PDA

View Full Version : My better half wants an iPod....

captain planet
06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
....and I don't know the first thing about these things....other than they hold a gazillion songs. I know the more memory the better (I know a little), but is there one that is better than the others? I don't need the best or most expensive. I only have 450 CD's of which only 200 or so would be put on the thing.

I am getting a new stereo for the boat that has an iPod input so it will get used there and maybe a little on the house stereo. Other than that I don't know where she will use it. The suburban doesn't have a jack for it and neither does my car.

Anyway, I'm off to learn about these things but I figured I would check my first and most trusted source for quality information....MC TT!!!! ;)

Thanks fellas.

trickskier
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
....and I don't know the first thing about these things....other than they hold a gazillion songs. I know the more memory the better (I know a little), but is there one that is better than the others? I don't need the best or most expensive. I only have 450 CD's of which only 200 or so would be put on the thing.

I am getting a new stereo for the boat that has an iPod input so it will get used there and maybe a little on the house stereo. Other than that I don't know where she will use it. The suburban doesn't have a jack for it and neither does my car.

Anyway, I'm off to learn about these things but I figured I would check my first and most trusted source for quality information....MC TT!!!! ;)

Thanks fellas.

They're a lot cheaper than a new Suburban....................;)

shepherd
06-09-2009, 01:28 PM
FWIW, I'm on my second Nano and it's served me well (lost the first one -- one disadvantage of being so freakin' small). I don't feel the need to load my iPod up with my entire CD collection (300+ songs is enough for me) or watch movies/videos on a 1" screen. But if your wife wants that capability, you should look at something bigger.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
My wife just asked for one too, for her new car that she just asked for:( Let me know what you decide on, I am in the dark on these as well.

RexDog1
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I Like My

IPod Touch

16GB* internal flash memory stores up to 3,500 songs, up to 20,000 digital photos (iPod nano-viewable photos transferred from iTunes), or up to 20 hours of video

bcampbe7
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a 8Gb Nano that stays in the Yukon. Works well and with my head unit I can pipe video to the rear headrest screens for the kids.

JimN
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks fellas.

If you use iTunes on your computer and you have wireless at home, you can control iTunes with the Touch. If you run a cable from the computer to your stereo, you can have all of those songs playing throughout your house, garage, yard, basement, etc. As long as you're within range, the Touch will control it.

FWIW, Apple just announced price drops and new models, so you may be able to get it for less. The 8GB had been selling for about $220 and the 16GB was about $299, IIRC.

captain planet
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Playing videos and looking at pictures is probably unnecessary. I was looking at them a little to get a feel for them and I figure 8 to 16 GB should be enough memory. Anybody know how many songs will fit on an 8 or 16?

bcampbe7
06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey Jim, did they drop the price on the iPod or just the iPhone. I did see where the 8Gb iPhone will drop to $99 when the new iPhone 3GS comes out later this month.

coz
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
A gazillion songs and no more messing with cd's in the boat/car is why I like them :D

bcampbe7
06-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Playing videos and looking at pictures is probably unnecessary. I was looking at them a little to get a feel for them and I figure 8 to 16 GB should be enough memory. Anybody know how many songs will fit on an 8 or 16?

http://www.apple.com/ipod/whichipod/

bcampbe7
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
You (she) may want to look at a Shuffle if she will be using it while working out.

stuartmcnair
06-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Touch - they rock

JimN
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
A gazillion songs and no more messing with cd's in the boat/car is why I like them :D

How many songs depends on bit rate, though.

shepherd
06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
If you run a cable from the computer to your stereo, you can have all of those songs playing throughout your house, garage, yard, basement, etc.

I did that. I rarely play my CDs anymore. It's very convenient to be able to access all your music from one location, create playlists/party mixes, etc. and play them over my home stereo.

corey
06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Had the same issue around X-mas time. I ended up getting my wife the 16gb Nano, in retrospect I am really glad I went with the 16 gig vs the 8. At first you feel like you'll never fill the thing but all of a sudden you get close, its nice not having to delete something to add another.

