PDA

View Full Version : This weekend at Lake Powell...

Storm861triple
05-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Went to Powell this weekend. 4 days, house boat, 22 people, two 'skis, two boats great weather, good water temps, it was an all around great trip.
I came away from this weekend w/two major thoughts about boating/boats.

1. My boat is sweet. I love it. There was another in our group that brought down a direct crive boat; an Aztec! Never heard of one before, but it looked pretty nice at first; Shiny Black and white, nice looking tower and intigrated biminy, matching trailer....

Unfortunately for the owner, the thing is only 3 years old, and has torn seats (threads ripped at the seams), the engine was noisey, and it had no balls. Very slow out of the hole. The gauges plate in the dash, all its screws had pulled through the plate, and so all the guages bounced around and rattled all over. The throttle was SO damn stiff, and it had about 1.5" of fore and aft slop before it did anything...at any throttle angle. It was bigger than my 190, had a deeper Vee and made a biger wake, but still handled waves as horribly as mine does. Lastly, the structure is pathetic. There was so much hull and deck flex when you hit waves. I don't know how the boat could possibly hold together for more than a 5 years, as much movement as there was in everything. Just awful. So it really made me "re"-appreciate my boat even more. No one on the trip could believe that mine is 13 years old, yet looked and drove 10x better than the 3 year old Aztec. My boat ran absolutely flawlessly (as usual) and turned in a miserly 2.6 GPH average for the long weekend.

2. I rememeber growing up as a kid, the following is my perception and memory: Boats that did what they were designed to do but w/a smaller wake than another comparable boat, were better. In other words, it seemed like a goal of boat builders back then was smaller wakes. Nobody liked wakes back then. Today, nobody does, except for wake boarders. IMO, it takes zero skill to build a fat-assed boat that makes a big, shore-erroding wake. It's takes a lot to build one that minimizes it's wake. Now here is my "thing". There were fat-assed wakeboard boats down there where we stayed (Halls Creek) by the dozens. MB Wakesetters, Air Nautiques, MC X-ugly's, and so on. These folk apparently place a high value on CALM water; I got up before sunrise for the same thing, and was utterly dismayed to see multiple fat-boats already destroying the bay. So here's what I find wacky about this phenomenon. The folks spend too much money, on a too-big boat, then go out searching for calm water, which will be instantly obliterated by the very same fat-assed boat their using to enjoy the calm water!! LOL! It's absurdity at it's best. "Let me buy an overpriced, silver bullet to shoot myself in the foot with"! Actually, since this discussion is about the excessive, maybe a hand grenade would be a more appropriate device. Plus, like the fat-boat, the grenade will ruin it for everyone alss around. The only thing that prevents it from being a total joke...comody at its best, is that it is also ruining the water for everyone else. I placed my slalom course about a 1/2 mile to the north, all the way up at the end of the bay...in the trees where the water is only about 4'-6' deep, in an effort to get away form all the fat-boys. The skiing was O.K.(would have been epic if not for the fat-boats) but still, there were 2' rollers coming through there from fat-boats over a 1/2 mile away! The current trend is a sad one indeed. I really can't get my brain around the whole "wakeboarder-looking-for-glass" thing though. I mean, one pass w/a fat-boat, and you've just ruined the whole bay for yourself....and everyone else. Why not just sleep in a little, and then ejoy the same crappy conditions that fat-boats make, but during a warmer part of the day?

So those are the two main musings I have in my head after this long weekend trip. Which by the way was heavenly. I love 'ripping the course". Perfect weather, and water temps; Great sets between "rollers"; I had an awesome time.

-Tom

AirJunky
05-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Very close minded attitude, Tom. Have you ever tried to wakeboard in choppy conditions? Your comments make it seem like you think that you can do just that.

Have you ever been behind a boat & turned up your own wake? Amazingly you get the same conditions on the 2nd pass as you did on the first. Keep turning like that & you continue to get good water, pass after pass. Again, your comments make it seem like you don't know this.... even though you must as you do it in a course all the time.

And the boarders are not the only people out there who like the big wakes. Hydrofoil is the fastest growing discipiline in USAWA. So unless you can figure out how to get along with the 2 fastest growing discipilines in the sport..... and by far the majority of the boats out there, then it's gonna be a tough life out there for ya.

bcampbe7
05-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I'd have to agree with Bill here. Wakeboarding in chop is not much easier than slaloming in chop.

Tom023
05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
At my lake, the bass boats don't like the slalom boats, so I prefer to be at the top of the food chain. :D

Storm861triple
05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
I'd have to agree with Bill here. Wakeboarding in chop is not much easier than slaloming in chop.
I know.

I have a wake board, and do wake board when it's too choppy for skiing....but not too choppy for wakeboarding.

