PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Noise

gomattgo
06-09-2009, 11:21 PM
My X-9 always makes this high pitched turbine whine sound when the RPMs hit 2,500 -3,500. I've read threads that say it is the gear box, and that I might want to try a thicker transmission oil, or replace it with straight 30W oil. Does anyone have any experience with this? The engine has only 55 hours on it, and I've checked the flued levels, and they're all good. When it's hooked up to the fake lake in the driveway and the prop isn't spinning, the engine does not make that noise; so I know it's not the engine. Basically the boat operates great, but the noise is annoying after a while. Any thoughts are appreciated.

-Matt

FrankSchwab
06-09-2009, 11:57 PM
My V-drive had the same turbine whine. I did two things, and its not clear which resolved the issue.
1. I replaced the ATF in the transmission with 15W40. This is a Mastercraft-approved change for some years of V-Drive to resolve a rattling noise at idle, but it may have also helped with the whine. You have a direct-drive, so I don't believe this is recommended.
2. I did a complete driveshaft alignment - not the wimpy alignment noted in your owners manual, but the full alignment described in the attached document whose original author has been lost. I found my engine significantly out of alignment with the strut. The boat was quieter and smoother after doing this.
3. Some have heard a whine that went away with a prop change. Either an imperfection in the prop, or some kind of harmonic in the entire system, would cause an audible vibration at certain RPMs.

Good luck,

/frank

bigmac
06-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Be aware that the Indmar service bulletin about switching from ATF to 15W40 only applies to gear reduction transmissions - 430A, 630A, or 630V. The reason for recommending that lube switch is for a rattling at idle - they make no reference to whine.

Maybe it's coming from your strut bushing, or from your cutlass bearing where the shaft attaches.

JimN
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
My X-9 always makes this high pitched turbine whine sound when the RPMs hit 2,500 -3,500. I've read threads that say it is the gear box, and that I might want to try a thicker transmission oil, or replace it with straight 30W oil. Does anyone have any experience with this? The engine has only 55 hours on it, and I've checked the flued levels, and they're all good. When it's hooked up to the fake lake in the driveway and the prop isn't spinning, the engine does not make that noise; so I know it's not the engine. Basically the boat operates great, but the noise is annoying after a while. Any thoughts are appreciated.

-Matt

If you put it in gear on the driveway, the strut bushings and packing aren't lubricated, the heat generated glazes the packing and deforms the plastic in the strut bushings. It doesn't take long for this to happen, either.

Is it more of a whistle than a whine? Post a photo of the flame arrestor.

gomattgo
06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd post the picture, but this website is far from user friendly. It asks for a web address for the picture, and won't let me simply download the shot. Anyway it is a connical shaped K/M Filter.

TMCNo1
06-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I'd post the picture, but this website is far from user friendly. It asks for a web address for the picture, and won't let me simply download the shot. Anyway it is a connical shaped K/M Filter.

Click Post Reply or Go Advanced boxes only to upload pictures in a post and in the options box over the posting box, you will see a paperclip next to a white smiley face, click on the paperclip, click on Manage Attachments in the little window that will pop up and you will get a browse window to upload to, you can upload up to 5 pictures per post, it will list the uploads in the lower portion of the window as you upload each picture, X off the attachment window, click on the paperclip again, click Insert All and the attachment # will show up in your post, when finished, click on Submit Reply.

Craig
06-10-2009, 10:46 PM

When you post, scroll down to the "Additional Options", the second option is "Attach Files". You can use this to attach your pictures straight from your PC.

bigmac
06-10-2009, 11:33 PM

It's vBulletin software. Pretty standard stuff. Lots of instructions on this site and on the web as to how to either link an image, or upload and attach it.

gomattgo
06-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Here is the pic of the Flame Arrestor.

JimN
06-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Here is the pic of the Flame Arrestor.

That whining sound isn't coming from the area of the arrestor, is it? It was a problem with the early LTR motors and was caused by high air speed and turbulence.

gomattgo
06-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure. We're taking the boat out this weekend, and I'm removing the Flame Arrestor for a few minutes to see if that makes a difference. I'm hoping this is the problem; realigning the engine/prop shaft sounds like a pain in the butt. If it is the Flame Arrestor, does anyone have an alternative Flame Arrestor that would work on an X-9 LTR engine?

JimN
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure. We're taking the boat out this weekend, and I'm removing the Flame Arrestor for a few minutes to see if that makes a difference. I'm hoping this is the problem; realigning the engine/prop shaft sounds like a pain in the butt. If it is the Flame Arrestor, does anyone have an alternative Flame Arrestor that would work on an X-9 LTR engine?

That looks like it needs to be oiled.

bigmac
06-12-2009, 12:07 AM
If the whistling you have is from the intake, it's more likely to be related to the design of the intake itself rather than the air filter/flame arrestor, but if the flame arrestor is dirty, that can cause the problem, or at least make it worse.

I agree with JimN. First thing I'd do is clean and re-oil it. Any auto store will have the K&N kits for recharging a filter like that.

http://www.knfilters.com/images/m/99-5000.jpg

99xstar
06-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Have that annoying whine/whistle at 2500-3000 RPM in my 1999 LTR. I have resolved it to be the flame arrestor area with no solution to get rid of it. Crank the stereo!

gomattgo
06-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the great feedback, I'll try that first!

gomattgo
06-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Well I cleaned and oiled the flame arrestor, and it still makes that irritating turbo whine sound. I'm wondering if the prop shaft is out of alignment, or something like that...

