PDA

View Full Version : Rub rail install help

DLewis
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Installing a new rub rail on a 95 maristar. It's the rigid type that will have a SS insert. I used a heat gun on the piece that wraps around the nose (worked great), but the rear corners are not cooperating. Anyone have any experience with this? Heat lamp or boiling water ?

Thanks.

tph
05-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Installing a new rub rail on a 95 maristar. It's the rigid type that will have a SS insert. I used a heat gun on the piece that wraps around the nose (worked great), but the rear corners are not cooperating. Anyone have any experience with this? Heat lamp or boiling water ?

Thanks.

I used a heat gun on mine and it worked fine. Actually, the nose of the boat was harder that the rear corners for me. How are the rear corners not cooperating?

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Everything I've heard about installing these things suggest that it is much easier to do as a two-person job. If you want to post a step-by-step of the process, it would probably be really handy for others when it's their turn. Good luck.

DLewis
05-24-2005, 04:16 PM
I started with the nose of the boat and worked toward the back. The nose was fairly easy. The problem with the rear corners is that I managed to get a flat spot on the apex of the corner. I was using a heat gun, and the railing was hot to the touch - by the time I got to the rear corner, it was late in the day and it started to get cold so maybe window of time that it was pliable was to small(?)

iokua
05-25-2005, 01:20 AM
I had "flat spots" on mine too after it was screwed in place. I just used the heat gun and the shaft of a screwdriver to reshape the rail at the corners. The rigid vinyl gets pretty maleable when it's hot. It did take a while to heat the rail up enough to that point, then you'll have to go back and forth over it as it cools to keep the desired shape.

jsonova99
05-25-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm curious where you guys bought your rub rails from and roughly how much they cost for a PS190

DLewis
05-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks Iokua, I was considering the screwdriver concept...might give it a try.

jsonaova99 - www.tacomarine.com, they have just about everything you need. Also, www.mymastercraft.com has a kit I think.