PDA

View Full Version : Need a new tv, some ?s

Hammer
06-04-2009, 08:40 PM
OK so the old tube TV is going out. Need new one. So I'm thinking Plasma. LED is just to high. Plasma seems to have better color. Opinions? I'm thinking of 42-48 inches. So what brand, what kind of features should I be looking for?

JimN
06-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Panasonic is still very good. www.audioholics.com is a good site for reading up on all kinds of equipment, setup and ways to improve just about any system.

MCVOLS
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I have a 40" Sony LCD and love it. My dad has a 50" Panasonic Plasma and loves it too. There is tons of info on the net about these, but from what I hear, Plasma is good as long as you don't have too much light coming in from windows in the room. Also, once you get over 46" I hear plasma is better for the details too. I also have a 32" & 20" LCD's in smaller rooms that I am more than happy with.

TMCNo1
06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
This thread scared me! 15 minutes ago the picture went out on ours and was prepared to load it up for the dumpster and go to Walmart to look at new ones. Decided first to unplug the cable box after pushing every button in the house on every remote known to man that might effect it and bring the picture back, nothing worked. Plugged the cable box back in and after it reset, all is well.
Time Warner Cable says every 6 months or so, you either need to just unplug the cable box, leave it off for a minute or two, plug it back in for it to refresh and get it's mind right or just call them and let them reset it, WTH?

russlars
06-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Personally I think most LCD's look better in brighter lit rooms since they put out so much light. We have 2 Samsung LCD's and love them. Good value for the $. May want to check them out at Costco.

Ramhouse
06-05-2009, 02:44 AM
don't know ur cash flow extent, but we went to with Vizio..best bang for the buck. we are very happy with them(3). 32"bedroom...37" sons room and 47" family room..about cost forall 3 =2400.00...u can check stuff like this at www.cnet.com for reviews and costs...we got our at Sam's Club....

Hammer
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
I've got a 26" LCD that we use in our bedroom and camper, and have been very happy with it. Its a westinghouse. This one will be for our family room. Its a pretty modest size room so can't go to big. There's not tons of light in there, so I don't think the glare will be a problem with a plasma. Was thinking around a $1000+/-. But I'll spend what it takes to get the right one.

92 190 PS
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
We went Vizio as well and love it. The 42 we bought was rated #1 in consumer reports.

Not sure of the how valid it is, but when I was researching I found a couple threads that said LG owns/makes Vizio for the purpose of having a volume brand for Walmart and such. The threads said most of the quality and parts are the same as LG. We love ours and it was half the $ as some other brands.

Also, in researching plasma vs. LCD most of the faults on the early plasma's like burn in and viewing angle have been solved and no longer are an issue. We went plasma and have a pretty bright living room. Picture is awesome from every seat in the room.

JimN
06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
We went Vizio as well and love it. The 42 we bought was rated #1 in consumer reports.

Not sure of the how valid it is, but when I was researching I found a couple threads that said LG owns/makes Vizio for the purpose of having a volume brand for Walmart and such. The threads said most of the quality and parts are the same as LG. We love ours and it was half the $ as some other brands.

Also, in researching plasma vs. LCD most of the faults on the early plasma's like burn in and viewing angle have been solved and no longer are an issue. We went plasma and have a pretty bright living room. Picture is awesome from every seat in the room.

The LG/Vizio connection may have been used to sell more TVs. Vizio announced in late Dec/early January that they would no longer make their own displays, but LG hasn't made the same announcement. That doesn't account for the possibility that they may just be buying them for less than their cost to make them, though.

Plasma displays have far less of a problem with burn-in than before and it can be reversed by using the white balance function, if it has it. Also, setting the brightness and contrast to extremely high levels shortens the life of most sets.

Hammer
06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
So whats the difference between a $800 plasma and a $2000+ plasma of the same size. I know there are some image speed things, but I think that is mostly for video games. We don't play them yet (kids are still to young).