And I also know how a boat works air junky as far as going back throught he same spot for calm water. Problem is....that dosen't work when you're surrounded by rock walls. Waves bounce back. Your comments make it seem like you don't know this.

You all just attacked my for my OPINONS and OBSERVATION. no one commented on my point about shooting yourself in the foot. "I want calm water, but I'have a HUGE, fat-assed boat." A bit of a paradox is what the second half of my first posts was about.

Edit: and just because air foil is fast growing....that doesn't mean it's big, just that at some point, it may be. There are a lot more waters skiers out there than air foils. But that has less than nothing to do w/my observations and ponderings of the weekend.

AirJunky
05-23-2005, 01:33 PM
And I also know how a boat works air junky as far as going back throught he same spot for calm water. Problem is....that dosen't work when you're surrounded by rock walls. Waves bounce back. Your comments make it seem like you don't know this. Oh, I know it. I just don't know what you expect everyone to do about it. Should everyone just leave your lake to yourself?

You all just attacked my for my OPINONS and OBSERVATION. no one commented on my point about shooting yourself in the foot. "I want calm water, but I'have a HUGE, fat-assed boat." A bit of a paradox is what the second half of my first posts was about.
So are you thinking that just because they have a "huge fat-assed boat" that they can wakeboard in choppy conditions? In my opinion, this is where your off. Paradox or not, wakeboarders want a big wake & no chop, hence the reason why they use a "huge, fat-assed boat" and look for glass. Seems pretty clear to me...... smooth water, and a big wake.

I gave up wakeboarding in chop long ago..... way too tough on the knees. We ride a foil above it all now. But if the water is choppy, then the boat is bouncing all over the place, which makes the tower & handle bounce all over. So again, even foil riders are lookin for descent conditions.

Thats not meant to be an attack.... there would be way more four letter words if it was. It's just pointing out that other discipilines want descent conditions too. And till you start skiing off hours or on private lakes, then your going to hate those discipilines if you let it eat at you. Sorry you can't seem to see that.

BTW, an "air foil" is something that you jump off a cliff & glide to the ground under. An Air Chair, Sky Ski or Hydrofoil is what gets drug behind a huge, fat-assed boat like my 205.

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Tube anybody??? :purplaugh

WakePowell
05-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, I will stay out of Halls Creek with my "Fat *** X-Series" boat this weekend at Powell. I will also try not to upset the church going Utahans' with our tower speakers on Sunday.......

Storm861triple
05-23-2005, 02:24 PM
HYDRO foil. You're right.

I certainly don't expect to have the lake to my self. I just get bummed about the current trend of boats. BTW, I don't consider the 205 to be fat at all. I was just baffled but the paradox of what I saw, but you've clarified the reasoning for me somewhat. Still I PERSONALLY think it's absurd to buy a boat that makes the biggest wake possible then go looking for calm water. Granted, if you can have "that cake and eat it too", I guess it would be pretty cool...

To Wakepowell, you can go where ever you want w/what ever boat you feel is appropriate. I'm just going to watch you, baffled by the scene, then go rip my course again. Though I don't ever go to church, I would still appreciate NOT hearing the music from your tower speakers. Althouhg I didn't even mention that disrespectful annoyance in my first post, it's nice that you brought it up. No one likes your music as much as you do. Kind of like your own kids and dogs. Only YOU think they're cool. ;)

Storm861triple
05-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Tube anybody??? :purplaugh
LOL! That was actually pretty funny. And honestly, I don't mind the tubers as much; smaller boats, no TOWER speakers (now that we're talking about it), and well...they just don't know any better! ;)

No comments on the first part of my first post? Aztek boats? Anyone ever hear of them?

ski_king
05-23-2005, 02:34 PM
No comments on the first part of my first post? Aztek boats? Anyone ever hear of them?
I saw one once, I am not sure if they are in business any longer, their website has a link to the 2000 boat tests.
Very cheap and poorly constructed. Makes you glad you own a MasterCraft.

ski_king
05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
LOL! That was actually pretty funny. And honestly, I don't mind the tubers as much; smaller boats, no TOWER speakers (now that we're talking about it), and well...they just don't know any better! ;)

As far as the second part of the post..... Sounds like Slalom vs wakeboard wars....... :popcorn:

André
05-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Powell is a huge lake and with rockwalls,it's in another class.
But on smaller lake that are on the narrow side,i do think that ballast enhance wakes of big wakeboarding boats will accelerate erosion of the shores way more then others kinds of boating activities.
We had a Correct Craft SAN 226 last year on our 1200 feets wide lake.Johnboats were flying all over the place.
I've been living on a lake for 10 years now,shore erosion is a MAJOR problem everywhere.

