PDA

View Full Version : Day at the range....

bigmac
05-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Bomb squad -- we had a lot of ammo to destroy, but while we're at Camp Ripley we always take the time to shoot through the inventory while we're waiting for the ammo burn pit to finish cooking off.

Trailer loaded down with ammo for the burn pit...

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/113114840.jpg

Fully auto Glock with stock and 30 round magazine...

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/113114490.jpg

AK-47...

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/113114493.jpg

No trip to the range is complete without the Barrett. Jeez that is an unpleasant weapon to shoot. We were shooting armor piercing incendiary at old track bodies at 1000 yards.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/113114495.jpg

BriEOD
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Ahh, the good old days. Looks like fun. A trip to the range is always fun. Did you guys do any high order dets, or just burn the ammo? That said, they must have a permit to burn. The EPA is really tight on that these days--even for old ammo.

A movie trailer for you: Hurt Locker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDHGF4tDdKc)

2RLAKE
05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
wow ... wish i was there with ya .... looks like a great time.

bigmac
05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Saw that trailer..look forward to the flick.

The ammo was a bunch of bad stuff and returns from Sportman's Guide in St. Paul. We did have to detonate some double and triple-base stuff - old blocks of TNT, some old dynamite, some C-4 and C-5 det sheets, some Semtex, and some barrels of some kind of gun propellant. The Army apparently has some new directive that they have to destroy their own ammo now, according to the Warrant Officer that was there with us, but he did bring along some stuff that was outside the capability at Camp Ripley. The way I understand it is that the reason we blow that stuff for them is that, since our excercise is labeled by the state as Bomb Squad "training", we don't have to file an EIS, whereas they would. We use the "J" range at Camp Ripley, which is a heavy gun impact area and certainly already an EPA disaster area. Gotta watch where we step, I'm told.

BriEOD
05-29-2009, 06:17 PM
The way I understand it is that the reason we blow that stuff for them is that, since our excercise is labeled by the state as Bomb Squad "training", we don't have to file an EIS, whereas they would. We use the "J" range at Camp Ripley, which is a heavy gun impact area and certainly already an EPA disaster area.

That sounds right. Although, I've been out of the game for awhile. Training is an exception to the Resource Recovery Act which governs the disposal of hazardous waste (which ordnance and explosives are).

BriEOD
05-29-2009, 06:22 PM
The Army apparently has some new directive that they have to destroy their own ammo now, according to the Warrant Officer that was there with us, but he did bring along some stuff that was outside the capability at Camp Ripley

Not surprised and I doubt this is new. We used to get into some real turf battles with local bomb squads when I did it for the AF. Bottom line military ordnance (even a Civil War cannon ball--ask me how I know this) is property of the DoD. Consequently, the DoD is responsible for the storage and destruction by regulation and authority of the Executive Branch. Also, there is a small rift in the EOD community between the military and civilian orgs. The military school is close to a year. Where as the civilian one is a couple of months. The military one covers all types of ordnance, chemical, nuclear, improvised, etc. Civilians only get improvised and some basic ordnance stuff. That said, civilians DO NOT have the appropriate training, nor equipment and technical data to deal with military ordnance.

No kidding--I've seen screaming matches between Police Chiefs and Colonels.

M-Funf
05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Looks like lots of fun...and also a bit unnerving (old, unstable explosives).

When we were on the Nitze, we were firing old 50 Cal rounds that needed to be destroyed. I think we went through about 4,000 rounds. They also toasted a barrel on one of the 50's that was due to be replaced (look at the deck under her feet)... Fun stuff :D

2RLAKE
05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
me, i had a typical day at the office here in Cincinnati .... definately not nearly as fun as you!

bigmac
05-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Not surprised and I doubt this is new. We used to get into some real turf battles with local bomb squads when I did it for the AF. Bottom line military ordnance (even a Civil War cannon ball--ask me how I know this) is property of the DoD. Consequently, the DoD is responsible for the storage and destruction by regulation and authority of the Executive Branch. Also, there is a small rift in the EOD community between the military and civilian orgs. The military school is close to a year. Where as the civilian one is a couple of months. The military one covers all types of ordnance, chemical, nuclear, improvised, etc. Civilians only get improvised and some basic ordnance stuff. That said, civilians DO NOT have the appropriate training, nor equipment and technical data to deal with military ordnance.

