PDA

View Full Version : oil bath hubs

softailcowboy
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
what is the correct level in the sight glass? how do you add oil? what is the right oil?

tnx

ncsone
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I was told to fill them to the point where the oil level is halfway up the glass. If you take the wheel off, you will see a allen-head screw in the outside of the hub. Remove this screw and you can fill the hub via the 3/8 in hole. If I recall correctly, I used 90wt. gear oil in my hubs.

rspiecha
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I just did mine, about 3/4 full or just above the logo on the site window. There is a plug you have to remove to fill, which means removing your wheel. I used the recommend SAE 50 motor oil. Again, this is for the oil bath hubs on a 2005 trailer. check your owners manual for compete details.

Rob

hawaiianstiln
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
i've filled mine up 2/3rds and no problems. Pour it slow because before you know it, it will overflow out of the hole. I used SAE 50 racing motor oil from checkers/autozone.

shepherd
06-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Related question: I suppose the oil needs to be changed, right? If so, how often? I

JohnE
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Related question: I suppose the oil needs to be changed, right? If so, how often? I

I've been meaning to ask that too. We probably have close to the same mileage on our trailers. I probably have 10K miles on this one.

It's one of the questions I keep forgetting to ask.

ncsone
06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I change mine out once a year. I do it when I am de-winterizing. Not sure if that is correct or not and I am thinking about doing it more often as the oil had a metallic 'sparkle' to it in the sun. There were very, very fine metal pieces in the oil.

hawaiianstiln
06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, once a year is great! I would bet most trailer MFG's (ex: extreme, DHM, etc..) would say every 2 years is okay.

Just make sure you put ATV orange sealer around the thread of the allen head when you screw it back in. Those things can vibrate off or leak on your if you don't.

g-Dog
06-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure if your hubs are different than the GOLD Hubs on my 2002 205V trailer...but mine recommends to "Add oil until all of the air is forced out and no air bubbles can be seen. Hub cavity is completely filled with oil (50wt). There is no void, which would allow water entry during submersion of trailer in water and cooling of oil."

tcmercil
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Are there any other "gotchas" on this? I'll be at a cabin this weekend with the boat in the water, so a perfect time to work on the trailer hubs...

I have a 2004 205v Trailer

I pull the wheel off - pull the small hex screw out - empty old oil - fill with SAE 50 racing oil - to about 2/3rds of the way - secure the hex screw with some ATV orange sealer - and throw the wheel back on....

Sounds simple? Am I missing anything?

rspiecha
07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
You can check the hub cover for tightness since you have the wheel off, but sounds right to me.

You might want to check the lug nuts after you drive around for a while.

Rob

tcmercil
07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
yeah - when I first bought my boat - the guy I bought it from didn't tighten the wheel enough..... needless to say - the wheel fell of - and through the bumper....

Kevin - It still worked out - so no hard feelings...