PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting- carb

rem_p
05-24-2005, 04:22 PM
my 79 wont idle....also when trying to run at full throttle it skips and seems to bogg-down....any of you pro's got any tips for me...im thinking rebuild.....its just the skipping part that worries me....is it skipping cause its not getting enough gas or what? i really dont want to buy that $500 new carb

AR Footer
05-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Does it cough, sputter, and or backfire or just bog down? My 85 would bog down, sputter, cough, and backfire. My carb needed rebuilding but I also found broken springs in my distributor when I was installing my electronic ignition. Once I fixed the springs all of my problems went away. Have you checked your fuel filter(s) for trash?

I wouldn't necessarily buy a new carb. Rebuild kits (available at www.skidim.com) are relatively inexpensive compared to the purchase of a new carb and you can do it yourself if you are pretty mechanically inclined. If not, there are probably many mechanics out there that would do the work for a nominal fee. I had a friend rebuild mine and he was able to work on it after he got off work and have it back to me overnight.

rem_p
05-24-2005, 08:19 PM
doesnt really cough, or sputter....just seems to skip and cut out like its not getting enough gas.....do you think the springs in the distributor being broke would cause this skipping?....i'm wanting to do the electronic kit upgrade to mine as well.

Lance
05-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Are your sure your ignition is in good shape? Timing and dwell are set? Be sure to check these $10 maintenance items before you tear into a carburetor rebuild.

I tinker with old tractors and an old timer on the tractor forum is always telling us younger guys that, "if it feels like a carb issue check the ignition and if it feels like an ignition problem check the carb". His point is to make sure you check the simple things on both sides before you tackle the heavy duty stuff on either. Ignition problems are easy to find and fix.

Lance

AR Footer
05-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Sounds more like the carb or fuel system problem. However, I would check all of the simple things first. Is your timing correct? After I rebuilt my carb last year I thought that something wasn't done right because it tried to quit on me after running hard for a few minutes. I tried to nurse it back to shore last year and it got to where it wouldn't idle either. Problem had been occurring at wide open throttle. Turns out that I had a broken spring in the distributor. The vibration would cause the distributor parts to move and change the timing. The broken spring eventually lodged where the timing was messed up so bad that it wouldn't run at all. I worked on it at the lake for a little while then brought it home and went to install my electronic ignition when I found the broken spring.

You can usually pull the plugs when this occurs and you will find some that are fouled.

If you want to check the springs all you have to do is take the distributor cap off, mark the rotor position and then take the rotor and capacitor off. There will be two screws in the breaker plate. Remove them. Remove lubricating felt from top of cam. Use needle nose pliers to grip and pull the retaining clip off of the shaft inside the cam assembly. Lift the cam and stop plate assembly off of the shaft. You should be able to see the springs and weights at this point. If you need to change the springs do them one at a time.

If you decide to dig into the distributor you might as well put the electronic ignition on at that point. You will have half of the work already done and you will not be sorry. I ordered mine from www.skidim.com and I am very pleased. It came with instructions but Vince had already talked me through it when I called to make sure that I got the right system for my engine.

Leroy
05-25-2005, 12:15 AM
rem_p; No other clues like smell gas, plugs are black, exhaust black/sooty, plugs all look good and the same, etc. Have you run any cleaner through the carb (seafoam) or have you put any heet in (for possible water). New gas this year or still sitting from last year? With a '79 I'm guessing you have already went through all of these, but what I would look for.

rem_p
05-25-2005, 03:22 PM
havent checked anything guys...i havent even put it in the water this season(working 6 days a week kinda sucks)...this is just issues i had last year back in september...i pulled it out of the barn monday, washed it, put the battery back in it and hooked the hosepipe to it....squirted fresh gas in the carb and cranked up on the 2nd or 3rd try....wasnt really idleing all that well but i only let it run for about 10-15 seconds....plugs looked fine....i'll get out there later this afternoon and check the distributor and points....definately gonna do the electronic conversion...thanks for the help guys...i'll let you know what i come up with.