PDA

View Full Version : V-drive No Oil - How bad???

rspiecha
06-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I have a friend that just had the break-in period service done on the transmission and engine, and they forgot to put the oil back into the transmission. He idled it for about 15 minutes, then ran it for about 5 minutes on plane before he realized something was wrong. Strange noise coming from back of boat.

Thanks

Rob

TMCNo1
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I have a friend that just had the break-in period service done on the transmission and engine, and they forgot to put the oil back into the transmission. He idled it for about 15 minutes, then ran it for about 5 minutes on plane before he realized something was wrong. Strange noise coming from back of boat.

Thanks

Rob

Looks like your friend has a visit in order to the dealer who performed the work to get the transmission looked at and the problem rectified on their dime.

bigmac
06-08-2009, 11:22 AM
On a brand-new boat, I'd be wanting either a brand-new transmission or a lifetime warranty on the existing one.

rspiecha
06-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree, otherwise you will always be thinking in the back of your head about when its going to go out.

Thanks

Rob

coz
06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
This is a MC dealer?

flipper
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm with bigmac, don't settle for them "fixing" the existing tranny. Make the dealer buy a new one.

towpilot
06-08-2009, 02:35 PM
get new tranny. always check them fluids never trust anybody!

GuitsBoy
06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Wow, thats some negligence! Was it a reputable dealer? They should make good on it!

bigmac
06-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Wow, thats some negligence! Was it a reputable dealer? They should make good on it!

Mistakes happen, even at the best of dealers. Their true character is more defined by how they make good on a screw-up, rather than the screw-up itself.

rspiecha
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
UPDATE- Dealer claims transmission was low, but not empty. On this v-drive, there are two dipsticks. Only was low, the other was normal. Dealer claims remaining fluid looked normal and not burnt. They flushed it twice and ran on lake without any noise or issues.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Rob

TMCNo1
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
UPDATE- Dealer claims transmission was low, but not empty. On this v-drive, there are two dipsticks. Only was low, the other was normal. Dealer claims remaining fluid looked normal and not burnt. They flushed it twice and ran on lake without any noise or issues.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Rob

Just keep a record of the events, times, days and hopefully a copy of the service order, just in case of future problems, you gotta protect yourself!