PDA

View Full Version : Squealing noise from packing nut area?

LYNRDSKYNRD
05-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey guys getting my PS 190 ready for the water. I bought it last year in May so this is my first year with it, coming off winterization. Everything was going fine the engine was running like a top (in my yard). I decided to put it in gear and there was a squealing noise coming from the area of the packing nut. I immediately put it out of gear. Is this normal after sitting all winter? Maybe from the packing being dry? If not any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig
05-30-2009, 08:46 PM
It was probably from your strut and/or your packing. Both of these items are cooled and lubricated with water from the lake.

It is never a good idea to put your boat in gear in the driveway. Pull the warm-up tab to add some power in the driveway. It is really not the best idea to give it too much RPM's in the driveway either because it is likely not getting all the water it wants; if you are just hooked to a hose anyway.

LYNRDSKYNRD
05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
It is never a good idea to put your boat in gear in the driveway.

Yeah I figured that out about two seconds after I did it. So I am guessing it should be fine when it hits the water.

Craig
05-30-2009, 10:11 PM
If it was just a few seconds you are probably fine, IMO.

Watch your bilge, if you are finding lots of water you could have burned up the shaft packing which you would need to replace, no problem, easy job.

If you are getting some heavy vibration that you were not last year you can check the strut bushings, they may have been burned up. From what I understand, replacing these is not a terribly difficult job but getting the old ones out can be a hassle.

Worst case, you tore up the drive shaft and the other two items I mentioned. That seems heavily unlikely after a few seconds.

Again, I think you will be fine, just keep an eye on things for the first couple of times out. I have nearly done what you did a few times without thinking. My girlfriend about did it once too; I had to leap across the boat to stop her.

PolarBear
05-31-2009, 12:07 AM
I started mine today in the driveway. Read an older thread this morning about the same thing that happened to you so I sprayed some water up at the shaft under the boat. Don't know if that helped but it never made a sound. My prop was spinning pretty good too (partially stuck in gear- rebuilding the transmission in a couple days.

LYNRDSKYNRD
05-31-2009, 01:28 PM
I think it should be fine I didn't leave it i gear but about 2 seconds. Guess I will know tomorrow. She's goin' in the lake-so hopefully I didn't hurt anything.
Thanks again guys

BriEOD
05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
LMFAO!!!

Dude, you're fine. Go use your boat. Keep in mind, you need water or else that thing is going to squeak!!!!:D