PDA

View Full Version : Lake House - what would you build

ccowell
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, im getting ready to build a house on the lake (just closed on the land) but I'm not sure what type style / design to do. Im in upstate NY so I have to think of the elements as well. There are a few things that I need and want in this one that I'm sure off.

1. Partly covered big front porch - good for BBQ's watching the sunset drink some cold beverages with friends
2. Indoor Fire place
3. Around 1500 sq feet

Other than that I'm open to idea's what have you guys found out that works well............ohh yeah and I'm a single guy in my late 20's, what would you do if you were me?

Jorski
06-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey,

Congrats! That will be a fun experience!

Me, I really like screened/covered porches. I also really like post and beam, and log structures.

One nice thing about log cabins, is although more expensive in terms of the shell structure, the interior walls are finished once they are up.

One more tip...storage, cheaper to build it while you are in the process...can never have enough storage at lake house !

Best of luck, and have fun!

Hrkdrivr
06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Drainage, drainage, drainage!!!

Make sure the landscaping keeps water flowing around your house rather than against/under it...

coz
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Other than that I'm open to idea's what have you guys found out that works well.

Teak :D just ask #1 :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/249/450684540_10d872b95e_b.jpg

TMCNo1
06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Teak :D just ask #1

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/249/450684540_10d872b95e_b.jpg

Nothing like the smell of linseed oil in the morning!:rolleyes::D

#47of100TeamMC
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Lots of options in the general sense. Depending on your layout it might narrow up your best suited options for the site.

What kind of property did you buy? level lot for a ranch style home? sloped for a walk-out? Narrow and deep? Wide and short?

Good Luck and don't forget the golden rule...Post Pictures!

zberger
06-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Big garage :)

Possibly a 3 season porch, with removeable windows and or screens?

ability to sleep quite a few..

Ski-me
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Go and sit on your lot for several days...even weeks. See where the sun come up and sets. Any major wind coming from a certain direction? Trees preventing the sun to hit certain spots? Best location for a deck with regards to morning or evening sun? Certain views you want to look out vs. others?

I like larger style homes....open floorplan. With 1500 sf, it would be nice to have the kitchen open to the living room. That will make you and your guests feel like there is more room to stretch out. Fireplace definitely! Unfinished basement for storage or future growth if possible.

My sister got married to a guy who built a house. He did the same thing....actually got a trailer and lived on the property for 6 months before selecting a location. Anyways, my sister said you can definitely tell he was a bachelor at the time.....they basically have NO storage! A really nice house in Wyoming but not a lot of storage. Something to think about.

Just a few thoughts.....

Double D
06-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I would build and sleep in a tent if I had too!! You lucky mother!! AWESOME!!

ccowell
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Its a old growth hardwood lot 3.25 acres, Im going to have to do some clearing with my motor saw and it has a layout for a walk out basement which I was planning on doing. That way I can use it for storage (motorized things / dirt bikes, jet skis and such). Up stars is the party and what I need help with. Is there anything wrong with having a pool table instead of a dinning room table, or having a Foosball table as a end table? I would keep a trailer on it but it is in such a "community" that I cant keep it there, don't want the riff raff in the area you know.

Let me rephase the question. What would you do for your ultimate blachor pad,

Remember
1. 1500 sq feet max
2. Wooded lot in the middle of nowhere
3. Fireplace
4. Big front porch

bcampbe7
06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Here is what I would do for a lake house...
-Covered porch facing the water.
-Tons of windows facing the water
-Stripper pole in the living room
-NO CARPET (hardwood or tile)
-Storage, storage, storage
-Open floor plan

russlars
06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Personally I am partial to A-Frames because of all of the windows which provide nice views of the lake and let in lots of sun. The only downside is that this style doesn't lend itself well to enclosed porch areas. Ours faces east and there is nothing better than waking up to the sun streaming through the windows and checking the water conditions without even getting out of bed!:D Here is the place we built several years ago. Oh, and don't forget, leave lots of money in reserve for the dock.

JimN
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey guys, im getting ready to build a house on the lake (just closed on the land) but I'm not sure what type style / design to do. Im in upstate NY so I have to think of the elements as well. There are a few things that I need and want in this one that I'm sure off.