JimN
06-05-2009, 06:44 PM
A lot of the cheaper plasma sets only do 720p resolution and if you watch sports and other programs with action, computer generated animation and anything with high resolution (anything new is HD), it's going to be noticeable unless your viewing position is too far away. Also, the $2000 model will reproduce black better, which is one of the most important factors in whether it looks real, or not. The $800 model will also not have high contrast or the better color circuitry, either.

brucemac
06-05-2009, 07:03 PM
i'm still crying about pioneer....so sad...

JimN
06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
i'm still crying about pioneer....so sad...

That does suck.

Hrkdrivr
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T buy one unless you get to see it in action in the store. That's how we ended up choosing an LCD over plasma; in the end pick the one that looks better.

Like JimN said, the less-expensive TV may not be full HD (1080 resolution).

We got a 52" Sharp Aquos from Sam's Club 2 years ago and have been very pleased. It does put off a lot of heat, though...

MasterCraft Mark
06-06-2009, 12:34 AM
OK so the old tube TV is going out. Need new one. So I'm thinking Plasma. LED is just to high. Plasma seems to have better color. Opinions? I'm thinking of 42-48 inches. So what brand, what kind of features should I be looking for?

Do yourself a favor google to see if there are any problems with the tv you want to purchase,i wish i did it before i bought mine.I bought the 73 Mitsubishi DLP the thing is crap.If your looking for a 42 or 46 Im partial to the Sony or Panasonic 46.

HDAVIS
06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I recommend a LCD Sony Bravia. Love it. Bought it for our Houseboat. Wish I had one at home.

SOCALX45
06-07-2009, 05:41 AM
If you or anyone else in your house plays video games you have to go with a plasma. faster refresh rate and deeper blacks. Also you might wanna check out the mitsubishi diamond series DLP. My friend just picked one up 65" for $2500. They are really nice. Best DLP you can by. And if you go that big DLP is the way to go for the price. oh and if you have a blu-ray you gotta go with 1080. Dont go with 720, you'll regret it down the road. thats my :twocents:

SOCALX45
06-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Oh BTW in the last consumer report Samsung beat Panasonic for the best plasma!!:D

JimN
06-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Oh BTW in the last consumer report Samsung beat Panasonic for the best plasma!!:D

The problem with Consumer Report, and it's been this way for over 30 years, is that they don't account for more than the first year of ownership. I know of a dealer that does $80K/month just in Sony parts replacement. Samsung may have gotten the better rating but they didn't seem to mention that Samsung makes the displays for Sony, Panasonic and others, keeping the best ones for themselves and even then, Samsung have a pretty high service rate.

The most unfortunate thing in all of this is the fact that TVs and most other consumer electronics are no longer made to be serviced the way they were in the past. As an example, this means the replacement display for the $2500 Sony plasma will cost $3000 to replace because they only buy enough for the ones they sell and don't want to buy enough for the units that need to be serviced. This results in landfills being stuffed with old TVs and other electronics that used to last years, if not decades.

Patrick Hardy
06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
That is a perfect analogy JimN. That is one of the downsides in our consumer driven capitalistic society, everything is disposable.

JimN
06-07-2009, 12:44 PM
That is a perfect analogy JimN. That is one of the downsides in our consumer driven capitalistic society, everything is disposable.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being capitalistic but when new versions are so much cheaper than last year's model, it's not economically sensible to repair what breaks.

SOCALX45
06-08-2009, 01:25 AM
The problem with Consumer Report, and it's been this way for over 30 years, is that they don't account for more than the first year of ownership. I know of a dealer that does $80K/month just in Sony parts replacement. Samsung may have gotten the better rating but they didn't seem to mention that Samsung makes the displays for Sony, Panasonic and others, keeping the best ones for themselves and even then, Samsung have a pretty high service rate.

The most unfortunate thing in all of this is the fact that TVs and most other consumer electronics are no longer made to be serviced the way they were in the past. As an example, this means the replacement display for the $2500 Sony plasma will cost $3000 to replace because they only buy enough for the ones they sell and don't want to buy enough for the units that need to be serviced. This results in landfills being stuffed with old TVs and other electronics that used to last years, if not decades.

