PDA

View Full Version : Leaky shower fitting

PolarBear
06-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Anyone know how to fix a leak in the fitting in the picture below? It appears to have an o-ring down inside but I don't know how to get it off and replace. Is there a crimping tool to squeeze the brass fitting to stop it from leaking? Hope it's not just a throw away part...

PolarBear
06-03-2009, 10:43 PM
No feedback? Bummer. At any rate, I emailed heatercraft (the makers of the shower kit) and they said it's a compression fitting on a hose barb and needs to be replaced. Hogwash! Did some thinking and I'm going to try and peel back the white plastic cover, cut through the fitting with a dremel cut off wheel, then just put on a simple hose clamp and see if that works. Worst case I'm out a couple bucks for the clamp and still have to buy the part. It's worth a shot. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

sand2snow22
06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Is it leaking at the black part or at the white and brass section? Does it leak with the shower switch on the dash on, off or both? Mine was leaking at the black part, I was lucky to hand tighten and fix the leak. Good luck.

PolarBear
06-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Through the brass part, not the black wing nut. The shower always has water flowing to it. It's tapped directly off the engine so there is no dash switch (aftermarket job). The pump draws water when you turn on the shower.

sand2snow22
06-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I like your idea, it will probably work. Guys at heatercraft are cool, but their stuff breaks pretty easily. I was missing the yellow shower nozzle. They sent me the new style chrome one. $20, plus $10 shipping and it looks like a garden hose one you can buy at home depot :( At least they were nice about bending me over. Like I said, I like your idea......