1. Partly covered big front porch - good for BBQ's watching the sunset drink some cold beverages with friends
2. Indoor Fire place
3. Around 1500 sq feet

Other than that I'm open to idea's what have you guys found out that works well............ohh yeah and I'm a single guy in my late 20's, what would you do if you were me?

As many synthetic materials as possible, to fight off rot, insects and maintenance. Post and beam would be great- either white oak or Douglas Fir will be more rot resistant than many other species but you may still have some issues with Powder Post beetles. Standing seam metal roof, Hardy Board trim, vinyl windows (I know, but they're low maintenance) and good ventilation.

Ski-me
06-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Its a old growth hardwood lot 3.25 acres, Im going to have to do some clearing with my motor saw and it has a layout for a walk out basement which I was planning on doing. That way I can use it for storage (motorized things / dirt bikes, jet skis and such). Up stars is the party and what I need help with. Is there anything wrong with having a pool table instead of a dinning room table, or having a Foosball table as a end table? I would keep a trailer on it but it is in such a "community" that I cant keep it there, don't want the riff raff in the area you know.

Let me rephase the question. What would you do for your ultimate blachor pad,

Remember
1. 1500 sq feet max
2. Wooded lot in the middle of nowhere
3. Fireplace
4. Big front porch

Nothing wrong with a pool table where a dining room table should go just so long as a table can go there in the future (say 8 yrs from now).

2 bathrooms for sure. One in the master and one for the guests. If you made the guest room more like a loft or bunk bead room, that would be great. Just thinking a little down the road for you.

If you had room for a 1/2 bath off the main area, that would be a bonus so guests don't have to go into the other two full bathrooms.

My dad is building a house in Wyoming using "concrete" logs. Basically the forms have all kinds of texture in the forms and then you stain the concrete to a "brown wood" color. They actually look pretty realistic.

He did have the traditional log cabin several years ago and you deal with a lot of expansion/contraction issues as well as sealing. He always had tons of flies in there!!

André
06-11-2009, 05:54 PM
ohh yeah and I'm a single guy in my late 20's, what would you do if you were me?

I'ld stay single and fluck them all!!!;)

Be sure to have a nice view of the lake.Lots of windows and no trees to block your view.
Also a "A" frame guy. With a mezzannine room upstair it's a nice set up!
Big outdoor patio is a must as it's where your friends and guest will be most of the time.Sometimes you can combine patio and dock depending on local laws.
Had my first place on a lake at 30 wich was quite young at the time but you're not even 30 yet...Congrats!!!

2RLAKE
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
here is the house my wife and i built ourselves 15 years ago ... 1850 sqr feet, 3 bath, 3 bedroom. I made the kitched 17x23 because that is where we always end up at night. Biggest thing i would do over would be a bigger garage ... 2 1/2 car garage is not big enough at the lake. Agree with some of the other comments ... think about it a while. We spent over a year drawing it out, moving walls around, etc

enjoy and congrats

Chicago190
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Some things I love about our lake house:

1. 5 bedrooms. The house is small, but the entire 2nd floor and 2nd floor of the detached garage are sleeping space. Even with 5 bedrooms, you'd be shocked how quickly it becomes packed on holiday weekends.

2. Hot tub. Great for socializing and makes the body hurt less after a few days of skiing or boarding.

3. Sauna. Also great for socializing, and an absolute necessity for winter nights.

4. Screen porch. It's so much nicer to sit outside and not have to deal with bugs.

Things I don't like:

1. Only 1 bathroom in the house and 1 in the garage, and they are both small.

2. Kitchen is too small.

SkiDog
06-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Man, I'm gonna have a field day with this thread when i get time! Congrats man!

Jerseydave
06-11-2009, 10:46 PM
If you can swing it, go with 2000-2500 sq. ft. 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath.
A-frame style with a very steep pitched roof for your area (snow), metal roof works best to keep snow off.

Forget about a formal living room or dining room, these are a waste of space. Instead go for a large den/family room and really large kitchen with an island big enough for 4-6 people to sit. Leave enough space for the dining table in the kitchen too.

Master bedroom on first floor, leave the second floor for 3 more bedrooms (for guests, kids later) :)

Walk-out basement to a paver-stone patio, forget about decks unless your terrain will only allow for a deck.

