PDA

View Full Version : Rinker Boats - any good?

Ski-me
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a friend who is looking at a Rinker Boat but I don't know much about it. Does anyone know much about these boat? I tried to get him to look at MC's but for the price, he can get a much newer boat for less money. He's looking at about a 19' length.

I'd love to pass on some info onto him if possible.

Here is the boat he is looking at on craigslist:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/1194739904.html

Thanks!

BriEOD
06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I think they are a middle of the road kind of boat. Definitely not a Bayliner though. One of my neighbors has one. He never has any issues and the interior it pretty good quality. I'd consider one if I was looking for a bow rider.

Ski-me
06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
He had a bayliner and due to the snow last winter, it got damaged. Sold it within a few hours of posting on craigslist....damaged and all!

BriEOD
06-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Funny!

Well, if this fits he needs and budget I say go for it.

Commandohorn
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Make sure Rinker or the holding company is still in business, they are dropping like flies! Parts will be problem for those bankrupt companies!

BriEOD
06-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Commando--

Do you mean Porsche in you signature? If so, you're missing the "C". :D

PCMarine
06-01-2009, 03:01 PM
The holding company is doing just fine.........They just bought Crownline last Thursday !!

What other MFG has Dropped like a "Fly" ?

shepherd
06-01-2009, 04:09 PM
A good friend of mine who is a boat mechanic used to work at a marina in MD with a lot of larger (25' +) Rinkers. He seemed impressed with the quality. Like BriEOD, my impression is that it's a solid mid-level boat, comparable to Sea Ray.

Sodar
06-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Rinkers are great tube pullers. Ask Toober Tom.

SuperBee731
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
My Mastercraft makes a great tube puller.

Ski-me
06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I think for what he is after, the Bayliner, SeaRay or Rinker are in the price target for that type of boat. I've heard of the first two but neither of us had heard of Rinker. I did see they make some larger boats as well but don't know if that's their specialty or not.

Any other thoughts, I sure do appreciate. Thanks.

kycat2007
06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Just remind him of resale value. he could buy a older MC and use it for a year then upgrade and probably get his money back if he shops it right. The Rinker will lose value no matter what.:twocents:

Jimmauburn
06-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Rinker is going to loose value no doubt about it. Family friend down in Florida had one and he lost alot on his resale.

He owns a Mastercraft now !!!!!

ccowell
06-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Rinkers have been around for awhile now so if that tells you anything. I remember my parents were looking at one and then my sister said "I am not riding in a boat that rhymes with sinker" Possible bad marketing?

Jorski
06-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Make sure Rinker or the holding company is still in business, they are dropping like flies! Parts will be problem for those bankrupt companies!

Don't think this is a big issue at all.

What parts? Boat companies own the molds and they form the hull; but, virtually all of the parts are bought from outside vendors.

Further, these boat companies frequently change vendors and can't even get you the part that you require on a used boat. Also, they very rarely stock replacement parts. The way that Mastercraft supports used product is not typical in the boat business.

cbryan70
06-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I would look at the brunswick boats, HUGE rebates on them. What price does he want to be in? I have some new 2008 19 footers that are right at 20K. About 8 grand off our normal asking with rebates

Commandohorn
06-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Commando--

Do you mean Porsche in you signature? If so, you're missing the "C". :D

"Preciate that!

atlfootr
11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I have a friend who is looking at a Rinker!
:purplaugh:rolleyes::noface:

mattsn
11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally, Rinker was a family business - John Rinker. Now much larger and not family owned. Still make a quality boat.

Rinkers have been around for awhile now so if that tells you anything. I remember my parents were looking at one and then my sister said "I am not riding in a boat that rhymes with sinker" Possible bad marketing?

tex
11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
I have a couple of buddies who have owned several. They use them to just cruise and pull something very rarely. They loved them but at the time there was a very good Rinker dealer in FW. I think they would have bought a Moomba from him.

toolz
11-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I've never been a Rinker fan- I consider them about a half a notch above Bayliner. There's a lot of them around here, due to a local dealer, but even he admits they're a low-line boat. They do make an affordable boat, though. I would much rather see someone buy an affordable Rinker and be on the water, than not have a boat at all.

mikeg205
11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I've never been a Rinker fan- I consider them about a half a notch above Bayliner. There's a lot of them around here, due to a local dealer, but even he admits they're a low-line boat. They do make an affordable boat, though. I would much rather see someone buy an affordable Rinker and be on the water, than not have a boat at all.

+1 on that...my friend as a 1999 festiva, 21 foot with a cuddy, throws a wake an X-star would envy...4.3L Merc is a bit weak but enough for wakeboarding... all it needs is a tower...runs great and he only paid 10K for it. I love my MC but I luv his cuddy for tossing in all the stuff..

madcityskier
12-01-2011, 12:07 AM
The in-laws had an 89 Captiva 186 until last year. They bought it new and it was a great boat for them. 4.3 was plenty to get my 285lbs out on one ski. Wakes were large steep and hard. It wasn't a bad wakeboard boat, except that you had to be 22-23 mph to stay on plane. Very comfortable boat to cruise in and fine for pulling tubers and recreational skiers. The glass quality was very good. That boat took a beating for all those years in some pretty rough water with a great deal of hard use. WAY better than any Bayliner, very comparable to SeaRay and Four Winds. Definately not MC performance though.