Monte
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
This sounds kind of of fimiliar. About two years ago my wife wanted a curio cabinet. I thought she said wakeboard. I bought her the wakeboard, she was not happy.

captain planet
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
This sounds kind of of fimiliar. About two years ago my wife wanted a curio cabinet. I thought she said wakeboard. I bought her the wakeboard, she was not happy.

This response plus your avatar made me laugh out loud. Thanks. 8p

bigmac
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
If she's not interested in video (DVD's, iTunes download of TV shows or movie purchases/rentals, and if she has no need/interest in any of the 10,000's of apps available (IOW, if she wants music only) then simpler is better and the iPod Nano is plenty. I've had an iPod Touch for a couple of years and I thinks it's a brilliant piece of technology, but no point spending the money if it doesn't have anything she's interested

The 8 gig model will hold about 2000 songs, the 16 gig...well...4000 songs at standard iTunes bit rates. Get the 16 gig model if there's even a chance she may want to keep photos and/or videos on it.

captain planet
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks bigmac/everyone. That's kind of what I was thinking is the 16 gig. I have to do some fishing to find out if she wants video/pictures, but I kind of doubt it.

WTRSK1R
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
If you use iTunes on your computer and you have wireless at home, you can control iTunes with the Touch. If you run a cable from the computer to your stereo, you can have all of those songs playing throughout your house, garage, yard, basement, etc. As long as you're within range, the Touch will control it.

What I love most about this site is that I learn something almost every time I am here. :guitar:

I have a touch that I have had since Christmas and I love it, but I was not aware that I could use it to control iTunes on the computer. Is this something obvious that I have been missing, or do I need to put an App on it to make this work?

Steve

captain planet
06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Just spoke with the Mrs. No pictures, just music. I was incognito so she will never suspect a thing, besides she brought it up. So I'll probably get either a 16 gig or 32 gig depending on the price.

Now to find the best deal??? :confused:

Monte
06-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Google shopping has always come up golden for me.

SkiDog
06-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I would like to buy an Itouch, but I've got an 8g ZUNE that I need to sell.

Ben
06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
For the touch to run iTunes you need an app called Remote. I'm not sure beyond that, but know bro in law does it.

My wife has a touch and really only uses it for music. The original intention was to use for pictures too, but she seems to be to busy or it's not high enough on the priority list. Other advantages to the touch are it has games, and if you have wifi at home or when traveling, it can search the internet, check weather, stocks, and e-mail (you can set up yahoo, hotmail, etc accounts. I was even able to set it up for my microsoft exchange work account, like an iPhone would be, but you need to be within wifi range.. pretty cool). So it is also a very quick e-mail checker for her at home. Plus, I take it when I go on >3 hour flights to play games on a bigger screen. If any of this sounds appealing, I'd go with the touch. If not, I'd go with the nano as previously mentioned for exclusively music.

dtc
06-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey Captain Planet ... trying to pay it forward a bit.

My family (Sister, Mom, and I) was able to score iPod's at anywhere from 15%-33% off full retail, by asking at the apple store if they had any floor models available at a discount.

Mine was 33% off and is the 8G Nano in Black in perfect condition (no scratches etc). I promptly purchased a hard case for it and have been thrilled with my purchase.

Good Luck

Ben
06-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey Captain Planet ... trying to pay it forward a bit.

My family (Sister, Mom, and I) was able to score iPod's at anywhere from 15%-33% off full retail, by asking at the apple store if they had any floor models available at a discount.

Mine was 33% off and is the 8G Nano in Black in perfect condition (no scratches etc). I promptly purchased a hard case for it and have been thrilled with my purchase.

Good Luck

Another similar tip - go to the apple store (online), they have refurbs on there your can buy for a % off and come w/some warranty (I forget how much). Check it daily when you figure out what model you want, as the offering will change some over the course of a week. I got a 2GB shuffle for like $29 or $39 a few months ago & it is great for running.

captain planet
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow, thanks for the advice. I hopped onto Ebay yesterday just to get a feel for them and there were like 2700 pages of iPods and related accessories. I would hope I would be able to find a deal on what I want once I figure out what that is. Whomever mentioned the Apple store I will check that out as well, thanks.

