PDA

View Full Version : 89 PS190 electronic ignition with old style coil

hkallestad
06-04-2009, 04:00 AM
I installed the electronic ignition kit and the 351 is running very good. I havent changed the coil, I also have the resistor still in place. If motor is running fine, do I have to change the coil and remove the resistor, will I damage anything running it like it is now??

BrianM
06-04-2009, 09:47 AM
The coil does not have to be changed but you do need to remove the resistor.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Brian is right on about needing to remove the resistor. As far as the coil goes, you can replace the coil with a modern high-output coil and receive more benefits from a hotter spark. At the same time you should switch to a spark plug with a wider gap. Follow the instructions from the manufacturer. There will be some basic guidelines, although I'm sure someone with more experience will be on here to give you spark plug specifics. It would help to know which electronic ign. you switched to. When you replace the coil with a hotter coil, you should also replace the spark plug wires with some 7mm or 8mm wires because your old wires probably don't have the capability to handle the increased output of the new coil. Skidim is a great source for quality plug wires at a good price if you don't already have a good outlet.

Just got a whole lot more expensive, huh? It will be worth it once you have the whole package changed over. You will be able to feel the difference. Good luck!

hkallestad
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Well right now it's running just fine with the old coil and resistor, but I guess I could remove the resistor. Is the coil the only component on the resistor loop?

BrianM
06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Well right now it's running just fine with the old coil and resistor, but I guess I could remove the resistor. Is the coil the only component on the resistor loop?
Yes. Just take it out and splice the wire back together. It may not be giving you trouble now but leaving the resistor in may start causing problems when it starts heating up.

TRBenj
06-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Yikes, talk about some bad advice!

Whether you need to run the ballast resistor or not will vary depending on which electronic ignition kit youre using. There are several! Magnetic pick ups usually allow the elimination of the resistor, while some optical pick ups still require it. Read the directions that came with the kit!

The coil is commonly matched to the kit as well- a high output coil may or may not reduce the life of the electronic module. Again, read the instructions!

Whether or not you should be running the resistor doesnt affect the coil. Both of those are determined by the module itself.

BrianM
06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Agreed to read the instructions. BUT, the most common conversion requires eliminating the resistor and does not require changing the coil.

hkallestad
06-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I've got the common kit, and the manual says to remove the resistior, and recommends a new coil. I'll remove the resistor, keep the coil for now.

TMCNo1
06-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I've got the common kit, and the manual says to remove the resistior, and recommends a new coil. I'll remove the resistor, keep the coil for now.
I installed the uncommon kit that said bypass the ballast resistor and install a HO coil, now I am confused!:confused:

michaelh_26
06-09-2009, 01:52 AM
my pertronix ignitor 1 kit needs a resistor ,the newer ignitor 2 and 3 do not, i had to call pertronix last year. Bad advice to just remove it, it depends on the unit.