PDA

View Full Version : Too Stiff and Sticky Throttle

airwear
05-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Any one have any advice on how to ease a stiff throttle?

I tried to lube up the throttle cable where it attaches to the engine, at the back of the engine, however, it had little effect.

6ballsisall
05-23-2005, 11:40 PM
First look for kinks in the cable. Next, how old is the boat and the cable? They can rust in there. Have you played with the Morse throttle assemby?

mika
05-23-2005, 11:42 PM
first off how old are the cables? when you said you tried to lube them how did u do it? I have never lubed mine however I have lubed a ton of motorcycle cables. I know that they make a tool that slips over the end of those that kind of seals the end. Then there is an access hole where you can put a straw from a can of your favorite cable lube and shoot it in there. The seal makes it nice it forces the spray and the lube down the cable very well. Shold spray long enough to see lube coming out of the other end. I hope this helps. If the cable is in poor condition no amount of lube will save it and it should be replaced.

cables alway break at the worst possible time!

airwear
05-24-2005, 11:20 AM
The boat is a year 2000 Prostar, and it has been well taken care of, so I am sure all the cables are in good shape.

I just sprayed some lube on the cables by the engine.

Is there any adjustment in the throttle lever?

jimmer2880
05-24-2005, 01:25 PM
You may also want to lube the cable at the throttle end.

I had a similiar problem & it ended up being a cable-routing problem. The cable ended up being "shifted" to a route where it was on a rather small radius turn. Moved back to where it was originally trying to keep the cable as straight as possible. That helped alot!

lakes Rick
05-25-2005, 11:33 PM
My old Glastron Carson had a hard throttle/shifter/choke assembly.. Figured it was just old.. One winter I actually took the shift control assembly apart to find the old grease had hardened.. Cleaned it out, put some new grease in it and WOW, like new again... Wish I still had that boat.. Simpler and cheaper...

airwear
05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I am surprised that there does not seem to be a friction adjustment to the throttle, so that you have the flexibility to stiffen or loosen the throttle based on your own preferences.