PDA

View Full Version : Impeller help

Skywalker
06-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Does any one have a good place I can look to find out how to change the water impeller in my 08 X-15? I would like to try and do it myself to save a little coin being we got this recession on!

JohnE
06-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Sarch this site and you will find dozens of threads and thousands of posts.

Welcome to the forum.

bigmac
06-15-2009, 09:22 PM
The later-model MasterCraft owner's manuals seem to be pretty stripped down. If there's no information in yours, download one of the previous years. A good place to start is page 15-4 of the 2007 owner's manual. You can download it here (http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/).

Searching Team Talk for the word "impeller" will net you far more information that you'd ever want to know.

Skywalker
06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys! I tryed the whole search the forum thing and that is when my A.D.D. kicked in real hard. That is why I find it is just better to ask. I know my limits.

hkallestad
06-16-2009, 03:28 AM
It's very easy to change the impeller yourself. Find the raw water pump and order the right type of impeller and gasket. Typically take the front cover off, and then you see the impeller(take a picture now). Pull the impeller out with a impeller puller or a plier(I use my leatherman), be carefull so you dont scrape the wall on the pump with the plier. Check for any debris in the pump, put some soap on the new impeller and install it with the lamelles lying the right way(look at the picture you took earlier). Put on new gasket and close pump. Run engine and make sure that the pump is pumping water, if you have a see through hose you'll see it, if you don't put a finger on the pump, it will get cool when it pumps water, if it's running dry it wil get warm and the impeller will be damaged if run too long this way(the soap will save it for a short while).

hkallestad
06-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Just need to add that I have freshwater cooling so I can run the engine for a short while even if the raw water pump is not working. If you don't have freshwater cooling I wouldnt run the engine without the raw water pump working.

twothfxr
06-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I replaced the impeller but I cannot get water sucked up through the fake a lake port. I have placed a hose into the port and the other end into a bucket of water . When the engine is running shouldn't it suck water out of the bucket?

hkallestad
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
If the fake a lake is not sucking air/leaking I guess it should. I would take the water inlet hose of the thru hull fitting an put that hose into the bucket or connect the garden hose/watesupply directly to the water inlet hose. Open the pump again and check that the lamelles on the impeller sit right.

Chicago190
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
If the fake a lake is not sucking air/leaking I guess it should. I would take the water inlet hose of the thru hull fitting an put that hose into the bucket or connect the garden hose/watesupply directly to the water inlet hose. Open the pump again and check that the lamelles on the impeller sit right.

The impeller vanes will orient themselves properly when the raw water pump is spinning.

Take the front cover off the impeller housing and disconnect the safety lanyard. Then crank the engine for a second or two, you should see the impeller rotating. I have heard of some brand new impellers not being mounted to the hub properly, and thus the hub turns without rotating the impeller.

waterskimike
06-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I replaced the 2 hoses off the manifold that were leaking as the boat has not neen run in two years. I replaced the impeller that was missing vanes. I removed the thermostat that looked fried. The motor runs good however I am not sure that the water pump is working properly. We have backflushed from the impeller back to make sure there were not any obstructions. Can we flush the lines or should I take off the water pump as that could be bad. I used 1 minute Permatex that is outstanding when you need a gasket at the lake.

Chicago190
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
I replaced the 2 hoses off the manifold that were leaking as the boat has not neen run in two years. I replaced the impeller that was missing vanes. I removed the thermostat that looked fried. The motor runs good however I am not sure that the water pump is working properly. We have backflushed from the impeller back to make sure there were not any obstructions. Can we flush the lines or should I take off the water pump as that could be bad. I used 1 minute Permatex that is outstanding when you need a gasket at the lake.

What is the issue that makes you assume the water pump is not working properly?