PDA

View Full Version : Throttle tension

kgrove
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Is there an easy adjustment for the tension or resistance on the throttle lever? Mine is loose enough that sometimes when I hit a swell, the nose bucking upwards is enough to throw the throttle down. Usually I have my hand on the throttle, but if I'm flipping a switch, adjusting the mirror, etc. its a little shock to the system to suddenly have the boat thrown into full throttle.

Abe
06-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Which Control do you have. If you have this one "Morse MV2 Control" it has a built in friction control to prevent speed creep, You could check through this site on that thread as you might be able to adjust your lever tension.

I have the opposite problem, Ive just had a new throttle cable and new Morse MV2 control fitted, now when my wife is driving and she needs to take her hand off the throttle lever, say to grab a drink or she hits a big wake and need two hands on the steering wheel then the lever will spring back to idle, Its so annoying when your behind the boat and not expecting it. I phoned around a few dealers to see if the tension on the MV2 could be adjusted, and it seems not . The only way round it I was told was to loosen the spring on the throttle at the side of the carb, Not going to do that, will see how it goes for the rest of the season and may get pp next year. :confused:

kgrove
06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Which Control do you have.

It's an '08 X-15, so whatever you call that kind of throttle. Definitely looks different than yours.

rhsprostar
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Abe
I had almost the same problem as you with my 96 205 with that control. I did a search and found the same answers as you except for one which seemed a little odd but really worked. You put a small clamp on the throttle cable coming out of the control(front) You slowly tighten it until there is some pressure being put on the cable by the sleeve. I was skeptical, but it really did work! You just keep tightening slowly until the issue is gone. I believe that you can actually buy a clamp made for that purpose from skidim. It's about $15.

www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOR044386

Of course youcan use the new mastercraft promo code to save 10%!!!;)

I actually used a regular old cable clamp from The Depot and it did the same thing.
Not sure if it good for the newer controls as they are drive by wire.....

flipper
06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Abe
I had almost the same problem as you with my 96 205 with that control. I did a search and found the same answers as you except for one which seemed a little odd but really worked. You put a small clamp on the throttle cable coming out of the control(front) You slowly tighten it until there is some pressure being put on the cable by the sleeve. I was skeptical, but it really did work! You just keep tightening slowly until the issue is gone. I believe that you can actually buy a clamp made for that purpose from skidim. It's about $15.

I actually used a regular old cable clamp from The Depot and it did the same thing.

I have the same problem. Good thinkin' Thanks

Ski-me
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Same here on my 94', too!

I used a u-clamp and tightened until the throttle no longer kept slipping. It was really annoying before:mad:.

As an FYI, PerfectPass will not fix this problem. The throttle kept slipping past the servo limits and then the throttle just went back down to idle. After installing this highly technical u-clamp, things are much better....:rolleyes:

Abe
06-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Abe

Cheers for that info there, I,m going to order that Clamp right now from skidim.

Back to the first post from "Kgrove, I,m pretty certain you will be able to adjust yours, I seen a pic on here someone posted a few weeks past showing where the adjust screw was, Check all threads on this topic and you will find it. :)

rhsprostar
06-10-2009, 03:02 PM
No worries, glad to help.

TMCNo1
06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
It's an '08 X-15, so whatever you call that kind of throttle. Definitely looks different than yours.

I would think a '08 is Drive by Wire and a cable clamp on a electrical wiring may be exciting and expensive to say the least. Have you asked your dealer or a dealer about how they or how MC would recommend keeping the throttle from going WOT during a jolt?

lanep82
05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
BUMP to this thread.

Are there any X-15 owners out there that have had the problem of the throttle going down when hitting a large bump? When I am going around 30 mph in relatively rough water, the throttle will jolt down which causes the boat to speed up!

I took my boat to the dealership and they said, and I quote "There is nothing we can do about it. It's how the 08 X-15's were built". I asked him several times if he was 'sure' and he said that he was. Seems VERY odd to me. He said that I either need to keep my hand on the throttle ALL the time and/or use Perfect Pass in order to fix the problem. That does NOT seem like the correct answer in my opinion.........

