PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bow Seat Backs

russlars
06-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Can someone please tell me how you remove the seat backs in the bow? I have developed a leak on the starboard side behind the seat back which I am pretty sure is coming from my heater core, and I need to remove this to gain access.

Mag_Red
06-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm guessing they are held on by lock nuts. remove the bottoms and then reach way up, on the inside behind the cushions, You should feel some nuts. Where a long sleeve shirt. That's all I got, except good luck. I'm sure they assemble this before the joint the hull and the deck.

bigmac
06-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Your boat might be different, but on mine, the heater core is located just behind the kick panel at the driver's feet and I dont' think you can get to the heater core from the front. Accessing from the front wouldn't have helped me since the heater core is on the bulkhead and faces the stern - no access to the electrical connections, nor to the hoses, nor to the screws that hold the unit to the bulkhead. I don't even recall seeing the seat back from under there and I'm skeptical that you'd have access.

I accessed that heater core space by removing the cables to the electronic doodads screwed to the kick panel (the MMU and the Perfect Pass module), detaching the heater air duct, and working from under the driver's dash. It's kind of a PITA, but readily do-able. I replaced mine with a new "grey box" from HeaterCraft (they extended the warranty). Some people have just replaced the heater core in that grey box by matching one up from NAPA or other auto dealers, but that appears to be difficult to find.

It wouldn't have been helpful at all for me to remove the bow seat backs, even if it's possible.

russlars
06-11-2009, 11:47 AM
The heater core is only a probable diagnosis. I keep getting a puddle of water under the starboard bow seat but with the seat back in place I can't see where it is coming from. I reached up under there while my friend was driving and could feel warm water dripping out from somewhere and I can see the two black heater hoses coming out of the floor and going up to that area. I know that it was not due to water left in the core and freezing since I drained the heater and blew all of the water out. Plus, it sat in a heated garage all winter. Do these heater cores corrode and start leaking with time?

bigmac
06-11-2009, 12:23 PM
The heater core is only a probable diagnosis. I keep getting a puddle of water under the starboard bow seat but with the seat back in place I can't see where it is coming from. I reached up under there while my friend was driving and could feel warm water dripping out from somewhere and I can see the two black heater hoses coming out of the floor and going up to that area. I know that it was not due to water left in the core and freezing since I drained the heater and blew all of the water out. Plus, it sat in a heated garage all winter. Do these heater cores corrode and start leaking with time?

They sure do!

Leaking heater core is about the only thing that could be leaking that far forward, except maybe the rub rail, but naturally that wouldn't be warm water.

Diagnostically, you could shut the valve to the heater inlet hose. If you have a valve, that is. If you don't, you could maybe clamp both hoses at the engine or disconnect them, see if that cures the leak.

When it happened to me, it was end of season and there was no doubt in my mind that it was a leaking heater core -- warm puddle of water at the driver's feet. Pulled the kick panel, replaced the grey box, reconnected the electrical connection and hoses and no problem since

mdskier
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Not sure if geting the seat backs off will give you any more visibility to the problem though. If I recall correctly, there is basically solid fiberglass behind the seat backs for the most part.

Only solution is to get in under the seats and have a look. Use mirrors or whatever.

russlars
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Next question then is how to get that kick panel out? When I installed my Perfect Pass I took a stab at it and it wouldn't budge. Not looking forward to this job especially since I just finished the install of the PP and zip tied everything and got everything all neat and clean under there.:(

bigmac
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Next question then is how to get that kick panel out? When I installed my Perfect Pass I took a stab at it and it wouldn't budge. Not looking forward to this job especially since I just finished the install of the PP and zip tied everything and got everything all neat and clean under there.:(

I just unplugged PP and the MMU, didn't remove the modules.

On mine, the kick panel was held in by about 4 phillips-head screws. They were hard to see since the heads were buried in the carpet nap. Once all the screws were out, I had to pull the kick panel out by pulling the bottom edge out and angling it out. The process was facilitated A LOT by removing the driver's seat. The grey heater box was screwed to the fiberglass directly behind. The hoses are secured to it by hose clamps, which makes sense, but were also glued to the hose barbs (which didn't). I had no option but to cut the hoses close the the hose barbs.

The new grey box that HeaterCraft sent me was a little different size than the original. The install went fine, though. The new heater cores from HeaterCraft are a lot better than the older ones, I'm told.

New Heatercraft cores from SkiDim (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1020)

jacobe
06-12-2009, 02:21 AM
remove the bottoms and then reach way up, on the inside behind the cushions, You should feel some nuts. Where a long sleeve shirt. That's all I got, except good luck.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's how the girlfriend handles things...

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's how the girlfriend handles things...

ROFL!!! :D

Here's my heater install thread. A little way down you'll see a mod I did to my kick panel to make it easier to remove and install in the future.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17249

rem_pss308
07-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I too need to get the seat backs out of my 1999 X-star. Im haveing the vinyl redone, and ive gotten to some bolts, but I cant get to all of them. Is there some trick. Ive gotten all the peices out except the three in the front.

Can someone please tell me how you remove the seat backs in the bow? I have developed a leak on the starboard side behind the seat back which I am pretty sure is coming from my heater core, and I need to remove this to gain access.

lassy
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Please please someone help us with this!!!

I have to tighten up my cushion and I have no clue how I'm going to be able to reach back there and get to the nut.

rem_pss308
08-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I have figured it out, and gotten them out.

It is complicated. and I cant beleive they did it with the two boat halves together.
One the side pieces. you have to go into the compartment behind the judges seat.( and take the sub woofer out on the drivers side ) and remove the nuts you can reach . (7/16" wrench ) then take the speaker out of the side piece, and get someone with a small long arm to take the next ones out. I have shown with a blue line where they are at. The one with the red line has to be the last one. after all otheres are loose. you can pivot the whole piece up, and use the other hole that is in the fiberglass. to reach the one where the red line is.

The very front piece nuts can be reached after the side pieces are taken out. except the center top nut. you will have to spin the center piece, and drill a 4" hole just under it, so you can reach in with a wrench. It will be covered by the piece when reinstalled.

Hope this makes sense. Ill try and take pictures when re installing everything.

bigmac
08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Never mind.....

russlars
08-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I have figured it out, and gotten them out.

It is complicated. and I cant beleive they did it with the two boat halves together.
One the side pieces. you have to go into the compartment behind the judges seat.( and take the sub woofer out on the drivers side ) and remove the nuts you can reach . (7/16" wrench ) then take the speaker out of the side piece, and get someone with a small long arm to take the next ones out. I have shown with a blue line where they are at. The one with the red line has to be the last one. after all otheres are loose. you can pivot the whole piece up, and use the other hole that is in the fiberglass. to reach the one where the red line is.

The very front piece nuts can be reached after the side pieces are taken out. except the center top nut. you will have to spin the center piece, and drill a 4" hole just under it, so you can reach in with a wrench. It will be covered by the piece when reinstalled.

Hope this makes sense. Ill try and take pictures when re installing everything.
Thanks for the diagram. Will keep for future reference. However, I didn't have to remove mine since the only way I could gain access to change the heater core was through the kick panel. Which by the way is also a pain to remove.