PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh

BriEOD
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
My wife just called to relate a story to me I thought I would share as I’m in disbelief on two parts:

One of my neighbors is hosting a foot’n clinic this week with Lane Bowers. A bunch of people signed up and paid money (if I want to foot I’ll go on my own). The neighbor lady I’ve talked to once or twice briefly and I haven’t really talked to the guy. They recently upgraded from a DD early 90s Nautique to a brand new V-Drive Nautique. Apparently they tried to rig a boom (I assume the boom was designed for a DD off the pylon as that was their old boat) onto the V-drive. A buddy of mine who signed up was in the sling coming up at 30mph and the boom came undone. He was Ok, but needed to change his shorts. So, the neighbor lady finds my wife at the neighborhood pool (sand bottom fresh water pool adjacent to the river) and relates all this. Then she asks my wife if they can use and/or rent my boat for the week. My wife says she will have to talk to me (make me the bad guy), but probably not. However, she tells her we have a boom and could try and help them out getting their boat setup.

First, I can’t imagine trying to rig a DD boom to a V-drive boat sans the center pylon. It’s a wonder my buddy wasn’t hurt. Plus, shouldn’t the pro have come with something to make this work (maybe the switch from DD to v-drive wasn't communicated)? Second, I can count on three fingers the people in this world I’d let take my boat out without me (wife being one). I literally talked to this woman in passing for 45 seconds one day.

In the words of Dr. Evil: "how about nooooo Scott."

TMCNo1
06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
By the excellent job they have done so far, I believe I'd let them continue, without my boat! Too much liability to have to account for.:twocents:

woftam
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Wow, that sounds badly organized.
They need to quickly source a boom designed for a v-drive or tower, just for starters.

The panic involved in asking to borrow/rent your boat, when they don't know you well and at such short notice is one in a very long line of reasons why you are correct in saying, "no".

Compared to your boat, mine is not in nearly as nice condition. It's a BF 200 (purchased whenit was a semi-beater and incremental improvement projects are still in progress) that is fully ready for anything barefooting, including using a correctly matching boom. I'm in trailering distance, but the answer would still be "no".

Rockman
06-15-2009, 02:10 PM
"Borrow my boat" (from a person you don't know) = "Drive it like a Florida rental!"

No way in HE77 that is gonna happen...on top of it from a non-MC owner!

NO!

FlatBoard
06-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I would think not, unless your open to boat for hire requesting a sizeable fee! Big liability though- need much insurance.

east tx skier
06-15-2009, 02:57 PM
on top of it from a non-MC owner!

NO!

Hey, Brian,

Can I borrow your boat! ;)

Craig
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
The only way that would happen for me is if I drove it, was paid, and got some free coaching out of it as well.

JohnE
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey, Brian,

I was wondering who was #3.

east tx skier
06-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I was wondering, too. That's why I asked. :)

Sodar
06-15-2009, 03:29 PM
They do have booms that go off the pylons for v-drives.

http://www.waterskis.com/Barefoot-International-Deluxe-V-Drive-Boom-p/v-drive%20boom.htm

VOLFAN
06-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I had a friend want to borrow my boat years ago... I kinda laughed and asked him how whe was going to get my boat to the lake and then said " Oh... I will have to borrow your truck too." I said "NO annnnddddd NOOO"

brucemac
06-15-2009, 04:29 PM
yeah, call me an a-hole, but i don't even think i'd let my best friends or family borrow my boat. recipe for ex-best friends and family. :)

JohnE
06-15-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah, call me an a-hole, but i don't even think i'd let my best friends or family borrow my boat. recipe for ex-best friends and family. :)

a-hole.

I wouldn't either. I have met some people through this place that I'd let borrow it though.:cool:

No, not you Monte.:D:D

brucemac
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
lol.......

BriEOD
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I'd have to think about adding Doug...

However, you would have to leave Cameron as collateral.8p

Rockman
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey, Brian,

Only a few can meet the requirements...;)

ProTour X9
06-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't let Harold drive my boat! Ok maybe...

CameronCarey
06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
I have a 12' Aluminum V hull boat with a 15 Hp outboard i might loan them to go look for the boom!

CantRepeat
06-15-2009, 05:30 PM
The only way that would happen for me is if I drove it, was paid, and got some free coaching out of it as well.

Rent it yes, it comes with a driver, me. I need meals, lessons, and my pay is by the hour, pulls or not. It's a great deal, take it or leave it, sorry.

stuartmcnair
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't let Harold drive my boat! Ok maybe...

It would probably come back cleaner...

east tx skier
06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd have to think about adding Doug...

However, you would have to leave Cameron as collateral.8p

Wow, I get the boat and you're offering to babysit??? :D

BriEOD
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Touche!!! :D:)8p

Workin' 4 Toys
06-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Bri, You can borrow my boat.

peason
06-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow - I wouldn't even have the nerve to ask! Hope you don't get bashed by the neighbors or saying no. It would be kind of cool to foot with Lane Bowers though - can they set you up with some lessons or a trip to Florida during the winter as your ski school of choice?

BriEOD
06-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Bri, You can borrow my boat.

Thx bro!

Actually, I talked to my buddy last night and he went under the boat!:eek: Luckily he didn't get into the prop. The boom was a brand new tower boom set up by the Nautique dealer when they bought the boat (my assumption that is was a modified DD boom was incorrect). Apparently, the bolt(s) pulled out of the bracket and it broke lose. Furthermore, it smacked the side of the boat and left a nice scratch. I called the owner last night to offer any help, sans my boat, and had a 10 minute conversation. Scary stuff!!

sizzler
06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
the one and only time i lent my boat out to anyone was 2 years ago .....

the local RAF waterski/wakeboard club needed a boat for their regional championships....i did not have the heart to turn down the servicemen......

they repaid my kindness with the boat returned polished and a brand new Roam Wakeboard in the racks...

they were good people.......

i am glad that they have never asked again.....:cool:

JohnE
06-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Thx bro!

Actually, I talked to my buddy last night and he went under the boat!:eek: Luckily he didn't get into the prop. . Scary stuff!!

Um, wicked scarey. Glad he is OK. That's the 2nd guy I've heard of almost getting run over by a boat in the past week.

JohnE
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM

He's gonna babysit Sodar?:confused:

I kid.:D

TMCNo1
06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
He's gonna babysit Sodar?:confused:

He can take Soda to McDonald's for a Happy Meal and he'll play with the free toy that comes with it for hours!:rolleyes::D

Craig
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1166518423-NT63WWDE7D3VEMYJIHV27UP77NYSYCJC.jpg