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 02:40 PM

I pull a tube sometimes.. Kaylee likes riding it from time to time, but never around serious skiers. I don't like people missing up my water, so we find a place where we don't bother others. I have said a few words to folks about their music on the water. Mostly that Rap sh!t, singing words I don't use around my wife or my angel. I can and do get pissed about that. On the 4th last year, a group of young folks(early 20's) were playing their boat radio loud enough the entire campground area could hear it. The bad stuff too. I turned them in and they got caught with 13 folks in a boat rated for 9 with only 2 lifejackets. And of course underage drinking.. Big Tickets, I have not lost a second of sleep over it. The final straw came when the word PU--Y came from the speakers and Kaylee asked my mom what that was. I had already asked them to turn it down, but they said it was a free country. So, I used my freedom to get their butts kicked out of the campgraound and off the lake. Listen to what you like on the lake, but not in a campground with kids. :mad:

SteveO
05-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Aztec is Arkansas based. Maybe this is the toolmans company????

Storm861triple
05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Makes you glad you own a MasterCraft.
That's EXACTLY how I felt.

bradamerry, I like your perspective. I would have done the same thing w/ those guys. It sucks that it got to that point for you and your family. Not cool.

And I would do the same thing w/a tube; go somewhere where no one cares.

Evan Jones
05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Heading to Lake Powell for a wedding in Late August. Renting houseboats and ski boats out of Page, AZ. Any suggestions anyone? Sounds like a great place.

Storm861triple
05-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Heading to Lake Powell for a wedding in Late August. Renting houseboats and ski boats out of Page, AZ. Any suggestions anyone? Sounds like a great place.

I go to Powell a lot, and could probably offer some suggestions, but what is the mission of your trip? Drive as far (up lake) from page as possible to get away from the crowds. Dangling rope is a good point that 's about 1/2 between Page and Bullfrog...less crowds.

Stritt
05-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Aztec was George Fowler's company (founder of Supra), I think he partnered with Ranger boats in Mountain Home, Arkansas area to build the boats. Other than that, just as you described them in your post, I think you summed it up.

Leroy
05-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Way to go BRad! Always keep your local DNR number programmed into your cell phone. It just makes the lakes nicer for everyone.

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Way to go BRad! Always keep your local DNR number programmed into your cell phone. It just makes the lakes nicer for everyone.
I usually keep my cool in such situations, but not that day!!!!

6ballsisall
05-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Hey Storm, is it true the outlawed jet skis on Powell? Havent been there in about 4 years but seems like I heard about that.

bsimpson
05-23-2005, 09:51 PM
I have said a few words to folks about their music on the water. Mostly that Rap sh!t, singing words I don't use around my wife or my angel. I can and do get pissed about that. :mad:
I bought one of those fat a$$ed boats this year and added six 6x9s to the tower, two subs, and about 2,000 amps. I am pretty courteous about it though. You won't find me pumping hard-core vulgar music. I had a Zapco EQ added with the fader to adjust the balance from the interior and tower speakers so I can adjust the volume independently. It is pretty nice wakeboarding to music... you just have to be cool about it and know your surroundings. The same goes for every type of boat or power water craft for that matter.

And I am always willing to help out others. If you hear someone blasting something Grandma wouldn't approve of I can always point my tower toward their boat and introduce them to a little Frank Sinatra or Mozart. :uglyhamme

I'd also like to figure a way out to hook up an intercom to the system so I can tell everyone just hanging out at the ramp to get a clue. I had some guy wiping down the interior of his boat just after he pulled it on the trailer but didn't drive it off the ramp... he just forgot that there were six other boats waiting for a spot on the ramp. :wavey:

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I don't mind the music, it is just the type music they were making everybody within 1/4 mile listen to with them. It almost got ugly before my father calmed me down...

Thread jack warning..... Here I go.

I had another camper w/ jet ski call the Ranger on me because my rollers were making his jet ski turn side ways on the bank. He was complaining about a 25mph wake. After a discussion with him and the Ranger where the Ranger told him it was NOT a no wake zone, I showed him a 5mph wake, almost threw his jet ski in his camper.!!!!!! :popcorn: I know I'm an A$$.. ;)

Bert
05-23-2005, 10:27 PM
I'd also like to figure a way out to hook up an intercom to the system so I can tell everyone just hanging out at the ramp to get a clue. I had some guy wiping down the interior of his boat just after he pulled it on the trailer but didn't drive it off the ramp... he just forgot that there were six other boats waiting for a spot on the ramp. :wavey:
Now there is something that tower and speakers would be good for. Man I would like to see that.

Ryan
05-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Hey WakePowell - Utah has a dispropotionate number of boats/capita. Just think of how much calmer the water is one day a week because of those church going Utahns.

Storm861triple
05-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey Storm, is it true the outlawed jet skis on Powell? Havent been there in about 4 years but seems like I heard about that.
THey did for a year about a few years ago, to do an environmental impact study. There were still jet skis there anyway, and now the test is over, so yes you can legally run PWC on Lake Powell.