PDA

View Full Version : RV Generator Help???

Gonzo
06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey guys, I know a lot of you 3 event guys have had or have RVs. My mother is having the roof replaced on hers professionally. The Generator on it also will not fire. I have never worked on a generator, but isn’t it simply an engine with an alternator on it? I mean if I change the plugs change the oil makes sure its getting gas and has battery shouldn’t it fire up?

Thx

flipper
06-03-2009, 11:37 AM
If you have fuel, spark, and compression it should fire up for you.

Gonzo
06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
ummm compression... thats a good point, I can test that if I have more trouble. And Im gussing the carbs on generators is similar to a lawn mower?

flipper
06-03-2009, 12:05 PM
ummm compression... thats a good point, I can test that if I have more trouble. And Im gussing the carbs on generators is similar to a lawn mower?

More or less, depending on how big of a generator it is.

x-10ron
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
when was the last time you use the generator? maybe the carb is gummed up, you could try to spray some starter fluid in the carb to see if it fires up,

Gonzo
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
No idea the last time they fired that thing up. I think its going to be a fathers day project for me though. Carb cleaner and starter fluid a must.

Footin
06-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I have worked on a friends a few times, I would pull apart the carb and clean it out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Hammer
06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Drain the fuel first. Pull the fuel bowl and clean with carb cleaner. spray down the carb from there. Dump some fresh fuel in the bowl be for replacing. Change plug, oil, clean filter. Fire it up!