And yet Samsung is still usually cheaper then Sony and Panasonic. Its really just the name your paying for.

i have never heard of having to replace the whole screen on a plasma or LCD. I know they fade with time and they have greatly lengthened the life of these tvs. I guess on the rare occasion the screen will go out prematurely and most of the time the warranty will be there. After 6-8 yrs and the screen starts to fade (be suprised if you even notice it) a new TV would cost less probably then to repair it.

JimN
06-08-2009, 10:24 AM
And yet Samsung is still usually cheaper then Sony and Panasonic. Its really just the name your paying for.

i have never heard of having to replace the whole screen on a plasma or LCD. I know they fade with time and they have greatly lengthened the life of these tvs. I guess on the rare occasion the screen will go out prematurely and most of the time the warranty will be there. After 6-8 yrs and the screen starts to fade (be suprised if you even notice it) a new TV would cost less probably then to repair it.

Talk to enough people who own plasma TVs and you'll hear about a line that shows up but won't go away. It's not the only failure but it's one that will make it pretty unwatchable. Sony, specifically, has such a high core charge that it's just not worth replacing.

Re: Samsung's pricing vs Sony & Panasonic- Sony buys plasma screens from Samsung and that cost is passed on to the consumer. In addition, the ones Samsung sells to other companies are not of the same quality as what they use in their own.

puck_11
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Samsung! We have a 32" Samsung LCD and a 56" Samsung DLP tv, very happy with both! Someone mentioned 720p, its pretty much a moot point now since the price difference is so low, if you're going bigger than 32" you should spend the extra money.

JimN
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Samsung! We have a 32" Samsung LCD and a 56" Samsung DLP tv, very happy with both! Someone mentioned 720p, its pretty much a moot point now since the price difference is so low, if you're going bigger than 32" you should spend the extra money.

Plus, as more time passes, less programming in any form will be in 720, so 1080 will be the mainstream after a certain point.

The guys on one of the local morning radio shows are talking about the digital signal changeover on Friday, and how there's no doubt that many people have no idea that their TV will no longer work, so two of the local TV stations will continue to broadcast analog signal.

Ski-me
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I recommend a LCD Sony Bravia. Love it. Bought it for our Houseboat. Wish I had one at home.

We just bought one for our bedroom and now all the kids and us end up watching in our bed! The picture is fantastic and worth it, definitely!

We got a Sony KDL-46XBR6 46" BRAVIAŽ XBRŽ6 1080p LCD HDTV with 120Hz refresh rate.

Unbelievable bright and vivid! Just be sure the "ambiance lighting" is set to off. The saleguy was not aware of this and cost him about 3 TV swaps before "I" figured it out. It was like night and day!

You should be able to pick it up for around $1700 now.....Sony has a replacement with 240Hz now. Our 120Hz does great and I don't see the urgent need for the 240.

Here is the 120 Hz
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665532069

You may have to hunt around a bit to find it (which means there should be some great deals out there)

Here is the 240 Hz

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9276286&type=product&id=1218073534751

As a bonus (and crucial for us) was that the Sony had the smallest perimeter bezzle around the screen so we could fit a larger screen size into our cabinet. A huge driver for us.

Hammer
06-14-2009, 03:14 PM
I bit the bullet. Bought a Samsung series 6 plasma 50". Got it from Best Buy. They were doing three years no interest. Buddy hooked me up with a wall mount, now I just need to get digital service. Thanks for the input guys!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
06-14-2009, 06:07 PM
So whats the difference between a $800 plasma and a $2000+ plasma of the same size. I know there are some image speed things, but I think that is mostly for video games. We don't play them yet (kids are still to young).

Better image processing, better scaling, up-conversion ect.

TX.X-30 fan
06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Plus, as more time passes, less programming in any form will be in 720, so 1080 will be the mainstream after a certain point.

The guys on one of the local morning radio shows are talking about the digital signal changeover on Friday, and how there's no doubt that many people have no idea that their TV will no longer work, so two of the local TV stations will continue to broadcast analog signal.

One of three possibilities here:

1. out of the country for the last 8 years.

2. illiterate.

3 democrat.

TX.X-30 fan
06-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Change is coming!!!!