PDA

View Full Version : Broke my Ankle/Leg

ProTour X9
06-11-2009, 03:04 PM
First for the story: The sunday of Memorial weekend at about 5:00 am my dad and I were heading out in the woods to go turkey hunting. We step three feet in the woods and they're already gobbling like mad, so we head in their direction. So about 75 yards in, I stumble on a wire and try to regain my footing and shove my right foot into the "Y" of a fallen log then my body twisted and I fell and a snap came with it. I scream in pain, my dad calms me down and gets me standing up with one arm around him and a stick in my left hand; he then set me down on a big stump and took my gun (which the safety was on as always and luckily I didn't rack one in to the chamber) and brought the truck to the nearest field (about 50 yds away). So he gets back to me and we slowly make our way uphill through the woods to the truck........and I end up in the ER....etc etc

For the medical pros on TT: a mildly displaced spiral fracture of the lateral malleolus with slight dorsal displacement. There is a transverse fracture of the medial malleolus with lateral displacement. There is a tiny fragment off of the posterior aspect of the distal tibia

Basically I broke my lower tibia and fibula. So I got surgery...7 screws and a plate, and today I got my cast off and now I'm in a removable boot. I was just wondering if you guys have been here and know anything I should do for rehabilitation so I can get back on the water (Doc says 1 more month).

And heres my X-Rays before surgery:

flipper
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
That sucks, sorry to hear that. As for advice, do what the doc says to avoid doing more damage and making the recovery take longer. Been there done that:D

wakewander
06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I know the pain, I was hanging a lock on for my dad when it broke and dumped me 30 feet. I landed on my feet and it crushed my talus, that is the sort of round bone that both the tibia and fibula rotate on. I was in a non walking cast for three months and a walking one for one month. I was sent to rehab, also the name of my boat, but there are some exercises that will help. First and foremost use ice and heat therapy. One exercise that they had me do was brace myself and put weight just on that limb that was injured. Practice moving the ankle in all directions, even calf extensions. Electrical stimulation will help as well. That will also help to gain muscle stength back. Once you gain some strength and the soreness along with swelling starts to go down, you can get on this ball with a flat piece of hard plastic that you stand on with that one foot and work on your stabalizing muscles, it is hard to describe but it looks like the planet saturn with the top half of the planet cut off. I'm going to tell you i will take a while, and ice!

Double D
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Yepper!! Been there and done that. Except my injury happened during wakeboarding. It was late in the season, September 24th, 2007 and my nephew was in town from the marines and we all went out in my brothers Nautique to enjoy the evening and maybe the last run of the year. Since it was his boat I had to take the first run and boy did I screw that evening up. I was having a good wakeboard run (for a 40 year old) when I leaned to far back and to the right as I was doing a jump across the wake from right to left. When the board hit the opposite side wake it went down the wake and I was leaning back to the side the opposite way. My leg snapped to the right and then snapped back into place. I knew it was broken as soon as it happened. My bro came back around for another run and I said, "Sorry guys were done, I just broke my ankle". They thought I was joking but not for long. My brother, who is smaller than me but stronger, pulls my 230 pound *** about of the water and gets me in the boat. We unscrewed the binding from the board and thought about trying to pul off the binding to save it from the doctors knife. But as soon as I tried to get it loose I felt things move so I kept the binding on all the way into the Emergency Room, where thankfully the nurse grabbed a screwdriver and removed the boot without damage.

Now, the doctor told me I ended up breaking 3 different bones (I don't know where the third one is) and I dont have the official statement, but I had surgery the next day and got eight screws and a plate (gotcha by one) in my right ankle. I was in a splint for a week and half before they put me in a hard cast. I was in the hard cast for 4 weeks and then a walking boot. Once I was not using crutches any more they started me on therapy and rehab, which I did for 6 weeks. I was very thankful that this injury happened during the off season so I was ready to go by Spring.

My only only real suggestion on rehab is to make sure you get full movement back in the ankle. My ankle may have slight arthritis and I do not have full motion back when I try to lean forward and keep my foot flat. This affects my wakeboarding because when I lean forward in the binding my heal pulls up off the bottom and tends to loosen the binding and affects my form and the angle of the board in the water.

As for your binding you may need to make some small adjustments to it since there are now screws poking out on both sides of your ankle. Since the doctor told me any severe rubbing could cut through the skin I had to cut out some padding in the binding where my screws are.

