View Full Version : Extended pylon for older Mastercraft?

06-02-2009, 11:26 PM
So my pylon is not like most i've seen. It has a T at the top which i guess is to hold the rope, and doesn't have the polyurethane seat or whatever it normally is. Also, it only measures 2". What can I do to get an extended pylon for this? Everything I see says like 2 and half inch. Will I have to change the pylon first?


06-03-2009, 09:09 AM
There are extended pylons out there that will fit your ski pole. "Flight Pipe" is one line that will fit that "t" pole. I just took one off of my boat and sold it less than a week ago (same setup as you have).


06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
You can pound the T out. LOTS of wd40 and a peice of wood with a hammer.

06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
You can pound the T out. LOTS of wd40 and a peice of wood with a hammer.

Exactly! And if you knock it one way and it doesn't move, try the other direction. It will free up. And like cbryan said...LOTS of WD40. Mine is/was just like that. Also, keep some pressure on the opposite side of the pylon, by the means of a buddy holding it back, so you don't stress the mounting points at the bottom of the pylon. Just a thought.

06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I will look into something like that flight pipe. I appreciate the idea, but I hate the though of pounding out the t because I want to keep it as original as I possibly can. Call me weird, haha. Just out of curiousity, how much did you sell for thwack?

06-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Okay, so I can't find much about the Flite Pipe. Do they still make them? I found one used on on Craigslist in Oregon, thats the best I got. Any other companies that make this style?

06-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Okay, the last one fell through. I found another one, but it doesn't have the bow strap with it. I have looked around at Overton's and Googled it but can't find just the strap. Where could I get one and how much would it cost?

06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I have not seen a new flight pipe advertised for sale for quite some time, maybe since the 90's...

06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I talked to a guy at Discount Inboard Marine and he told me they went out of business like 4 years ago.

06-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Welcome to TT David. My sugggestion is a simple home made trick I learned from a buddy. Buy a steel cable with the plastic coating. buy a heavy duty D hook. Make loops in the end of the steel cable and crimp it by spinning 20 or so loops of wire below the loop to hold the loop together. Of course you have to measure first. Place nerf (Home plumbing insulation works well) style padding every place the cable comes into contact with the hull. Run it through the bow eye to the pylon eye, and voila... D hook attatches the two loops to the pylon eye.

06-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I used a 2.5" "BIG POLE" on my 78. I used a five gallon bucket, cut the top ring off & bottom so I could make just a sleeveto take up the slack. Redneck but it worked great. I also drilled a hole in the wakeboard pylon at about the same height as the factory pylon & inserted another pin to keep the pole from resting directly on the floor of the boat. It had a pin cross ways at the top with a 1" square hole in the front, it used a nylon strap with a loop, rachet, nylon sling around the bow hooked to the strap with a d ring. Should be easy to duplicate

06-11-2009, 11:41 PM
& if you have access to an air hammer it makes short work of the T. I have also removed them with a ball joint/ u joint c clamp press.

06-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Welcome to TT David.
Thank you, Monte. I've been reading the site for a while now, just not posting much. Your route seems interesting, do you have any pictures?
However, the FlitePipe has a ratchet attached at the top, so I would more likely go the route of a nylon strap d-ringed to the bow eye, then the nylon strap running from the ratchet to a d-ring at the sling. Thanks for that Diesel, seeing it typed out made me realize how easy it would be to do it myself instead of purchasing the attachment. If I do that, I'm just going to have to go buy a new sling and strap, probably black if I can find it so it won't look bad. The typical yellow straps we use at work wouldn't look too great, haha!

06-13-2009, 12:34 AM
When I had that flite pipe on my 79, I had to come up with the bow attachment as the original dry-rotted. I bought a black nylon sling to run through the bow eye, bouth an 1.5" black heavy duty ratchet strap, and two caribiners. I cut the hooks off of the ratchet strap with a side grinder, and replaced them with the caribiners. I then just attached the ratcheting end caribiner to the d-ring on the flite pipe and the caribiner on the other end to the nylon sling. It worked well and looked fine.

06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, the second one got sold to someone else. :(. I have been searching everywhere and can't find one. I've looked at ebay, craigslist, wakeworld, and a lot of other random forums. Does anybody know where one is for sale? I would really like to get one as soon as possible.