No kidding--I've seen screaming matches between Police Chiefs and Colonels.

I'm sure military EOD is better trained (I should hope so). Very few civilian law enforcement agencies can afford full-time EOD just to handle some sweaty dynamite, a few pipe bombs, and the occasional WWII dummy grenade discovered in grandpa's sock drawer. The guy who runs the Bomb Squad here though IS ex-military EOD and is some kind of walking encyclopedia on virtually everthing that can explode. They still give us the stuff that won't fit in their burn bin, or anything that needs detonation.

bigmac
05-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Looks like lots of fun...and also a bit unnerving (old, unstable explosives).

When we were on the Nitze, we were firing old 50 Cal rounds that needed to be destroyed. I think we went through about 4,000 rounds. They also toasted a barrel on one of the 50's that was due to be replaced (look at the deck under her feet)... Fun stuff :D

My job is to identify body parts and be prepared to collect them for reattachement. It's interesting stuff, but I'm always listening for someone to say "Oh sh1t".

The Nitze would have been a cool trip.

The Boss owns a Ma Deuce, but I've never had a chance to shoot it.

michael freeman
05-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Bomb squad -- we had a lot of ammo to destroy, but while we're at Camp Ripley we always take the time to shoot through the inventory while we're waiting for the ammo burn pit to finish cooking off.

No trip to the range is complete without the Barrett. Jeez that is an unpleasant weapon to shoot. We were shooting armor piercing incendiary at old track bodies at 1000 yards.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/113114495.jpg

What is unpleasant about shooting the Barrett??? The people behind you get more of a blast from the brake then the shooter does and the recoil on the 82 is fairly mild push with the brake, recoiling barrel and being a semi-auto.

Quick question: Any idea if shooting API into compressed tires is at all risky? I don't think the tip would ignite due to the (relatively) soft backstop. Secondly, I don't think there is enough heat to start a tire fire even if it did, but was not positive. Range owner doesn't think it is an issue, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to burn down the range if he was wrong. I assume the chances are nearly impossible, just curious if you guys have any input.

I know someone who hammered an API back out of a resizing die after it became jammed, so I know it takes a considerable hit to ignite an API, (e.g., shooting through light armor, etc.) But I also know everyone backed away as he pulled out the hammer and insisted that he was no where close to generating enough force to ignite the round. :)

bigmac
05-31-2009, 10:10 AM
What is unpleasant about shooting the Barrett??? The people behind you get more of a blast from the brake then the shooter does and the recoil on the 82 is fairly mild push with the brake, recoiling barrel and being a semi-auto.

The recoil from the Barrett is no big deal. Many or most deer rifles have a sharper kick than that. It's the violence of the explosion that's wearing. On that particular day, I was shooting into a fairly stiff wind and the sandbag was ripped open so that each subsequent shot left me pelted with all kinds of dirt and debris. I would have loved to go down to the APC body we were shooting at and inspect the damage, but that would have required a trek across an artillery impact range and I'm assured that can be a rather hazardous walk. As it was, the RSO required that a couple of guys walk in front of the trucks we took down the edge of the range to the burn pits, looking for mortar rounds. Units using that range have to log every shot, and apparently there had been some unexploded 60mm rounds. IIUC, even the training rounds have a marking charge.

Quick question: Any idea if shooting API into compressed tires is at all risky? I don't think the tip would ignite due to the (relatively) soft backstop. Secondly, I don't think there is enough heat to start a tire fire even if it did, but was not positive. Range owner doesn't think it is an issue, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to burn down the range if he was wrong. I assume the chances are nearly impossible, just curious if you guys have any input.

No clue. BriEOD would be far more likely to know. I do know that fires in a pile of tires is a big problem, if it occurs for whatever reason.