Detached garage with 12' tall door and loft. 30 X 40 sounds about right. (or larger)

When it's finished I'd like to bring up the boat at least twice every summer just to see how you're doing! :D

east tx skier
06-11-2009, 11:49 PM

2. Indoor Fire place
3. Around 1500 sq feet

I'd start with the boat house. Then, the deck that faces the lake. Then I'd worry about the dwelling.

h2oskifreak
06-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Take your time with the design and several cad programs allow you to do a virtual tour. I am good w/ plans, so I can see it w/o the tour but some people can't visualize. Depending on your abilities you may or may not want this feature. Sounds like a lot of fun ahead.

TMCNo1
06-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Man, I'm gonna have a field day with this thread when i get time! Congrats man!

Skidog still has the architectural plans for the MasterCraft Hall of Fame, Museum, ProShop and Outlet Center that would be perfect for a lake house if downsized a bit!:rolleyes::D

cmw
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I think I remember a nice family in Beverly Hills that had a pool table in their living room. We had an air hockey table in our last dinning room. Any body who came over immediately saw it and wanted a game. I even played the UPS guy. I have to agree with whoever said skip the formal living room dinning room thing, they are a waste of space.

TMCNo1
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I think I remember a nice family in Beverly Hills that had a pool table in their living room. We had an air hockey table in our last dinning room. Any body who came over immediately saw it and wanted a game. I even played the UPS guy. I have to agree with whoever said skip the formal living room dinning room thing, they are a waste of space.

I thought that was their dining room table and the pool sticks was used for moving the food around from person to person across the Fancy Eating Table ?

Granite_33
06-12-2009, 11:26 AM
2 stories if you can.
A frame style with an upstairs porch off of the master bedroom overlooking the lake.
Makes a natural covering for the downstairs porch.
Plenty of windows.
More storage than you think you need. Esp with outoor toys like boats, 4 wheelers, cars, snowmobiles, etc, etc.

One thing that my father-in-law did was put a garage door on the back of the garage facing the lake at his house. It makes for very, very easy access to the toys, grill, gas cans, etc, etc. Saves the need to walk around the house to the front.

His comments after living there 5 years..........."I wish the garage was bigger, because we need more storage space."

Congrats and Good luck with it!!

Ski-me
06-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Some things I love about our lake house:

1. 5 bedrooms. The house is small, but the entire 2nd floor and 2nd floor of the detached garage are sleeping space. Even with 5 bedrooms, you'd be shocked how quickly it becomes packed on holiday weekends.

2. Hot tub. Great for socializing and makes the body hurt less after a few days of skiing or boarding.

3. Sauna. Also great for socializing, and an absolute necessity for winter nights.

4. Screen porch. It's so much nicer to sit outside and not have to deal with bugs.

Things I don't like:

1. Only 1 bathroom in the house and 1 in the garage, and they are both small.

2. Kitchen is too small.

I like these points......

Master on the main, guest rooms upstairs if possible. If not, put them on the other side of the house (opposite of master room).

Kitchen and great room are basically one room.

Maristar210
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
We bought this small 1700sft walkout ranch in feb of 2008. We gutted it to the foundation and went up with attic trusses. The entire top floor is the master bedroom, sitting are, laundry area, bathroom and wic. The king sized bed I sleep my fat *** in is directly behind those three windows on the top

View from the water back towards the house.

Maristar210
06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Picture from the deck in early spring.....

Maristar210
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Picture from last week after a hard spring rain that mudded up the river. Dock and firpit are a continueing work in progress....

That black cooler on the picnic table? its full of beer :)

sizzler
06-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Picture from last week after a hard spring rain that mudded up the river. Dock and firpit are a continueing work in progress....

steve....the bunks on your lift sure look narrow;)

SkiDog
06-12-2009, 02:43 PM
steve....the bunks on your lift sure look narrow;)

I agree totally. Ya otta move them out a little bit there pal! Nice looking setup there!

Maristar210
06-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Its an optical illusion. There 4 feet apart... :D

JohnE
06-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Coors light?:D

Ben
06-15-2009, 01:17 PM

2. Indoor Fire place
3. Around 1500 sq feet

1st thing to consider is how long do you think you will have the place & will you ever live there permanently. That could point you in certain directions. If it is only a weekend place and 1 or 2 wks a year, that is different, than planning to move in full time in 4 years. You could design it to build phase 1 now, and have it set up to add on later if you want - i.e. plumbing, electrical, structural prep already done..

