PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable to rudder arm attachment

Davidb
06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I have a 1973 S&S. I took it out Saturday. Everything worked fine, didn't have any problems until I was about 100 yards from the Marina on my way in. I turned the wheel to the left to head in, and it didn't turn. I found that the attachment on the end of the steering arm had disconnected from the rudder arm. (Sorry, if my terminology is wrong, this is my first boat). On the end of the steering arm, there is a male threaded brass piece bolted to it. This piece threads into the female threaded brass piece that is attached to the rudder arm. The female piece is basically what I know as a heim joint. I went to the MC dealer here in Conway. They were super helpful, but didn't have what I needed on the shelf. I looked through the DIM catalog with them, and still couldn't find the pieces. Does anybody know where I could find these pieces? I possibly overlooked them in the DIM catalog, wouldn't surprise me haha! Any help will be much appreciated.

On an unrelated note, they showed me the attachment off of a newer boat to see if it was similar. It was same in function but not in build. But the cool part was that the parts were from Jermain Taylor's boat. He hit something and broke the rudder off flush at the boat and they said it is going to need a ton of fiberglass work. Made me laugh, and kind of interesting

TMCNo1
06-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I have a 1973 S&S. I took it out Saturday. Everything worked fine, didn't have any problems until I was about 100 yards from the Marina on my way in. I turned the wheel to the left to head in, and it didn't turn. I found that the attachment on the end of the steering arm had disconnected from the rudder arm. (Sorry, if my terminology is wrong, this is my first boat). On the end of the steering arm, there is a male threaded brass piece bolted to it. This piece threads into the female threaded brass piece that is attached to the rudder arm. The female piece is basically what I know as a heim joint. I went to the MC dealer here in Conway. They were super helpful, but didn't have what I needed on the shelf. I looked through the DIM catalog with them, and still couldn't find the pieces. Does anybody know where I could find these pieces? I possibly overlooked them in the DIM catalog, wouldn't surprise me haha! Any help will be much appreciated.

On an unrelated note, they showed me the attachment off of a newer boat to see if it was similar. It was same in function but not in build. But the cool part was that the parts were from Jermain Taylor's boat. He hit something and broke the rudder off flush at the boat and they said it is going to need a ton of fiberglass work. Made me laugh, and kind of interesting

Check out part # 40805, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UFLA75, is this it or will it work as a replacement?

Davidb
06-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I did see that, and thought it might work as a replacement. I really wish I had taken some pictures before I put it up. The only problem that I could see with this is that it is supposed to be a heim where it attaches to the rudder. I think I will try and get pictures this weekend, then maybe you guys could better tell if it would work. I'm assuming that the pin in the clevice attaches to the arm and the bolt goes through the rudder attachment?

TMCNo1
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I did see that, and thought it might work as a replacement. I really wish I had taken some pictures before I put it up. The only problem that I could see with this is that it is supposed to be a heim where it attaches to the rudder. I think I will try and get pictures this weekend, then maybe you guys could better tell if it would work. I'm assuming that the pin in the clevice attaches to the arm and the bolt goes through the rudder attachment?
You can always call DIM and ask if this is a direct replacement for what you have/need or can use and get their advise

Davidb
06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Well I talked to DIM, and the clevis was also their suggestion. By the description I provided them, this is the closest to what I need, because they don't have it exactly as I remembered it. I went ahead and ordered it and they said that if I can't make it work, I can send it back within 30 days and they wont even charge restocking. They were very helpful.

Bellinghamster
06-13-2009, 02:28 AM
The bolt goes through the rudder arm. It has a shoulder that bottoms so you can tighten the nut and the rest of it can still swivel freely. The end of the steering cable attaches via the clevis pin.

Davidb
06-13-2009, 03:19 PM
After looking at it, I think the clevis kit should work. Here are the pictures of it.

Here it still on the boat. Ignore the fishing line all tangled around it, I was trying to get it rigged enough to get it on the trailer without it disconnecting again. After about an hour I finally found some electrical tape hiding from me in the truck that did the trick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/davidB382/MasterCraft/Boat001.jpg

Here it is off the boat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/davidB382/MasterCraft/Boat002.jpg

When I pulled it off, I was able to push it most of the way in without threading, and then they caught and I tightened about a full turn to where it is good and tight. I bolted it back up, but I'm going to wait for the clevis to come in this week before I take it out, just to be safe.

Davidb
06-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Update: Clevis kit worked perfectly. Thanks for the help guys!