MIMC
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
CP -

I would investigate when she really plans on using the iPOD. If mainly working out, working in the yard, I would suggest a flash drive over a hard drive. Flash drives are smaller, handle plenty of songs for working out, and can take a little more abuse. I have two; I have an iRiver 1GB with arm band when working out, holds about 185 songs, I've had it for 4 years now and love it! I even looked on eBay to find a used one for a spare. I also have the new Sony 8GB to use on the boat, car, and working out. I can load any MP3 file and don't have to use itunes. If she really wants the Apple iPod name then the Nano would be my suggestion.

MIMC

PS - Do I even dear to ask how the Burban is?

bigmac
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
CP -

I would investigate when she really plans on using the iPOD. If mainly working out, working in the yard, I would suggest a flash drive over a hard drive.

The 120 gig iPod Classic is the only iPod that uses a hard drive. All the rest are flash.

Sodar
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
The 120 gig iPod Classic is the only iPod that uses a hard drive. All the rest are flash.

Yup. Still carry a Classic in the car with every song I own as well as all my photos. The 120gig is very nice.

I use my iPhone as my daily music device. Just like having to only carry one device.

Just bought my first ever shuffle last night. The old style 1 gig shuffles are only $49.99 on apple.com. It will be so nice for working out... can't wait to stop running with the iPhone in my shoulder case. My left arm always felt a few inches longer after a good run! :D

2RLAKE
06-10-2009, 05:54 PM
i bought my wife an iTouch for her birthday this winter, think it was the 64G one. It worked great right up until i was doing some power turns on memorial day and it go wet .... soaked would be a better description.

Got to love Costco ... they replaced it for me

captain planet
06-11-2009, 09:02 AM
CP -

MIMC

PS - Do I even dear to ask how the Burban is?

I haven't gotten around to replacing that o-ring on the anti lock sensor yet. I'm hoping it is OK until I can get to it. I'm not going to ruin anything am I?

As for the iPod question, I appreciate all the feedback fellas. I am going to start shopping next week for this thing and all this information is really great.

I had thought about an MP3 player as well, and that brings up a question. Do you have to have Apple software to operate an iPod? We have a PC, so I am assuming I will have to get software to put music on the iPod, correct? Another dumb question, you can run an iPod off of a PC, right?

Will an MP3 player run like a flash drive where I won't need any special software since it already accepts MP3 files? I guess I'm a little behind on the technical knowledge. I know how to post on here and that is good enough for me. :D

Sodar
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
iTunes for PC will work with any and all digital music players for transfering music. The download is free and probably the easiest to use.

If you get an Mp3 player, you can drag and drop songs, but sometimes finding songs with file names can be a bit cumbersome. That is where programs like iTunes do a good job of organizing it and making it easy to search.

Jet
06-11-2009, 01:32 PM
My 2 cents,

I have tried Sony MP3 and others, but the IPOD is the best. My daughters have two, my wife has one and I just got the IPOD touch 16G. Works great, easy to use, Itunes easy to download and use.

Best choice in my mind and the Itouch has great video too to watch videos or even movies.

Can't go wrong with the Touch.

Double D
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I reccomend a 16 Gig Itouch. You can get it for under $300 and beyond all the songs you can get on it, the free and low cost applications are in abbundance and it allows emailing, internet, weather, stocks, etc, etc, etc.

bcampbe7
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
After reading this thread, I want an iTouch!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
After reading this thread, I want an iTouch!
Me too.....

captain planet
06-19-2009, 12:11 AM
I let the cat out of the bag that I was getting her an iPod tonight. I went shopping and learned a little more about them today. I looked at all the iPods and then asked her what she wants. Looks like I'll be getting an orange (or green) Nano 16GB for her. If it works out that she wants a Touch at a leter date, I'll keep the nano for myself.

bigmac
06-19-2009, 06:56 AM
I let the cat out of the bag that I was getting her an iPod tonight. I went shopping and learned a little more about them today. I looked at all the iPods and then asked her what she wants. Looks like I'll be getting an orange (or green) Nano 16GB for her. If it works out that she wants a Touch at a leter date, I'll keep the nano for myself.The rumors about the upcoming 3rd generation iPod Touch make it appear to be a very interesting device and likely worth waiting for. In the meantime, your plan above is familiar to most of us iPod users, who likely have more than one sitting around the house.

