PDA

View Full Version : Good News/Bad News

ChrisG
05-24-2005, 06:10 PM
I want to make this story as short as possible. I was out wakeboaring on Sunday with friends and family. During my set, I hit the wake sort of awkward and ended up dislocating my left knee. Very gruesome sight for myself and everyone else in the boat...not to mention the most pain I've ever experienced in my life. But this post isn't about me and my injury. I wanted to bring to everyone's attention how nice and supportive everyone was who were around that day. As I sat on the sunpad with my knee cap to the side of my leg, every boat that passed by slowed down (to not create a wake) and offered any kind of help. One boat (Mastercraft) that I want to mention went so far as to race over to Union Point (restraunt on the Delta) to call 911 (we couldn't get a cell phone reception). They waited there unitil I was loaded up onto the ambulance. Since I was the only one in my crew who could trailor the boat, when my brother got back to the launch (Orwood), he asked two guys if they could do it for him. The two guys drove the boat onto the trailor, connected to the boat buddy, pulled the drain plug, and tied down the back with the transom straps. The moral of this story is to let everyone know that most people on the water are very courteous and will go out of there way to help others. If any of you who are reading this and were out at the Delta on Sunday, THANK YOU!! :smile:

André
05-24-2005, 06:14 PM
You're right,good new AND bad news...
How are you feeling and how's your knee ?
Ouch...The kind of injury that hurts just reading about it !
Good luck!

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Chris, I'm really sorry to hear you were injured. It's good to know that there are good people out there. All the best on a speedy recovery.

bradamerry
05-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the knee... :( Glad you had some help there though!!!

BriEOD
05-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Man, just coming into the season. Sorry to hear that Chris, hope you recover quickly.

ChrisG
05-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks everyone. The Doctor said it would take 6-8 weeks to recover. Which should be sometime in late July, early August. I think the hardest part will be the mental aspect of it. I never want to experience something like that again.

Tennesseeski
05-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear that man. My first set friday will be for you. Get well soon!

AirJunky
05-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the injury...... guess you have a chance to try out a foil now. Maybe even get out a bit sooner too. ;)
Good luck in your recovery.

mitch
05-24-2005, 07:12 PM
That's a bummer Chris, get well quick!

MarkP
05-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hear it Chris. I guess you can spend a little more time at the Team Talk..

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-24-2005, 09:36 PM
WOW, that sucks that your injured. :( Best wishes to you and your speedy recovery. IT is nice to know that there are still helping people out in the world. :wavey: Hats off to those who helped you, thats very admirable of them. Get well soon!!

redmike
05-24-2005, 09:39 PM
sorry about the knee, :( but it is nice to hear about good boaters still out there, we should all keep this in mind when we see someone in need. :twocents:

bcampbe7
05-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear that Chris. My bosses son dislocated his knee playing soccer a few months ago. I saw some pictures from the ER. Not pretty! Don't worry though, you will be back boarding in no time. :toast:

Leroy
05-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Sorry to hear about that Chris, just remember good rehab and don't go full force again when you are 85%, wait for 100%. Will everyone owe you for the driving until then?

jimmer2880
05-25-2005, 07:06 AM
stinks about your knee. Glad all the boats stopped for you though. I'm very sure that all the trash around my parts wouldn't even notice & start tubing around us if that ever happens.

tex
05-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Chris-that blows! You have a great attitude! That will make rehab twice as fast!-tex-

LakePirate
05-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Good luck with the rehab.

And Kudos to the other helpful boaters.

H2OGirl
05-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Sucks about the knee man, I hope we never have to deal with injuries from wakeboarding. You mentioned you were the only one who knew how to trailer the boat, that is the exact reason I make my husband teach me how to load, unload, and back the trailer down, just in case something would happen, I want to know how to get us back to shore and loaded up correctly.

SteveO
05-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Ouch. It hurt just hearing about it. Glad to hear that the good sports were availble to help. Stay on the rehab schedule and you'll be back in no time.

rick s.
05-25-2005, 02:50 PM
This kind of stuff scares me, and it's why my kids wakeboard with helmets. I should too, but... I have heard other stories, like the great Shaun Murray with his wakeboard related compound fracture. Can you imagine trying to remove your foot from a wakeboard binding with a dislocated knee or a broken leg while sitting on the transom or in the water?

Makes me shudder thinking about it.

MasterMason
05-25-2005, 03:23 PM
This kind of stuff scares me, and it's why my kids wakeboard with helmets. I should too, but... I have heard other stories, like the great Shaun Murray with his wakeboard related compound fracture. Can you imagine trying to remove your foot from a wakeboard binding with a dislocated knee or a broken leg while sitting on the transom or in the water?

Makes me shudder thinking about it.

Hopefully you would just disconect the boot from the board and leave it on for someone qualified to cut it off

ChrisG
05-25-2005, 04:59 PM
That is exactly what I did. I was able to remove my right foot from the binding and unscrew the bad one from off the board, but wasn't able to even move the left foot let alone pull it out of the binding. Luckily one of the doctors at the hospital was able to unscrew and take the binding apart rather than cut it off. That saved me a good $350 bucks. Wow, what a weekend!!

erkoehler
05-25-2005, 05:02 PM
WOW, coming in alittle late, but sorry to hear about your accident, but atleast they salvaged the binding!

The glass is always half full....

wakesport
05-25-2005, 05:04 PM
2 years back I dislocated my shoulder barefooting. I stayed in the wet suit for 4 hours until they pulled my shoulder back into place. I kept telling them not to cut the suit.