Aside from that, a few good things are screened in porch, good exterior lighting on the lakeside, power to the dock, outdoor sound system (run speaker wire to the dock area - 4 med volume speakers sound a lot better than 2 blasting from the house), and most important of all - storage. Keep in mind you (and everyone else) is gonna get off the boat with a lot of wet crap that needs to dry. Jackets, wetsuits, drysuits, towels, gloves, etc. Not to mention you're going to be wet too. A nice storage room with hard floor & drain to hang everything, ceiling fan, etc. And 1/2 bath next to it with only concrete or tile floor between the 2. That's what I wish I had....

FlatBoard
06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
I would start with this

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/flatboard/CumberlandHouse.jpg

And finish with this. Great storage, front porch for gathering, two baths, sleeps ten.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/flatboard/FrontPorch.jpg

Rockman
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Great ideas from the posts I have read thus far.

Things I would add:

1-Overkill on insulation to keep your energy costs to a minimal for both summer months and winters months.

2-Build a boat house to store all the things you'd waste your time moving from the pier to the garage and back again. Put fridge in boathouse and make sure you have small space to work on any small projects that may come up. Our boathouse has a good stereo system as well.

3-Be wise when landscaping. Make the house look like a million $ but don't spend that much and do not design the landscaping as to where you'll be spending more time getting a tan cutting the grass or picking weeds than actually out on the boat. Don't ask me why I suggested this! :mad:

4-Keep the house simple and functional, but at the same time, do not feel you have to lose any of the special features such as hot tub, finished basement, etc. Don't drain the pocket book on the house so you'll have no money to enjoy the boat, etc.

Just my :twocents:

FlatBoard
06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Amen on the cutting grass part. Less work, more play.

Roonie's
06-15-2009, 04:06 PM
This is what I built.... not practical for everyone because of the upkeep and maintenance of logs but I love it. Also have a 50' x 30' pole barn to store the boat during the winter and whatever else. The pole barn also has one side of it as a finished space with a small kitchen and shower/bath. We used this space as we were building the main cabin and now it is used as overflow for guests. Also we kept everything natural..... no grass etc to mow to reduce maintenance.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/Cabin1.jpg

russlars
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
This is what I built.... not practical for everyone because of the upkeep and maintenance of logs but I love it. Also have a 50' x 30' pole barn to store the boat during the winter and whatever else. The pole barn also has one side of it as a finished space with a small kitchen and shower/bath. We used this space as we were building the main cabin and now it is used as overflow for guests. Also we kept everything natural..... no grass etc to mow to reduce maintenance.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/Cabin1.jpg
Looks nice Roonies. Looks like it must be on the east side of the Cascades. Always loved the look of real logs. Is it waterfront or is there a lake nearby?

peason
06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
The only suggestion which I didn't think I saw was put in an outdoor shower with two heads - one regular and one for your feet. We use ours all the time to clean off before we come in the house. I have the main control inside -set to a warm temp and then only ran one line outside.

Any pictures yet?

TMCNo1
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
The only suggestion which I didn't think I saw was put in an outdoor shower with two heads - one regular and one for your feet. We use ours all the time to clean off before we come in the house. I have the main control inside -set to a warm temp and then only ran one line outside.

Any pictures yet?

You mean this is not a foot washer?:confused::confused::confused:

Roonie's
06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Looks nice Roonies. Looks like it must be on the east side of the Cascades. Always loved the look of real logs. Is it waterfront or is there a lake nearby?

Lake very near...... just off the water. Waterfront too expensive for me $$$$. Priest Lake, ID.

Patrick Hardy
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Lake very near...... just off the water. Waterfront too expensive for me $$$$. Priest Lake, ID.

Nice cabin and Priest Lake is Sweet! Just a little to far from my south Seattle location to go very often.

Roonie's
06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice cabin and Priest Lake is Sweet! Just a little to far from my south Seattle location to go very often.

I live in Seattle. It is just under 6 hours door to door. Yes its far but its all relative.

puck_11
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
What an awesome thread. I kept my boat at this family's cabin that the mom designed. It's a little bit different looking but I like what she did with it. There are 5 glass garage doors that can be opened and closed depending upon the weather and breeze, very resort like.