PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl & MDC Problems

chudzy
05-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I have had two minor problems with my 2000 X-5 that I am wondering if anyone else has seen.

Item #1, with only 481 hours, always being stored indoors and having a short season in WI, all my vinyl seats have cracked along the seams and begining to radiate out perpendicular from the seams.

Item #2, I am about to replace my second MDC (black box) in the last 2-3 years after it filled with water (again) from the speedo pick ups.

My dealer, and other dealers close by claim the have never seen this happen.

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Welcome. There are others around that time frame that had vinyl issues they posted about a while back. I recall reading that they used a different vinyl around 99 or 2000 (can't remember which). You won't wait long for your answer.

G-man
05-24-2005, 05:15 PM
I remember the same time frame east texas. Do you use a vinal protectant? The only recommended protectant is 303. Armoral is known to crack vinal, also how do you clean your vinal? Dispite your short season you do seem to get a lot of hours on your engine.

mitch
05-24-2005, 06:21 PM
I had the same exact interior issues on a 2K MC:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=509

After replacing the skins I switched to this and 303 protectant.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/veadastore/cleaning1.html
Good luck!

I doubt it's related to the cleaning products you used, just a bad year for Vinyl.

JimN
05-24-2005, 07:15 PM
The reason the MDC is toast is that the speedo lines and ballast tubes weren't drained and blown out. If you're in SE WI, the water remaining froze and burst the sensor in the MDC box. Once there's a leak in the line, the water pressure is relieved and it can seep or squirt out at a convenient place.

The lines need to be cleared as a matter of course when winterizing in this climate. Period. If the ballast doesn't crack(which it may have), a little water in the sensor is all it takes. Call MC about this.