PDA

View Full Version : Holley 4160 question

GuitsBoy
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
So over the winter I picked up a used 4160 for the prostar 205, and I finally got around to rebuilding it over the weekend. The list number is 50419-1, and according to the spec sheet, there is no float setting listed for this carb. The toe of the float seems to have been about 3/32 or so with the new needles and seats, exactly where they were before the rebuild. Does this seem right? Or should I have adjusted the floats to be parallel? I installed the carb, bent up a 3/8 fuel line and started her up with some success, however I am still experiencing some off idle stumble and some hunting upon returning to idle.

CantRepeat
06-08-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a default setting of parallel. It will surely shut the flow of gas off before you flood it out by overflowing it.

The off idle stumble might be the accelerator pump arm ajustment. I'm not sure of the gap that goes in there but there should be a gauge number for it on the spec sheet in the carb kit. Also check the idle air screw adjustment.

GuitsBoy
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, the floats were certainly not parallel. The floats did not look like they were bent at all, so I dont really believe they would have been parallel from the factory. The boat was on the trailer, so perhaps itll sit at a different angle in the water. That might play into how she runs. Anyway, Ill try the other stuff first before tearing back into it. Do they sell the fuel bowl gaskets separately so I dont have to buy a whole new kit?

I will check into the accelerator pump. Thats a good call. Theres a cam position, but I dont know the spec as far as gap.

Idle air screw was set for 800 flat at operating temp, and I had some luck adjusting the idle mixture. Seemed to run best a little rich, around 2.5 turns out.

Thanks for the help! This is my first time ever touching a carb, although I do a bit of EFI tuning from time to time.