PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires

H20skeefreek
08-15-2004, 06:29 PM
I know that it's been talked about before, but I want to know what you guys think about car tires/wheels on a boat trailer.

I'm sure you are all aware of the Malibu Corvette. It's trailer has corvette wheels and corvette tires on it. I know that the load ratings on trailer and car tires are different, but if the load rating on the car tire is high enough, is there any harm in puting them on a boat trailer??

The reason that I ask is that i totaled my Mustang. I had $1,500 worth of tires and wheels on it, and I got to keep them. I'm going to buy a 2005 Mustang late next year and it will take a differen't bolt pattern/offset, so I'm either going to sell them, or find a way to use them (thought about saving them and building a 1934 Ford Coupe). I don't know if they are even the same bolt pattern as my factory trailer wheels (they are currently seized on), but I'm just trying to decide if that's an option.

Bert
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I had car tires on my tandem axle trailer for 13 years before they wore out. Towed about 3000 mile per year. Replaced them with trailer tires last year and I do notice they have less bounce to them with the stiffer sidewall but I would not worry about car tires on a tandem axle trailer.

H20skeefreek
08-15-2004, 07:11 PM
sorry, my trailer is single axle.

86Craft
08-15-2004, 09:27 PM
I would say that it depends on how far you trailer and on what type of road. 12 miles to the lake on new pavement, ok. 50 miles through pot-hole riddled interstate doing 80 mph...well, I don't know. They rate those tires for a reason I hope.

Jerseydave
08-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Consider the load rating on your tires off your mustang.
Are they heavy enough for your boats weight including the weight of the trailer, gear, fuel, etc. etc.

The best tire for trailers of our size are Goodyear Marathons. They are a heavier load range than car tires and have stiffer sidewalls too.
If you only have a single axle, I would not use anything else. My friend had an older mastercraft (1994) and he had bias-ply tires on his single axle trailer and couldn't keep tires on it. It really puts a damper on your day!

BriEOD
08-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Go safe man, Goodyear Marathons. Their is a good thread about this on the old site under trailers.

Here:

http://classifieds.mastercraft.com/messages/5039/12473.html?1090075656

H20skeefreek
08-15-2004, 10:31 PM
oh, my tires don't even need replacement, they're almost brand new. I just wanted to put these on 'cause they'd look slick. I'm just always playin' around with ideas to make things cooler. My trailer wheels are just ugly. I'm sure they wouldn't even fit at 9" wide. I just love the way that the vette trailer looks, and those are vette tires, so obviously Malibu wasn't worried about it.

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 12:20 PM
If it were me, I'd sell them, take the cash, pick up some slick rims, and put some goodyear marathons on them. I went a year not realizing I had car tires. Didn't do a ton on trailering, but the marathons ride better. You've got a lot riding on those tires. People are looking at the boat first and the tires second.

H20skeefreek
08-16-2004, 12:54 PM
I'll probably just repaint my current rims, keep my current tires, and use the money from the wheels to save for my '05 Mustang

Thrall
08-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Just to make everyone think " Oh, I had a relatively uneventful trip to the lake this weekend."
Went through three trailer tires yesterday. First one started leaking on the way to the lake. Picked up a rather large Cactus thorn in some gravel that had washed over the road. Sounded like the guy behind me had squealing brakes. No, that was just me f...ing up the side wall on the switchbacks. Changed to the spare after we were done boating. This tire had a patch starting to delaminate (never saw this until I had the spare off its rack, yesterday). Drove gingerly towards home at about 20 mph praying for 50mi of life out of that tire. Only got 10, and smoked it. Dropped the boat and trailer by some guy selling ice and water from his shack on the side of the road. (It's AZ, sells a cup of ice for .50, .75 if he fills it with water.) Drove into town to Super Walmart, got a new tire. Went back, put it on and zoomed toward home. Stopped after 30 mi to check everything was still tight, heard a hissing noise. The new tire had picked up a nail and was losing air. Drove home as fast as I could and by the time I got the gear out of the boat and pulled it in the garage, it was flat too.
Really glad I've got a tandem trailer.

H20skeefreek
08-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Just to make everyone think " Oh, I had a relatively uneventful trip to the lake this weekend."
Went through three trailer tires yesterday. First one started leaking on the way to the lake. Picked up a rather large Cactus thorn in some gravel that had washed over the road. Sounded like the guy behind me had squealing brakes. No, that was just me f...ing up the side wall on the switchbacks. Changed to the spare after we were done boating. This tire had a patch starting to delaminate (never saw this until I had the spare off its rack, yesterday). Drove gingerly towards home at about 20 mph praying for 50mi of life out of that tire. Only got 10, and smoked it. Dropped the boat and trailer by some guy selling ice and water from his shack on the side of the road. (It's AZ, sells a cup of ice for .50, .75 if he fills it with water.) Drove into town to Super Walmart, got a new tire. Went back, put it on and zoomed toward home. Stopped after 30 mi to check everything was still tight, heard a hissing noise. The new tire had picked up a nail and was losing air. Drove home as fast as I could and by the time I got the gear out of the boat and pulled it in the garage, it was flat too.
Really glad I've got a tandem trailer.

Dude, that sucks. You might wanna park taht thing for a while.

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Glad you had a tandem! Sorry about your troubles.

DanC
08-16-2004, 01:50 PM
At least now you can relax because bad things happen in threes :steering: .

Thrall
08-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah, really! The last 3 tire day I had was almost 10 years ago, so hopefully I;m ok for a while now. Doesn't seem so bad compared to Farmer Ted's excursion though, now that I read it.
Anyone got the 411 on discount trlr tires? I think the local shops all get $80-90 a piece for the Goodyears.

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 04:18 PM
My locals wanted $102 a pop for the goodyears installed. Bought them from tirerack.com and I think it worked out to $82 a pop after shipping and installation/balance, etc. The tires were only $62 a piece before shipping.

Thrall
08-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks Doug, that sounds like the way to go.

ski_king
08-16-2004, 06:08 PM
I wish I saw this thread 2 months ago. I wanted Goodyear Marathons, but couldnt find them anywhere, setteled on Trail Masters that were imported from New Zeland. Paid $130 pair, mounted.

Farmer Ted
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Thrall,

I'd gladly trade you three tires for the hole in my boat.

Thrall
08-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Ummmmm.... Let me think.... no thanks. Look, though, Jeremy just started a body shop specializing in fiberglass repair, you could be his first customer!
Seriously, sorry to hear about the mishap.