by sticking the pump's drain hose down the dipstick. Asking for trouble - could get stuck, which often requires removing the oil pan to get out, which in turn requires that the engine be pulled, or at least lifted.

Drain the oil by connecting the oil suction pump directly to the oil drain hose that's attached to the oil pan.

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 12:28 PM
DO NOT drain the oil by sticking the pump's drain hose down the dipstick. Asking for trouble - could get stuck, which often requires removing the oil pan to get out, which in turn requires that the engine be pulled, or at least lifted.

Drain the oil by connecting the oil suction pump directly to the oil drain hose that's attached to the oil pan.

So I see you recommend Amsoil. :D

bigmac
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
So I see you recommend Amsoil. :D

...and gingko biloba and Evercleanse

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
SHAMWOW!!!!!

JimN
07-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Hercules Hooks for everyone! And Mighty Putty!

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
That Evercleanse is pricey, but I could sure use the increased brain function.

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 05:58 PM
That Evercleanse is pricey, but I could sure use the increased brain function.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)
Didn't make my brain function better, but then again, my heads not up my a--!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

At least not today!

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 06:16 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)
Didn't make my brain function better, but then again, my heads not up my a--!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

At least not today!

Good shot #1 right across the bow. :D

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Good shot #1 right across the bow. :D

The vine was out there and like Tarzan, I grabbed on and swung!:rolleyes::D