PDA

View Full Version : 89 prostar new to me questions?

bpinhigh
06-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I picked up this 89 prostar for cheap, cheap and need to do some work on it. I have read all the forums and am having some trouble figuring out a couple things.

1. boat is only turning over at about 3300 rpms, thinking carb or timing??? attaching a picture of carb my guess is someone put a car carb on, could explain why i smell gas all the time.

2. when i grab the prop shaft to check the strut bearing it has about a mm of play, is that to much?

3. Boat just clicks when hot? starts fine cold figure need to switch to new starter or clean cables, but also might be carb issue as well, thoughts?

4. Drained the exhaust manifolds and stuck my finger up there lots of chunks of rust etc. best way to clean out?

5. The floor is soft by the ski pole and rear bilge, I have some teak laying around and am thinking about building replacement panels similar to rear platform any issues? like water drip on to the drive shaft when skier gets in wet or perhaps noise.

6. All the gauges bounce around when you turn stuff off and on? again thinking corrosion, but not sure.

7. Is the trailer missing a bow catch, pita to get nose up to put on trailer.

I will be replacing the prop and upgrading to electronic ignition if it already has not been what do points look like?( my 67 Camaro even had EI when I got it.) Any help would be appreciated, happy as heck I get to teach my son to ski behind the same boat I learned behind.

Slainte, Mike

TMCNo1
06-04-2009, 07:08 PM
First things first, that's a street vehicle 4010 Holley carb on a '89 351W,
240 hp, not a marine 4160 carb, because it doesn't have the "J" vent tubes and your gonna probably one day blow yourself up, should look like this,

Points look like this,

You have some kind of aftermarket trailer, not a MC, so I guess you've got what ya got.

CantRepeat
06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
That's not a 4010. A 4010 had one metering block and one metering plate and flat fuel bowls. That carb has duel metering blocks. As No1 said it's not the factory carb and does pose some issues with over flowing fuel.

Can you look on the air horn and see what numbers are on it. Holley made a 600 CFM carb 3810s but was a factory chevy duel quad application. Short of that it looks like a 4150 600 cfm.

You may want to check the timing. To far advanced and to much heat might make it hard to start.

rholmes
06-04-2009, 11:27 PM
the trailer looks like it is for an old correct craft. Dunno for certain.

I would agree with the carb issue being that it isn't a normally equipped carb.

Shouldn't have soft spots in the boat. It has got an all fiberglass floor.

bpinhigh
06-05-2009, 04:59 AM
I will preclude this post with I run an Irish pub and have been mainlining Middletons tonight, so spelling doesn't count......

I test ran the boat by myself for an hour, issues I found listed above. i will not run the boat till the carb is up to specs. i have had fun with roman candles in the past, but not keen on lighting myself off.

do i need the the 4160 600 cfm carb or another?

rholmes; the floor is glass/wood behind and in front of the motor box. upfront by the pylon it is bowed like a mofo, i imagine someone replaced it (like the carb) and didn't do it right.

92maristar; the numbers on the carb where the list # should be are 4777-7 with 1205 undeneath.

heck for what i got in the boat, i have no problems spending the $$$ to make it right.

cheers, mike

dmminfla
06-05-2009, 05:27 AM
It looks like you got a great deal on the boat. I would go with the 4160 ..

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D0%2D80319%2D1&N=700+306079+115&autoview=sku

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA052003

CantRepeat
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
A 4777-7 is a 650 cfm double pumper mechanical secondary. Is there any chance the PO has the 4160 that came on the boat? If so I would get that back, rebuild it and install that carb. Keep in mind the 4160 should be the marine carb with the over flow tubes, as Harold has pointed out.

Did the PO say anything about motor changes? IE cam, piston, head changes?

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree with rholmes the trailer looks like one of my neighbors' who has a correct craft boat. I have an 87 PS190 that is the same color-congrats on your boat.

time9
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
When i picked up my boat It suffered from both the falling on its face @3000 rpm and the not starting hot issues and it turned out to be a timing problem. I also had spongy floors which made the boat vibrate a ton. Since the stringers were fine i just tore up the floors the first off season and replaced them with marine plywood painted with resin. This greatly improved the boats performance! Good luck!!

bpinhigh
06-06-2009, 10:51 AM
New carb should be here Tuesday, thanks for the advice on that one. I also confirmed the boat does have EI already, yeah one less thing to fix/change. Plan on giving her a complete tune up when I get the carb and hopfully she will be ready to rock, atleast till it gets cold again then i will start on the cosmetics.

etduc
06-06-2009, 12:09 PM
New carb should be here Tuesday, thanks for the advice on that one. I also confirmed the boat does have EI already, yeah one less thing to fix/change. Plan on giving her a complete tune up when I get the carb and hopfully she will be ready to rock, atleast till it gets cold again then i will start on the cosmetics.

