PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings/Bearing Buddies

clemlochner
06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I lost a bearing buddy bra on the road last weekend. Here is my question.

Since I have not touched the wheel bearings in 9 years and I'm not sure when the original owner conducted maintenance on the wheels, should I do maintenance or just make sure the bearing buddy is full of grease? I was going to spin the wheel to make sure the bearings are not making noise. I'm sure there is at least 20k miles on the trailer.

The trailer is 18 yrs old.

Thanks for any advice.

Ski-me
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
If it's that old, it's due for a service. I am going to do mine as well in the next few weeks. The bearings are probably $20 and then some grease. I would hate the idea that the a bearing would fail and then who knows what happens.....:(

scharette
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
What do you do when you service ? you guys just change bearings ?

bbeach
06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
pull the bearing buddies
pull the bearings - replace loading properly with fresh marine grease!
pull the races - replace!
re-install bearing buddies - pump full of grease.
Buy new bearing buddy bras and put on.

If your old bearings are "OK" you could soak them overnight in mineral spirits, clean, load with grease and put in a ziploc baggy and keep in vehicle "just in case"!

etduc
06-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I lost a bearing buddy bra on the road last weekend. Here is my question.

Since I have not touched the wheel bearings in 9 years and I'm not sure when the original owner conducted maintenance on the wheels, should I do maintenance or just make sure the bearing buddy is full of grease? I was going to spin the wheel to make sure the bearings are not making noise. I'm sure there is at least 20k miles on the trailer.

The trailer is 18 yrs old.

Thanks for any advice.

Nothing good happens, when bearings seize. Bearings are cheaper than, towing, rebuilding hub spindle, replacing axel, mad wife (when week end is ruin),etc.

Bearing buddies are no substitute, for inspection and proper maintenance. (hand packing a wheel bearing)

Yearly inspection, check your brakes, while you're at it.

babymoore3
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Second that, time to check the bearings and repack! If the bearings are clean (no rust, pits, damage to races, etc.) just wipe out as much of the old grease as you can, flush clean with some solvent, repack well. I don't see anyone stating the rear seal should be checked or replaced. Rear seal is just as important as the repacking! I did a simple search on boat trailer bearing repack and tons of information out there! I will agree with some of the post - no reason to wait for bearing failure if you can repack for a can of grease $5 and couple hours of time. By the way the bra isn't really as important as the bearing buddy plate (with the grease zerk) being free to move slightly in the cylinder (means there is adequate grease). See the bearing buddy website for more information on that....

Footin
06-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Repack every two years and replace all bearings and seals every four years.

deereman
06-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Definetly a good idea to just check em. When we just bought our 87 the first thing we did was check the bearings only to find out that there was some old crappy grease in there and it probably wouldn't have made the trip without something going wrong. The problem with the bearing buddies is that people think they can just keep pumpin grease in there and it will all be good. Always a good idea to take them apart once a year especially if you put alot if miles on it. When you repack them make sure you work the grease well into the bearings. The grease is alot cheaper than doing damage to the bearings.

NatesGr8
06-22-2009, 07:17 PM
i vote for changing out the bearings, they cost lest that 20 bucks at walmart.

FoggyNogginz
03-16-2010, 09:22 PM
On my last MC, there were bearing buddies on the trailer and they were easy to access. However, on my most recent trailer (2001 model) there is simply a plastic cup over the hub which is held on by the tire/wheel. Do you guys suggest keeping this or should I ditch this glitzy plastic thing and go back to exposed bearing buddies so that I can check the grease levels?

Thanks much!

mtajpa
03-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Just repacked mine this weekend. Trailer is a 99 DHM and the bearings had never been repacked only grease had been pumped in them. Totally cleaned out all of the grease inspected and repacked and replaced the seals. The caps were junk getting new ones now keeps all the dirt out. Also if you over fill the bearings buddies there is a hole with an "A" mark near it that will allow excess grease to come out to prevent the seals from being forced out by pumping too much grease inside them. Good for another 11 years.

Thrall
03-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree completely with the bearing maintenance and repalcement as you guys have said. However I was livin on the edge (kinda like Sodar and his 3 year old impeller!) with my 190. Boat was 8 yrs old when I bought it and judging by the PO's upkeep on the rest of the boat, the bearings were lucky if they saw a shot of grease in theat time period.
Every year I told myself I was going to pull the hubs off and replace/re pack the bearings (I did keep up good with greasing the bearing buddies).
Never even pulled a brake drum off in the next 6 years. Put over 20k miles on the trailer.
Pumped up the bearing buddies one last time before I delivered it to Denver and the buyer hooked it for another 300 mi home. Those bearings lasted 14years and counting without ever being pulled apart.
While I don't condone this type of neglect, they held up well. Better than they should in my opinion.
Since mine was a tandem trailer, I always used the excuse that I could just strap up the dead wheel and finish the trip. Thats what kept me from looking after them properly (unlike the rest of the boat)!

Sledge
03-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I have used this type of wheel bearing packer in the auto repair industry for many years, it works great. Faster and easier than repacking the bearings by hand. Fresh grease going in the bottom of the bearing pushes the old grease out of the top.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-Handy-Packer-Bearing/dp/B0002NYDYO

I inspect and repack bearings and replace the seals at the beginning of each season.