PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Help

Sledge
06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I have three trailer issues that I need help with. (My first boat, just bought Sept. 08)

1. No spare tire mount.

Could someone provide pictures and measurements of the mounting bracket from their trailer? I would rather make one that bolts into the correct location, rather than buy the clamp on style. I am assuming that the original bracket bolts on, as there are 4 holes in the frame where the spare would be.

2. Bow feels light on the trailer.

When the boat is loaded on the trailer, should the bow be resting on the boat buddy? There is about 1/2" of clearance between the bow and the boat buddy and it just seems like the boat should come forward a bit more. The boat rests just fine in the front v-block, so it wont move any further forward. The pin on the boat buddy goes through the center of the bow eye just fine. I bring up this concern because with not much effort, I can lift the bow off of the front v-block.

3. Wants to sit off to port side.

When loading the boat onto the trailer, it always wants to settle into the same position, off to the port side. I have to push the boat to starboard as my wife winches the boat up (careful to specify what she is winching). It is not off too far but definitely not centered, the starboard side is just over the bunk.

I know that I have come to the right place to get help with these concerns. Thank you in advance for your help.

russlars
06-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I had the same issue with the absence of a spare tire mount when I purchased my boat. I solved that problem by getting a mount that bolts onto the trailer and has storage in the mount for a jack, lug wrench, etc. I purchased mine from Cabellas but just did a search and couldn't find it on their site.

Ski-me
06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't have exact measurement but here are a few photos to get you close on the mounting of the tire carrier. I was doing some measuring for some new sticker replacements. I do have to take my spare tire off to get out of my driveway because when the tongue goes down at the driveway entrance, my spare tire skids on the ground. I basically have a nice flat spot on my spare!:rolleyes:

When I load my boat, it doesn't naturally center between the two wheelwells. I need to have my daughters push on the pole to center the boat as I am pulling the trailer out of the water, going up the ramp. They do a pretty good job at it but if it's off a little, I can get under the boat and rock it a little to center the back end onto the trailer better.

I don't know about your tongue weight. As long as the boat buddy can go throught the eye, I don't see much of an issue. Just be sure the balanced weight of the trailer is on the vehicle hitch with enough drop to keep everything solid. If the weight of the trailer load is toward the back, it creates more of a fishtail when towing.......

(based on an extreme case when some daughters loaded a trailer with an amazing amount of concrete debris behind the trailer wheels :o) That was an experience!!

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I have the same isssues with it loading a little offset. I just rock it over when I get it on the ramp like Ski-me. I will have to try the "kid push" method next time-never thought of that one.

russlars
06-03-2009, 02:49 PM
When your boat of off the trailer check your bunks to make sure that they are in the exact same position and height on both sides.
By the way, how many boats do you have in that garage?

Sledge
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Russlars,

I would be interested in seeing a pic of your spare tire mount. I wanted to stay away from a mount that clamps over the frame, but the storage thing has me interested. I will check my bunks the next time that the boat is off of the trailer. Over the winter I have three boats and my 73 Duster in the garage. I could probably get one more car or boat in if I packed them a bit tighter.

Ski-me,

I see that you have a newer trailer than I do. Yours is square tube construction where mine is u-channel construction. I believe that the spare tire mount differs between our trailers as yours is welded on and I believe that mine should be a bolt on (see 1st pic with holes in frame). I have seen pics of slightly different mounts but not close up enough. Hopefully someone sees this with that style and can provide measurements of the parts so that I might be able to weld one up.

It seems from what you and LYNRDSKYNRD say about loading off center that this may be common and something that I will just have to deal with. I can live with that. When I let it settle how it wants, the starboard side is just about even with the outer edge of the bunk. The 2nd pic below shows what it looks like when centered.

Regarding the tongue weight, that seems ok, what I am concerned with is the forward weight of the boat on the trailer. I am concerned that as I am going down the road over bumps that the boat may be lifting off of the v-block and smacking back down. Even with the trailer off of the truck, with one hand I can lift the bow off of the trailer before the trailer tongue even moves. Anyway the 3rd pic shows the gap between the bow and the boat buddy while the 4th pic shows that the pin for the boat buddy is almost centered in the bow eye. I am thinking about adding a tie-down from the bow eye straight down to the trailer. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for the input and advice.

TMCNo1
06-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Two 1/2' bolts to match lug nuts and some metal scraps, a welder could make you one up. I had our factory bracket welded to the frame "C" rail when I did my trailer refurb in 1997 and I would suggest you weld it on too. The base piece of metal that bolts to the trailer was made from angle stock by MC and the inside rounded radius of the angle did not match the square outside angle of the frame "C" and had to be spaced with washers and was uncomfortably flimsey, that why I went ahead and welded it up, then took the bolts out and welded up all the holes and ground smooth.
Referencing off of your trailer frame picture as shown here, the face of the bracket the wheel bolts to is 4 1/2" out from the face of the trailer rail and the centerline of the bolts are 4 1/2" above the top flange of the "C" channel. I hope this helps.

russlars
06-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Sledge. Here you go. This is the link to the spare tire mount and tool kit that I have: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon&id=0019053015975a&navCount=5&podId=0019053&parentId=cat420008&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true
Make sure that you click on the "more views" to see what all is included. Mine is black and matches my trailer. Good luck with your project.

TMCNo1
06-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Your '90 outboard on that trailer should not be much different than our '89 DD with the retofit Boat Buddy and winch stand. Maybe the stand and or yoke has got slightly bent forward, but ours was installed per the dimensions supplied by MasterCraft in this PDF link in this thread, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=425858&postcount=48 and fits snugly in the V block and Boat Buddy with the Boat Buddy pin slightly off center rearward in the bow eye and never touches during towing with the winch strap tight. You may want to check your Boat Buddy/stand location against the PDF dimensions and see it it's off any.

Sledge
06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Russlars,

Thanks for the link. I like the fact that there is storage for the tools on that mount.

TMCNo1,

Thanks for the links, pics and measurements. I printed the pic of your trailer and made a sketch with some measurements. I have a guy at work that will weld one up when he has some free time here. I will post the results when it is completed.

Sledge
07-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Ok, so here is the update so far.

1. No spare tire mount:
I was leaving for a trip and wanted the spare mounted before I left. A guy at work welded up what looks like a very strong piece, unfortunately my "manual CAD drawing" (chicken scratch) was not interpreted accurately and the measurements are off. The tire hits the trailer before the rim touches the mount. Settled for a bolt on for now, $19.95. Thanks anyway Shotter, maybe we can try again if I come up with a better drawing.

2. Bow feels light on the trailer:
Had the boat out a few times and had much better luck loading. Even though the boat is no further forward on the trailer, I can not lift the bow off of the V-block. Hmmmm????? I still need to measure the Boat Buddy/stand location, thanks for the PDF TMCNo1. I will let you know what I find.

3. Wants to sit off to port side:
My kids are not big enough yet to use the Ski-me approach, so I had to go push on the guide post when I was being pulled out of the water. Much easier and by eye, was almost perfectly centered.

deereman
07-01-2009, 12:56 AM
you can NEVER have too many boats in the garage.:D we have to jam 5 boats in the shed every winter.