PDA

View Full Version : Starter Rebuild, any concerns

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 12:10 PM
My brother-in-law had to get towed yesterday. New battery, and blower and other electrical stuff works. Turn the key and "click click click." I suggested to him that he pull his starter and take it in to get it tested.

I know some have had their starters rebuilt. But given the recent posts about how these are not automotive-specific starters, does anyone have any concerns about letting an automotive-specific shop do the rebuild?

jsonova99
05-23-2005, 12:22 PM
I never really thought about it, what exactly is different between the two?

bcampbe7
05-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I had mine rebuilt last year. The place that did the rebuild knew how to rebuild marine starters. Not sure what exactly is different about them. I went ahead and bought a new marine starter and now have the "old" rebuilt one as backup.

AirJunky
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM
does anyone have any concerns about letting an automotive-specific shop do the rebuild?
I'm not sure that many of the shops that rebuild starters are automotive-specific. Most of the shops I've had to deal with rebuilt starters for just about anything, boats, motorcycles, farm equipment, and other really odd engines.
Your best bet would be to ask them what, if anything, they do different for a boat starter.

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks. I'll pass it on to him.

jimmer2880
05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I believe it's just a metal plate covering part of it to keep the sparks contained.

Take it to a "mom & pop" shop that rebuilds auto starters. They'll be able to rebuild it & keep it "marinized" no problem. I'd be concerned about taking it to "pep boyz" or something like that.
Same thing goes with your alternator as far as I'm concerned.

Tennesseeski
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I took the one off my 88 tri-star to an auto rebuild place and it was going to cost more for him to order marine specific pieces he need than I wanted to spend really. He told me he had a regular car one I could have for $40.00 and if it ever needs rebuilt he can do it in less time and for another $40.00 so I went that route. Works just fine.

bcampbe7
05-23-2005, 01:58 PM
I took the one off my 88 tri-star to an auto rebuild place and it was going to cost more for him to order marine specific pieces he need than I wanted to spend really. He told me he had a regular car one I could have for $40.00 and if it ever needs rebuilt he can do it in less time and for another $40.00 so I went that route. Works just fine.

Uh Oh.........

H20skeefreek
05-23-2005, 02:18 PM
tennesseeski,

uhhhhh, not good. you don't go with a "marine" because of longevity, it's safety. Get that sucker out before you blow yourself up!!

bcampbe7
05-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Tennesseeski-
Not sure where you are in TN, but these guys are great to deal with.
DB Electrical (http://www.dbelectrical.com/marine/outboard.shtml)
Get yourself a marine starter, and be safe.

MarkP
05-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I believe it's just a metal plate covering part of it to keep the sparks contained.

Take it to a "mom & pop" shop that rebuilds auto starters. They'll be able to rebuild it & keep it "marinized" no problem. I'd be concerned about taking it to "pep boyz" or something like that.
Same thing goes with your alternator as far as I'm concerned.
Thatís what I do. I had the alternator re built on my Nautique at a little shop called Edís Generator. They knew just what to do. It was like 80 bucks and they removed and replaced it. Then they ran a hose to it and tested it

jimmer2880
05-23-2005, 04:06 PM

I could be wrong, but I've been told the only thing marine specific in these things are just covers, etc which can be easily moved and would not require serviceing (ie - replacement).

You may be fine running your automotive starter for 10 years. but- the one day when it all goes kaboom and throws you & your family into the drink with 3rd degree burns, you'll want to kill yourself for not keeping a marine starter and alternator on your boat. Cars have firewalls to protect their passengers. It's inpossible for our boats to have such a thing.

SD190EVO
05-23-2005, 04:16 PM
When I was in A1 Auto Electric having one rebuilt on an old boat I asked the fellow what the diff was and he showed me the little screens on the vents of the case. The only diff is that the marine version have these little screens over the vent slots. Very similar to the spark arrestor on your carb. The screens go in from the inside and can be removed and put into another case if necessary. He did starters too and I wish I'd have asked about those.

Tennesseeski
05-23-2005, 04:58 PM
O.K so I guess I will call around to try and find a marine one. When people mention the words "blow up" and "3rd degree burns" the extra money seems less important!!!

jsonova99
05-23-2005, 05:01 PM
O.K so I guess I will call around to try and find a marine one. When people mention the words "blow up" and "3rd degree burns" the extra money seems less important!!!

Boats are a whole different beast because of the fact the engines are basically enclosed unlike a car where there is open aie underneath and a really good rush of air through there air through the engine compartment at all times. Plus, the fact that cars have a firewall to separate the passenger compartment from the engine. In one of these boats the passengers congregate around the engine with that flimsy fiberglass box being the only thing to shield you. I've even gotten to the point where I run my blower the whole day, probably overkill, but with an older boat you just never know, better safe than dead!

jimmer2880
05-24-2005, 06:35 AM

very wise move.

I'm all about saving money by using regular auto type parts. But, 3 things that will ALWAYS be marine on my boat. The carb (if it's a carb boat), alternator & starter.

jimmer2880
05-24-2005, 06:37 AM
....I've even gotten to the point where I run my blower the whole day, probably overkill, but with an older boat you just never know, better safe than dead!

It's sad, but true. Good point on running the blower all the time. I think I'll keep my noisey one on the switch, but try to find a completely quiet one that is permenantly wired to "key on".

H20skeefreek
05-24-2005, 08:26 AM
does anyone know what brand of blower the current MC's use? Mine sounds like a frieght train, but the ones at WM are almost as loud.

adkins1966
06-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Has anyone actually heard of a boat that exploded???? I hear all of these warnings, but no evidence from not running the blower.

east tx skier
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
There's a picture on here somewhere.

Cloaked
06-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Has anyone actually heard of a boat that exploded???? I hear all of these warnings, but no evidence from not running the blower.Explosion is a harsh choice of words but yes. I posted a pic here just a few weeks back of an unvented area and a spark.

Cloaked
06-06-2005, 07:33 PM
There's a picture on here somewhere.http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2418

Post #5....

adkins1966
06-07-2005, 12:11 AM
That could make for a short weekend!!