I have a 2008 X-15 with 160 hrs on it.

Can anyone tell me if they've had similar problems and if any of your trials and tribulations got the problem solved?

Thanks!

MattsCraft
05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
BUMP to this thread.

Are there any X-15 owners out there that have had the problem of the throttle going down when hitting a large bump? When I am going around 30 mph in relatively rough water, the throttle will jolt down which causes the boat to speed up!

I took my boat to the dealership and they said, and I quote "There is nothing we can do about it. It's how the 08 X-15's were built". I asked him several times if he was 'sure' and he said that he was. Seems VERY odd to me. He said that I either need to keep my hand on the throttle ALL the time and/or use Perfect Pass in order to fix the problem. That does NOT seem like the correct answer in my opinion.........

I have a 2008 X-15 with 160 hrs on it.

Can anyone tell me if they've had similar problems and if any of your trials and tribulations got the problem solved?

Thanks!

I call Bull - I have an '09 X2, sure it is the same throttle control as your '08 15, had the same problem and my dealer fixed it, now it is "nice and tight" just the way you want it, lol. There is an adjustment screw I think? Pretty sure I saw it posted here, but for sure mine did the same thing, used to use PP just to cruise, because it would gradually increase speed if you let your hand off of it, now it stays put!!!

hragsarkissian
06-16-2011, 02:09 AM
I have the same issue here. took my 2010 x25ss out for the first time yesterday and realized the same thing. when i hit a big wake the throttle lever just moves almost freely. It's fairly loose and definitely would like it to be tighter. Any idea how to do that on the x25? I would think it is a drive by wire.

mess33
06-16-2011, 10:07 PM
There is a solution. My dealer made the correction. I have an 08 ps214. If I did not have my hand on the throttle and I hit a big swell the force of hitting the wave would cause the throttle handle to go down thus increasing my speed.

My dealer reminded me that I should never take my handle off the handle but I only have 2 hands and one has to stay on the wheel. 99% of the time I do have my hand on the throttle.

It is a throttle by wire system so the remedy is an adjustment to a friction plate within the throttle handle. The dealer was not aware of this until he actually called Mastercraft and they walked him through the solution. Since the adjustment was made it works great.

Thrall
06-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Friend's '11 X45 is the same way...sloppy throttle. Not sure how the newer DBW ones adjust though as mine is still fine on my 06.

hragsarkissian
06-17-2011, 01:37 AM
There is a solution. My dealer made the correction. I have an 08 ps214. If I did not have my hand on the throttle and I hit a big swell the force of hitting the wave would cause the throttle handle to go down thus increasing my speed.

My dealer reminded me that I should never take my handle off the handle but I only have 2 hands and one has to stay on the wheel. 99% of the time I do have my hand on the throttle.

It is a throttle by wire system so the remedy is an adjustment to a friction plate within the throttle handle. The dealer was not aware of this until he actually called Mastercraft and they walked him through the solution. Since the adjustment was made it works great.

Interesting...any idea on how that works?

mess33
06-17-2011, 03:33 PM
No I do not. As I said my dealer did the work. I would probably screw it up or lose some parts if I tried to do it myself.

alothes
06-20-2011, 01:02 AM
I have a 2010 x45 and have the same problem. Haven't had a chance to try and solve the problem though. I'll let you know what I can find out.

hcoog17
03-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Bump!!! Anyone figure how to add a little bit of resistance to their throttle? I need to do this to my 06 X30 before summertime.

Thanks

flyingkiwi
04-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Maybe this will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UsxcnNsE0Y

bpinhigh
04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
My 2010 X-7/197 had the same issue...Put the throttle in nuetral and look at the underside of the throttle it self or the black box there should be an hexhead adjustment screw, Set it to your preference.

MattsCraft
04-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Found this in my archives. See Attached.