PDA

View Full Version : Exaust Elbows anyone

CameronCarey
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Its been a while since Ive had the fee time to work on the boat but i'm back full force, I now have the entire floor out of the boat and am working on relocating the battery among other things. Maybe polyester/glass dust has gone to my head but i had an idea!

Has anyone used 45 exhaust elbows to improve the angle the exhaust tubing exits the floor? on my S&S the previous owner had a seemingly large hole cut out to accommodate the gentle curve which ran from the risers back to the mufflers (which are going away).

There is probably some small HP advantage to the gentle curve but its just aesthetically awkward.

Ive seen a few commercially available elbows that were fiberglass or cast iron.

Thoughts?

panshovel68
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I have a set I am not using if you want them PM me and I will send you a pic. They are fiberglass

Bellinghamster
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I would have/should have used 45 elbows if I could have got them in time for reassembly. I went with wire reinforced exhaust hose and it was a real bugger to install. I wanted to keep the cutouts as small as possible and the angle off the back of the riser together with the bend through the floor seemed to work against each other. That said, now it's all done, I don't mind not worrying about extra joints failing/leaking or robbing power.

Whitfield
06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Where can I find fiberglass elbows?

My engine is out (good time to rework the exhaust)

My current exhaust is a conglometation of cast elbows and short sections of rubber wirereinforced. It looks like a kindergarden craft project.

TMCNo1
06-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I would have/should have used 45 elbows if I could have got them in time for reassembly. I went with wire reinforced exhaust hose and it was a real bugger to install. I wanted to keep the cutouts as small as possible and the angle off the back of the riser together with the bend through the floor seemed to work against each other. That said, now it's all done, I don't mind not worrying about extra joints failing/leaking or robbing power.

I've seen that blue carpet before! We got it from Lowe's and placed it on our patio under our deck 8 years ago and there are no signs of wear, discoloration, delamination or anything, great stuff, you made a good choice. As you can see it gets wet occasionally especially around the outside edges.

CameronCarey
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Belling hamster Looking at that picture reminds me that we had a deal worked on those gauges, PM me and we can figure out how the heck i can ship them to you

panshovel68
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I have two of these if you want them

deereman
06-10-2009, 02:07 AM
check out all these--theres probably one you want in here. Exhaust Accessories (http://www.greatlakesskipper.com/products.cfm?CatID=SS668)

CameronCarey
06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Thats exactly what i need! i can re-glaze them to make sure there structurally sound

JimN
06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Its been a while since Ive had the fee time to work on the boat but i'm back full force, I now have the entire floor out of the boat and am working on relocating the battery among other things. Maybe polyester/glass dust has gone to my head but i had an idea!

Has anyone used 45 exhaust elbows to improve the angle the exhaust tubing exits the floor? on my S&S the previous owner had a seemingly large hole cut out to accommodate the gentle curve which ran from the risers back to the mufflers (which are going away).

There is probably some small HP advantage to the gentle curve but its just aesthetically awkward.

Ive seen a few commercially available elbows that were fiberglass or cast iron.

Thoughts?

I don't know how much farther the battery will be from the starter but I would increase the gauge if the cable will be any longer than it was. A welding supply store will probably have the lowest price.

CameronCarey
06-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I don't know how much farther the battery will be from the starter but I would increase the gauge if the cable will be any longer than it was. A welding supply store will probably have the lowest price.

The battery cable runs are actually shorter by about 18"

The reason for that is that the starter solenoid is on the back of the bell housing of the engine.

! I have not yet decided if i want to shorten the cables though................i probably will, because Thats just the kind of detail that bugs me...