PDA

View Full Version : beware of gas gauge

mbeach
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
over holiday weekend, i launched and had my bride drive the boat over to our dock. anyway, when i got back to dock, she was histerical and said the boat kept cutting out on her and slowing down. anyway, i thought it was just an estrogen thing and took the boat out by myself to confirm or rebut her claim. well, the mrs was correct and it did cut out and sputter so i had to limp back to dock and put on lift to try to find probable cause. i read most maintenance posts and was thinking i am next in line for engine problems which are difficult to diagnose. first thing i check is gas which is registering over half a tank. then i think it has been on half a tank for a long time making some of my friends comment that my mc does not use much gas since it was used over the winter primarily for cruising around the lake (fla, not iowa). anyway, i decided to do a visual on the tank to see if it was indeed around half a tank. pulled the rear seat and stuff to expose the tank and vola EMPTY. now i am thinking about all the horror stories about running out of gas and its effect on the wonderful mastercraft fuel pump. sooooooooooooooo, i get my 5 gal gas can, put 5 gal in tank and cross fingers. fired up, ran fine, and i added 15 more gal in 5 gal increments. boat is running fine, had a great time on water, but gas gauge still had not budged. i am lucky because no damage was done, especially the mrs being stranded on the lake and she is the only boat on the water. only way to get me out of the doghouse for being the "doubting thomas" was a great seafood dinner that night and moonlight cruise around lake that night with bottle of bubbly. so fellow teamers, the moral of this story is be very suspect if you see something funky going on with your fuel gauge.

Craig
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Had a similar situation recently.

When I bought our boat the fuel pump was making all sorts of noise, thought it was dying, turned out to be a clog in the fuel line, cleared it up and it ran fine. I thought to myself that it was likely that the pump would die at some point in the summer.

Last week we were out and the pump started making noise again. I thought to myself crap, there is $320 I need to drop. Luckily I decided to do a check on the fuel system one more time before I spend the money. Turns out I just completely out of gas, gage was reading about 1/8 tank. Filled it up, re-calibrated the gage, good to go.

tsali
06-28-2009, 08:04 PM
How did you fix the problem? I have the same issues

OHIOPRO205
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I had to put a new fuel gage float in mine about 2 years agoand to this day i cannot get it calibrated. i fine tune it and about 2 fillups later it is off by 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank. Not always the same way either. Not sure what I am doing wrong.