My last problem, which you shouldn't have, is just getting your balls back to do the stuff you were doing before the accident. Since I did it wakeboarding I now know what can happen so even after one summer and an early 09 spring, I am still working trying to get back to where I was before the accident.

Whatever you need to do, dont let it slow you down and good luck!

Below are pictures from my broken ankle.

CantRepeat
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Damn it's pretty swollen.

So did you get an turkeys??

brucemac
06-11-2009, 05:35 PM
yyyyyyyyyuck! those pics give me the willys. sorry to hear about it and get well soon.

ProTour X9
06-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks wakewander and Double D for the advice and DD my new X-Ray w/ the screws looks just like yours except I only have one long screw in my tibia. Mine wasn't and isn't nearly as swollen as yours was, and the doc said my cartilage looks picture perfect lowering my chance of arthritis. Yeah they pulled my staples out today which didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. And no turkeys for me. I'm not sure when I should start moving my ankle working on motion though...

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with bruce-oh my gawd-that hurts just looking at the x-rays. Hope everything goes well for you.

Sodar
06-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Good Stuff!

Glad to see everything has worked out and I hope you have a speeding recovery!

Always wanted to be an Orthopedic Surgeon... if I were just smart enough to get through Med School! :D How cool would it be to cut, screw and drill into people for a living!?!?

russlars
06-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Sorry to hear the news, but did you get the gobbler before you left?:)

Double D
06-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I would suggest you ask the doctor about starting to move the ankle. I am not sure about your doctor but mine was a dud. Right before I started going to rehab I went in for an appointment and he asked me how I was doing walking? I said, " I haven't walked on it yet". He said, "Why Not?" I said, "BECAUSE YOU NEVER TOLD ME I COULD!!" So he says, "Oh yeah. Go ahead".

Sheesh! So make sure you ask him and he will tell you when you can start moving it. The rehab people will also get it moving for you, alot, and sometimes painful. And yes I totally agree with wakewander, after using it put on a lot of ice!

Thanks wakewander and Double D for the advice and DD my new X-Ray w/ the screws looks just like yours except I only have one long screw in my tibia. Mine wasn't and isn't nearly as swollen as yours was, and the doc said my cartilage looks picture perfect lowering my chance of arthritis. Yeah they pulled my staples out today which didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. And no turkeys for me. I'm not sure when I should start moving my ankle working on motion though...

woftam
06-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Get a cryo cuff made for your ankle. Makes cold therapy convenient.
http://www.orthoticsandbeyond.com/c-22-hot-cold-therapy.aspx
I had one for my knee related to acl surgery and it was magic.

Other than that, a good PT can be your best friend. Let them know what kinds of activities you participate in, let them know you want to be fairly agressive with the PT, and a good pT will help you on your way while helping you avoid set-backs.

JohnE
06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Doug I don't have any advice for the therapy. I am real sorry to hear about your plight. Hope you heal quick.

ProTour X9
06-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your info/good wishes!! I took my boot off tonight and can move my ankle about 1 inch in each direction w/o too much pain.

ncsone
06-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I did the exact same thing to mine 10 years ago in a motorcycle accident. The good news is that once properly healed it should give you little or no lingering issues. I have 6 screws on the medial side and 3 on the lateral side. I still run, cycle, waterskis, snow ski, etc. with no pain whatsoever. Yours should be the same. I chose to leave the screws in, but my Dr. gave me the option of having mine removed after 1 year. Yours may give you the same option and its your call on that. I just prefer to not go under the knife unless I have to.

I can not say enough good things about doing the rehab. It should be a relatively short rehab - I think mine was 1 hr./ day, 3x per week for 4 weeks. As mentioned elsewhere here, if you do not get the range of movement back now, you will never get it back. Your Dr. will probably get you into rehab before you will even be able to walk on it. It is a weird feeling that first time you step with it without a cast on.

Sorry to hear this happened, but as far as injuries go, you could have had a lot worse.

Gamble
06-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I shattered my ankle and leg in a motorcycle crash at work back in july of last year..........had 2 surgeries, one being a bone graft to get the ankle bone to grow.........still not up to plump yet......all the ligaments and tendons were screwed up too, and now they're givin' me fits.........you'll get back together though...........both of us will, at some point!!