Another thing you should consider, just because you have EI, doesn't mean it is functioning correctly. While you are waiting on your carb, have your distributor serviced. Since you don't have history of maintenance, (double pumper, not a good sign) You might want to consider, replacing the distributor.

bpinhigh
06-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Got the new 4160, today...Do I need to use gasket sealer on the cardboard gasket? Also the boat has rubber fuel lines boo! Will a braided stainless line work? or should I get one bent up to fit?

Etduc, when u say replace the dist. do u mean the whole thing? shaft and all? I plan on new cap, rotor, and wires...

etduc
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Got the new 4160, today...Do I need to use gasket sealer on the cardboard gasket? Also the boat has rubber fuel lines boo! Will a braided stainless line work? or should I get one bent up to fit?

Etduc, when u say replace the dist. do u mean the whole thing? shaft and all? I plan on new cap, rotor, and wires...

gasket sealer, yes/no depends who you ask. I use it. Stainless line will work, less hassle, easier to hook up. Some do used high temp. rubber (plastic coated) fuel lines. BE careful of your routing, though.

Since carbs are easy to change. Do it. If boat, under load, won't go past 3000 rpm, then it is not advancing.

The advancing mechanism, weights, arms, springs... Can be curroded (oxidation), broken,etc.

Not hard, to service, but does take time/knowledge. Yes, I talking a complete distributor.

bpinhigh
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Is the distributor marine specific? or can i pick one up at the auto parts store? might be a dumb question, but i dont want to deal with that like the carb issue.

SkiDog
06-08-2009, 07:01 PM
You MIGHT wanna check the starter while you're at it. If it's not a MARINE starter, by all means, CHANGE IT! Nuther splosion possibility!

etduc
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Is the distributor marine specific? or can i pick one up at the auto parts store? might be a dumb question, but i dont want to deal with that like the carb issue.

Main difference is, they are designed, to keep moisture out. Automotive will work. But I used marine type, less hassle. Lots of places to purchase. If you want it fast, Jegs, Discount Marine, ebay, etc.

bpinhigh
06-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Got the carb on and adjusted, yesterday. Today replaced the battery cables, cleaned all connections, new cap, rotor, fuel filter, plugs. Need to set timing still, but for some reason today it won't start...its turning over. I have mostly been an observer the few times been a part to timing an engine so I am going to wait for help, plus it will save me buying a timing light. The starter is working half arse, sometimes it clicks others it turns over. Went ahead and ordered a new starter from arco, also ordered a new ignition and saftey switch from skidim just in case. Gonna wait on the dist.

Liquidair33
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Where did you order your ignition and safety switch from? Was pulling this weekend and my boat went dead in the water after I cut it off. Batterys all had charge and no gauges were working so I am thinking its either one of those pieces.

Thanks,
Rob

denverd1
06-12-2009, 02:28 PM
^ that sounds kinda like a fuse. skidim.com for parts.

"The advancing mechanism, weights, arms, springs... Can be curroded (oxidation), broken,etc."
Sounds to me like this is it.

Also, that fuel line would be really suspect IMO. I'd replace once you get carb figured out.

bpinhigh
06-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, I broke down and bought a dist. figured since I have just about replaced everything else why not go all the way.

I changed the fuel line out to a braided stainless line.

Cheers, Mike

bpinhigh
06-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Well after getting everything up and running, I found water in the oil:(. The boat has 1600 hrs on it with no maint. history available to me. With the hrs high I am thinking a complete gasket replacement is not worth it, plus I dont want to deal with it for a long time. I can get it rebuilt or buy from rapido marine. My question is what is the best way to go? I know the one from rapido will pretty much be plug and play. What do I need to do to the exhaust and Intake manifolds? if I go with rapido. Any experience/suggestions would be helpful?