2RLAKE
06-19-2009, 07:01 AM
if you buy them on line you can also get them engraved .... i bought a shuffle for someone and had MasterCraft engraved on the back

PT 1999 ProStar
06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
I just got my iPOD TOUCH last week! It is great! Super easy to use and down load songs from iTunes and CD's. I burnt CD's for my wife of the songs I have on my Ipod as well. So she's happy.... Only question is - what do I need to hook it up to my boats system? Any help would be great!

Roonie's
06-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I have the itouch since before x-mas and now I use it primarily for everything. We have Wifi in the house so it gets email and everything else I use through apps. I rarely check the computer enymore and just use my iTouch instead.

On the boat I have an mp3 plug in or accessory plug in and I plug it into that. I tried using it with a Schoche controller the other weekend however and it wouldn't work for some reason. I don't know why? The schoche controller works great with headphones but didn't work when I plugged it into the boat system? The iTouch works great with a straight connection..... I was looking for hands free.

captain planet
12-03-2009, 01:13 PM
OK, so my wife uses her iPod all the time, however she can't listen to it in our 2000 Suburban. I'm looking into the FM transmitters for the iPod. There are ones that are powered by batteries, powered by cigarette lighter (not a fan of these), and ones that are powered by the iPod. The ones that are powered by the iPod, how quickly does this kill the battery in the iPod before it needs recharged?

thanks

Sodar
12-03-2009, 01:17 PM
OK, so my wife uses her iPod all the time, however she can't listen to it in our 2000 Suburban. I'm looking into the FM transmitters for the iPod. There are ones that are powered by batteries, powered by cigarette lighter (not a fan of these), and ones that are powered by the iPod. The ones that are powered by the iPod, how quickly does this kill the battery in the iPod before it needs recharged?

thanks

Go with an actual iPod interface. I had this one in my '04 Tahoe. Worked awesome and gives control to the stereo and steering wheel controls (If equipped).

http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=25

bcampbe7
12-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Go with an actual iPod interface. I had this one in my '04 Tahoe. Worked awesome and gives control to the stereo and steering wheel controls (If equipped).

http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=25

What she said...

The integrated iPod interface is the way to go. Crystal clear and no interference.

FM modulators work about 50% of the time. Difficult to find a radio station that will not cause interference.

Sodar
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
What she said...

The integrated iPod interface is the way to go. Crystal clear and no interference.

FM modulators work about 50% of the time. Difficult to find a radio station that will not cause interference.

Love you too, Sweetheart! :rolleyes:

flipper
12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
What a cute couple they are

captain planet
12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Do you mind asking what you paid for this?

Sodar
12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I paid $115 for my Tahoe unit.

Just bought one for my new 'yota and paid $139.

captain planet
12-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I just got a quote from the local USA SPEC dealer....$199. $250 installed. Little steep. I'll check e-bay.

bcampbe7
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I just got a quote from the local USA SPEC dealer....$199. $250 installed. Little steep. I'll check e-bay.

Check into doing the install yourself. I can't remember the year of your Burb, but on my 2004 Yukon the radio is very easy to remove.

Ben
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
When you say "gives contol to the stereo", what do you mean? I put a $120 sony cd player in my car that controls the ipod and charges it, but you can no longer control from the ipod. This sucks on the itouch, as it is a slow connection to skip forward through things. For example, to get to an artist that starts with "L", you have to go thru all the letters prior one click at a time, a slow process, as the ipod and sony have to talk back and forth. I end up using the headphone jack when I use anything at all, unless the ipod needs charged.

However, in her van we got an adapter online (I think it was enfig.com) that plugs into the factory stereo and simulates a CD changer. This also charges. We listen to CD#1, track99 all day long.... I like this 1000 times better, as we can still control w/the iTouch. Was like $60 or $70 I think.

Sodar
12-03-2009, 01:54 PM
The unit does NOT block function of the iPod on the iPod. On the older model OEM stereos, the only control you have is skip, reverse, FF, Rewind.