JimN
06-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Well I cleaned and oiled the flame arrestor, and it still makes that irritating turbo whine sound. I'm wondering if the prop shaft is out of alignment, or something like that...

Do you have a way to record it and post it to You Tube?

kkkeating
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
With the transmission in neutral and the engine RPMs at 2500 to 3000 is the noise still there? If so, that would eliminate the prop shaft alignment possibility.

TMCNo1
06-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I bet it's the sound of the economy going down the drain!:rolleyes:

D3skier
06-17-2009, 10:03 PM
I have an irritating noise too... but typically mine is coming from the passenger seat or the family room... oh wait... that's the wife whining about the boat again... never mind the boat's fine..

gomattgo
06-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes, with the boat in neutral and the prop shaft not spinning it will NOT make that noise. It's only when we're in the water and the rpm's hit 2,500-3,500. That's why I think it's the prop shaft, or the motor is out of alignment. I hope it's not the motor since it only has 60 hours on it.

ORX-1
05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Saw this thread while looking for some answers, I think my shaft is out of alignment after the wife hit something last year. I get this same noise at 2000 rpm's. My question is am I doing any damage by not doing an alignment? I may also try a smaller prop to see if it goes away.

TMCNo1
05-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Saw this thread while looking for some answers, I think my shaft is out of alignment after the wife hit something last year. I get this same noise at 2000 rpm's. My question is am I doing any damage by not doing an alignment? I may also try a smaller prop to see if it goes away.

If your boat struck something underwater and you now have a irritating noise, you could have a bent rudder, prop, strut, shaft or a combination of any of the above, resulting in worn strut bushings, broken shaft, broken rudder, just to name a few things. Have it professionally diagnosed and repair or have it repaired soon before you do damage.

JimN
05-03-2010, 04:56 PM

It may be your mother in-law. :D

A smaller prop will keep you from accelerating as well as normal and you could hit the rev limiter a lot more easily. The bearings where the shaft pass through the strut will be damaged and you could actually lose the shaft if there's stress at the right point. Your insurance should cover it- why not avoid more damage in the near future. It can also stress the bearing and seal at the rear f the transmission.

ORX-1
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I should clear up what I mean, the wife hit something last year but at no more than idel speed. The prop was bent but not bad enough to damage the bottom of the boat or anything. The shaft appears to be straight ( to the eye) and the rudder isn't digned up at all. My thought is that it is maybe bent just a hair causing the noise. Also this is kind of weird... the noise went away with the last prop I had on, but I just put the bigger one on and it's back. so not sure if that has anything to do with it, I may swap it out and see.

TMCNo1
05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I should clear up what I mean, the wife hit something last year but at no more than idel speed. The prop was bent but not bad enough to damage the bottom of the boat or anything. The shaft appears to be straight ( to the eye) and the rudder isn't digned up at all. My thought is that it is maybe bent just a hair causing the noise. Also this is kind of weird... the noise went away with the last prop I had on, but I just put the bigger one on and it's back. so not sure if that has anything to do with it, I may swap it out and see.

If it went away with another prop, then the prop was probably damaged enough in one way or another to create the noise, send it here for a check-up and any necessary refurb, http://www.ojprops.com/services

ORX-1
05-03-2010, 06:59 PM
I see what you're saying and makes total sense. But I just put a new prop on and the noise came back, I wonder if the prop wasn't repaired 100%?

TMCNo1
05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I see what you're saying and makes total sense. But I just put a new prop on and the noise came back, I wonder if the prop wasn't repaired 100%?

OK, back to post #23 and #24

drylandfish
05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Could the tracking fins be singing a tune at that rpm range?

Jesus_Freak
05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
That whining sound isn't coming from the area of the arrestor, is it? It was a problem with the early LTR motors and was caused by high air speed and turbulence.

Only under a limited set of conditions would turbulence cause the sound.

If the whistling you have is from the intake, it's more likely to be related to the design of the intake itself rather than the air filter/flame arrestor, but if the flame arrestor is dirty, that can cause the problem, or at least make it worse.

While it seems the original post is no longer being followed, this concept caught my interest. If the sound were coming from the intake area, it may help to distinguish between a whistle and a whine. While they are not completely different, they imply a difference in pitch. Higher pitch comes from a smaller resonating volume. For either to be caused by the air intake, pressure fluctuations have to be tuning-up to an audible level. For the whistle, one might be hearing the air breaking the sound barrier across the throttle body or dirty filter. A whine would more likely be related to the tuning of the intake manifold.

Would be interested to hear what the OP learned...

deereman
05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Now this might be a totally different story because of the difference in the years of the boat, but that noise in that RPM range is the exact same thing our 87 did right before the transmission went out. Probably not very helpful, but just a thought.

ORX-1
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm going to put my stock prop back on this week and see what happens. I will let you know if that makes a difference. I don't think so but who knows. What is werid is last year I hit a soft rope that someone left at the dock. It bent my prop a little, and there was no noise after that. The noise just came back after I got the prop fixed and put it on. maybe I should just go hit something!

ksdaoski
07-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Any solution to this issue?

Just looked at an 01 X-star and it had a pretty severe whine, also in the 2000 RPM range. I could replicate the sound every time when putting it into gear. However would not make the noise when the transmission was in neutral. And it did not sound like it was coming from the air filter at all- Because of only happening while in gear, I surmised there was probably something wrong with the transmission, and passed on the boat- Good call?