PDA

View Full Version : Prop Damage Question...

Prostarfam93
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
:confused:At the end of last season I hit something on the bottom of the river and it slightly bent the tips of my prop. I got the prop fixed but noticed once I put it back on that the prop did not turn easily with my hands. It is fairly hard to turn... Does that mean the alignment got messed up from hitting? The strut and drive shaft do not appear to be bent at all.

TMCNo1
06-02-2009, 01:47 PM
:confused:At the end of last season I hit something on the bottom of the river and it slightly bent the tips of my prop. I got the prop fixed but noticed once I put it back on that the prop did not turn easily with my hands. It is fairly hard to turn... Does that mean the alignment got messed up from hitting? The strut and drive shaft do not appear to be bent at all.

There is always the potential for other damage if a prop hits something, have the strut and alignment checked by a professional if you have doubts or can't do it yourself.

russlars
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I would say to run your boat the way it is and see if you have any noticeable vibration, especially at low speeds. If things run nice and smooth like they did before you are probably okay. If not, get it checked like the boss said.

mrprostar
06-02-2009, 02:24 PM
So just to clarify...you should be able to turn it easily by hand? One time when I was testing the motor out of the water I accidentally put it in gear for a split second and it made the most awefuly screaching noise. I didn't think much of it because it doesn't make any noise in the lake. Could this be related to my top end problem?

russlars
06-02-2009, 02:31 PM
So just to clarify...you should be able to turn it easily by hand? One time when I was testing the motor out of the water I accidentally put it in gear for a split second and it made the most awefuly screaching noise. I didn't think much of it because it doesn't make any noise in the lake. Could this be related to my top end problem?
More likely related to no water lubrication of the shaft, which occurs when it is in the water.

mrprostar
06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Thats what I assumed, but I dont think I could go out and turn the prop by hand while its on the trailer.

Prostarfam93
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes, it does have noticeable vibration at lower speeds I noticed immediatly that the ski mirror was shaking which it did not do at all before... I will take it in and get it checked out.

Thanks for all the help!

Prostarfam93
06-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Yikes took it to the propeller shop and it needs a strut bearing and the shaft is bad. Ouch its not gonna be cheap, not sking this weekend:(

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Yikes took it to the propeller shop and it needs a strut bearing and the shaft is bad. Ouch its not gonna be cheap, not sking this weekend:(

Wow, that sucks Bro,hopefully you'll get her back up and running soon.

Whitfield
06-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I know working with machine shops shaft straightening for equiptment is a common service.

My experience with inboards is limited, but I'd think this could be straightened.

WTRSK1R
06-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Thats what I assumed, but I dont think I could go out and turn the prop by hand while its on the trailer.

You should be able to turn it by hand. It will not be easy or spin free, but you should be able to turn it. The transmission on these boats is basically hydrostatic, so if the engine is not running, regardless of if you are in gear or not, there is no hydraulic pressure to stop you from turning the prop.

It will definately squeel or squeak if you run it dry. You can take a garden hose and stray down the strut and it will usually quit for a bit if you want to run it and spin the prop while on dry land. However I would not do it long or above idle speed.

XPC Sealman
06-11-2009, 08:26 AM
If you are going to replace the strut bearings, go with the newer factory bearing. The XPC Bearing is available at OJ and many other dealers. It will smooth out your drive system even more.