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Doug I don't have any advice for the therapy. I am real sorry to hear about your plight. Hope you heal quick.

Great post. :rolleyes:

Craig
06-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your injury, luckily you did it early enough in the year you could still get some decent season out of it.

I broke my ankle a few years ago slalom skiing, medial malleous no displacement (i.e. no surgery). Had some significant tendon partial tears in there as well.

The first issue to overcome is the range of motion. You leg will be weak and stiff when you start walking on it. I can remember being sore after walking a few hundred yards in a day. My best advice here is to stick with the rehab, and that shouldn't be hard you will get some results.

However, I think people often quit rehab too soon. Any tendon damage is going to take much longer to heal than the bone so be sure and stick with the rehab until you are 100%. Plus, it is my understanding that tendons do not really heal until you are moving and working them a little, so they aren't getting much better sitting in a cast.

I started walking after 6 weeks but did not feel close 100% until 16-18 weeks, even then I would get tired quickly. I stuck with my rehab for nearly 12 weeks after I started walking on it and I am glad I did. At this point I cannot even tell where I broke it.

Best of luck, hope you feel better soon.

JohnE
06-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Great post. :rolleyes:

And yours is more profound?:D

bcampbe7
06-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear you are healing nicely. You will be back at it before you know it. :cool:

And yours is more profound?:D

Give Stu's a break. He just learned to type with both hands on the keyboard! :D

Hanse1
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I also have screws and a plate in my right ankle both sides, had a great surgeon and rehab. I was barefooting on it 5 months later but should have waited another month (scars are sensitive to the spray). Stretching was the key with a ski handle, hook your toes and pull towards you. Also moving your foot in circles and writing the alphabet in the air with your toes. Once in a while I step on something or twist wrong and I still feel it. Good luck!

ProTour X9
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm not surprised by your emphasis on the importance of rehab, but I was surprised that my doctor barely mentioned it. So far I've just been easily trying to move my ankle as far as it will go with out hurting, and sorta massaging it as its still sore/tender. I'll probably have to drop the good doctor a line and see what I can do to get my movement back. I don't know if I mentioned it but I'm not weight bearing at all for one month.

Jorski
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
+1 for the rehab...and one more thing, don't rush your comeback to skiing!!!

Waterskiing is one of those sports that is so hard to do gently. I came back too soon after, a shoulder recontruction, a hamstring rip, and a knee surgery...should have waited longer.

Each time, I felt good, promised myself that I would take it easy...then you get out there and you just start pulling too hard. Caused myself either some damage or a setback each time.

jdl xstar
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Many of us feel your pain. Best wishes for a speedy recover.

I've torn my acl in both knees from wakeboarding. Just yesterday I was pulling my buddy and he dislocated his shoulder on a bad crash and had to be taken to the emergency room. Right after we pulled him out of the water he yelled out "I'm too old for this Sh!t!"

Picks from last september right after acl surgery:

suedv
06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope your recovery goes well.

lanier92prostar
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Rehab, Rehab, Rehab. Do the exact physical therapy the doctor recommends. I broke my ankle 13 weeks ago. No displacement, No surgery. Doing the rehab. Doc told me last week that I could resume normal activities, Ankle is still extremely sore after doing anything. I asked the doc about it and he told me that the ankle would probably be sore for another couple of months. Best of luck to you.

ProTour X9
07-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I just got back from the doctor and he says I can bear full weight on it, and FINALLY swim, and he gave me a pamphlet of therapy instructions! I'm supposed to start weening off the crutches and I tried walking w/o them today and it hurt like hell. Hopefully I'll be doing something behind the boat by the end of July (probably not barefooting).

I'M GOING SWIMMING!

Double D
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I really dont understand! The doctor should be sending you to therapy, not just hand you a pamphlet of therapy instructions. It's either the doctor or your insurance company because I know the doctor has to write a perscription for therapy. Please check into this more because you'll be better off and get better faster and stronger. My two cents. I just got back from the doctor and he says I can bear full weight on it, and FINALLY swim, and he gave me a pamphlet of therapy instructions! I'm supposed to start weening off the crutches and I tried walking w/o them today and it hurt like hell. Hopefully I'll be doing something behind the boat by the end of July (probably not barefooting).

I'M GOING SWIMMING!